Becoming a T-Man!

Eh guys! I’ve been reading the articles on T-Nation religiously for a few months so I decided to join the forum. I’m 17 years old and I think I’m on the way to becoming a ‘T-Man’ one day! Hahaha.

Anyways, I began ‘working out’ at 15 but only have really been training for nine months. I just thought I’d show the progress I’ve made, my diet and my workout and I could have a few knowlegeable people help me out.

When I first walked into my high school weight room I weighed 120 pounds and was pathetically weak. I had a puny body and was anemic. I had an awful diet and didn’t take care of myself. After I started lifting I was hooked, I joined my first gym about three months after I started lifting at my high school.

THE STATS!

Bench then - 120
Bench now - 205

Squat then - 205
Squat now - 305

Deadlift then - 225
Deadlift now - 315

Weight then - 120
Weight now - 155

Body fat then - 12%
Body fat now - 9%

THE PICS!

My physique then…

My physique now…

I know I’m still fairly skinny, my goal is to be 175 pounds by June of next year.

THE DIET!

7:45 AM - 1.5 scoops ON whey with 250ml 2% milk, one banana with peanut butter, two pieces of whole wheat toast, multivitamin. (approx 45g protein)

10:00 AM - 1.5 scoops ON whey with 250ml 2% milk, two rolled oat bars or an apple. (approx 45g protein)

12:00 PM - Two large turkey sandwitches on whole wheat, one banana, 250ml 2% milk. (approx 35g protein)

3:30 PM - Large chicken breast on whole wheat bread, handful of nuts, a piece of fruit (approx 40g protein)

6:00 PM - 15oz chicken/ beef/ pork, a sweet potato/ two regular potatoes/ a large bowl of brown rice, one large bowl of salad, 250ml 2% milk. (approx 50g protein)

6:30 PM - Workout

7:30 PM - 1.5 scoops ON whey in water, can of sugary lemonade (to spike insulin), one piece whole wheat bread with 1 tsp peanut butter. (36g protein)

10:00 PM - 3 extra large eggs ( approx 30g protein)

11:00 PM - 250ml 2% milk with 5g L-Glutamine (approx 9g protein)

11:30 - Bed

Total Protein - Approximately 290g

THE WORKOUT!

Day One - Legs, quad dominant + Abs

3x8 Heavy Paralell Squats
3x8 Stiff legged deadlifts
3x15 Seated Calf Raise
2x8 ATG Squats
2x10 Squat Jump
2x15 Cable Crunch
2x20 Hanging leg raise

Day Two - Upper Body

3x6 Bench Press
3x6 Bent over dumbbell row
3x6 Power Clean
3x6 Military Press
3x15 Wide Grip Pullups
3x10 Behind the neck pullups
3x6 Curl Cleans
3x10 Barbell Shrugs

Day Three and Four - Rest!

Day Five - Full Body

3x10 FMDH (Front Squat, Military Press, Deadlift, Hacksquat)
3x6 Lat Pulldowns
3x6 Bent Over Barbell Row
3x6 Dumbbell Press
3x6 Cable Crunches
2x8 Deadlifts
2x6 Skull Crushers
2x6 Hammer Curls
4x10 Standing Calf Raises

Day Six and Seven - Rest

Day Eight - Upper Body

3x6 Bench Press
3x15 Barbell Shrugs (Snatch grip)
3x8 Cable Pressdowns
3x8 Barbell Curl
2x15 Pullups
2x15 Dips
2x10 Behind the ass shrugs
3x6 T-Bar Rows

Day Nine - Legs, Hamstring Dominant + Abs

4x5 Deadlifts
2x8 Squats
2x10 Seated Leg Curls
2x15 Standing Calf Raise
2x15 Seated Calf Raise
2x5 Sumo Deadlifts

I then take as many days off as it takes until I am no longer sore anywhere (2-3 days)

Supplements!

Mega Man Multivitamins
ON 100% Whey Protein
All-Max Nutrition Micronized Pharmaceutical grade Glutamine Powder
Creatine Monohydrate - Cycled off currently.

I don’t have anything specific for you, but I have to say it’s great to start out young!

Keep reading, learning and lifting smart (there’s no point in getting injured) you’ve got many years of progress just waiting for you…

Bump. Nobody has any advice or anything?

[quote]AngryCelt wrote:
Bump. Nobody has any advice or anything?[/quote]

1. Lift heavey shit alot.

2. Don’t do heroin.

3. Don’t hook up with fat chicks, no matter how much you drink.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
3. Don’t hook up with fat chicks, no matter how much you drink.[/quote]

Blaugh, you should have put “Fat chicks or butter faces” … got a little too drunk at a grad party last night and got with a butter face.

Oh well, I’ll just say I don’t remember.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

1. Don’t hook up with fat chicks, no matter how much you drink.

[/quote]

So, what’s your excuse?

[quote]kroby wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

1. Don’t hook up with fat chicks, no matter how much you drink.

So, what’s your excuse?[/quote]

i would take in more casein protien like in Metabolic Drive (except post-workout)

[quote]AngryCelt wrote:

Try replacing some of that bread with rice. And drink more milk.

Other than that, you have a great attitude, good meal plan and a weight routine that will give you results. I guess the only other piece of advice is:

Don’t quit.

[quote]AngryCelt wrote:

Well, you’re faring much better than most who come in here. You’re not seeing much because we can’t say “eat,” because you are, we can’t say “lift more weight,” because you are, and you are working on the not being skinny part.

You came in and said that you have been gaining weight, you aren’t scared of food, you lift actual weight and you want to gain more. You even have a plan to do it. You also didn’t mention Brad Pitt, or whoever that new emo/fashion guy is that everyone is pissed about.

You, my boy, are doing it right, and most of us seem to be at a loss for words because of it. Good job.

I’d remember that heroin advice, though. That’s important.

-folly

Don’t listen to these chumps about fat chicks and butterfaces. You’re only 17 man, live it up.

Oh, and um, keep working out and stuff too I suppose.

The politically correct term is “practice chicks.” We don’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings.

Not too shabby. I liked seeing that you are taking lots of days off… and eating a shitload… and lifting heavy shit… and no mention of Tobey Maguire.

Did you write this yourself? It’s better than 99% of the newbie workouts we see here.

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
Not too shabby. I liked seeing that you are taking lots of days off… and eating a shitload… and lifting heavy shit… and no mention of Tobey Maguire.

Did you write this yourself? It’s better than 99% of the newbie workouts we see here.
[/quote]

Yes, this program/meal plan was written by me. Thanks for the motivation guys! I’m definitely not going to quit… or do heroin, or sleep with fat chicks! lol

Oh, and someone mentioned drinking more milk. I’m lactose intolerant so I have to take lactase enzyme capsules every time I consume milk products in order to digest them. I’m already going through about $40 per month on the caplets so I don’t want to break myself!

Anyways, my actual goal is to be 175 pounds by the time I graduate, (362 days!) So I’m going to be training my balls off, resting alot and eating more than the average family!

Ugh, I’m too full to type any more. I ate two chicken drumsticks and a white potato an hour ago and just finished a 8oz piece of pork with a bowl of brown rice.

Anyways, cheers!

[quote]AngryCelt wrote:
danger-kelly wrote:

Yes, this program/meal plan was written by me. Thanks for the motivation guys! I’m definitely not going to quit… or do heroin, or sleep with fat chicks! lol

Oh, and someone mentioned drinking more milk. I’m lactose intolerant so I have to take lactase enzyme capsules every time I consume milk products in order to digest them. I’m already going through about $40 per month on the caplets so I don’t want to break myself!

Anyways, my actual goal is to be 175 pounds by the time I graduate, (362 days!) So I’m going to be training my balls off, resting alot and eating more than the average family!

Ugh, I’m too full to type any more. I ate two chicken drumsticks and a white potato an hour ago and just finished a 8oz piece of pork with a bowl of brown rice.

Anyways, cheers![/quote]

wow that sucks you are lactose intolerant. Why not get lactose free milk?(They remove lactose and add another sugar instead). 20lb in a year is way doable. Maybe you should try to hit 200? Fat will come along with your gains, but it will be much quicker that way.

It’s kids like this that provide a glimmer of hope to Professor X that all is not lost…Keep up the great work, you’re definitely on the right path

Whoops. I meant Front Squat, Military Press, Deadlift, Hang-Clean.

Uh, yeah. I’m beginning to suspect that I have OCD! Meh…

Anyways, just thought I’d throw in an update. I slightly injured my left pec while I was at work yesterday (my job basically consists of loading heavy shit onto trucks for 5 hours after school) so I’m doing to leave any pec work out of today’s upper body workout to let it recover. It isn’t that hurt, but I don’t want it to get worse.

Oh, haha… I’m also skipping the ceremony that I’m receiving an academic award at so I can hit the gym!

I’m just getting back from a slightly longer than normal rest phase because I’ve been studying for exams pretty hardcore. But yeah, after exams (last one is on Monday) I’m going to be working 50 hour weeks and training my sack off all summer.

Cheers!

I think you’re doing great. But you did want advice, so here goes:

1. Seems like too much reliance on whey powder. Might want to get some more eggs or meat in there, especially early in the day.

2. Calories. I think you could get in a bit more. You’re only 9% bodyfat? That’s pretty low for someone who is still growing. You could probably put on two pounds a week, at your age, and still not get too fat. Anyways, it’s worth a shot. And you won’t become a grotesque tub overnight, so you could always scale back if there’s excessive fat gain.

A good way to get more calories could be to carry around some mixed nuts, to snack between your feedings. Or perhaps slam some EFAs or coconut oil in a work-out shake. Just a few hundred more calories a day could make a big difference each week.

1. Vegetables. Do you eat any? Might be difficult, considering the amount of food you are already consuming. They take up a lot of “stomach real estate”. So you might want to try a greens powder. Something like a vitamin or mineral deficiency can stall gains and decrease quality of life overall, so make sure you’re getting it in (whole foods form).

You’re doing really great though, I just didn’t want to leave you without some more opportunities to improve. That’s how to do it, really, continual improvement by making one small change here or there.

[quote]Kailash wrote:
I think you’re doing great. But you did want advice, so here goes:

1. Seems like too much reliance on whey powder. Might want to get some more eggs or meat in there, especially early in the day.

2. Calories. I think you could get in a bit more. You’re only 9% bodyfat? That’s pretty low for someone who is still growing. You could probably put on two pounds a week, at your age, and still not get too fat. Anyways, it’s worth a shot. And you won’t become a grotesque tub overnight, so you could always scale back if there’s excessive fat gain.

A good way to get more calories could be to carry around some mixed nuts, to snack between your feedings. Or perhaps slam some EFAs or coconut oil in a work-out shake. Just a few hundred more calories a day could make a big difference each week.

1. Vegetables. Do you eat any? Might be difficult, considering the amount of food you are already consuming. They take up a lot of “stomach real estate”. So you might want to try a greens powder. Something like a vitamin or mineral deficiency can stall gains and decrease quality of life overall, so make sure you’re getting it in (whole foods form).[/quote]

Thanks a ton, I’m kind of stuck in terms of meat and eggs in the morning because I’m fairly rushed in the AM and for my second meal I’m in class (Ugh, Trig Math… blegh) but the summer holidays are starting so I’ll have some extra time to eat before work.

I could probably increase the calories, and I’ll try my best to do so by getting some more fats. I tested my body fat % on calipers but since then I’ve heard that they are notoriously inaccurate, there are links to my pics in the first post. I’m not exactly sure what my body fat % is, fairly low I’m sure.

In terms of vegetables, I try to get a couple of large bowls of salad every day and I might snack on raw veggies between feedings. I’ll try to sneak in some raw broccoli and carrots between a couple of meals during the day.

Thanks a ton for the advice. Oh, and excuse the long time it took for the response, its pretty hectic trying to hold down a part time job, train, diet and study for exams… Oh well, its all over on Monday!

Heh, I’m just posting at school after my Biology final and before work. Work till 6, eat, gym, eat, study, eat, sleep.

Hahah, anyways… cheers!

Hey guys, I just got home from the gym and I’m chugging a protein shake. I was kind of in a rush so I wanted to ask if today’s workout will have been enough.

It was a full body day today but I had to get in and out of the gym in a hurry (going out right away) so this was my workout.

Bench Press 1x10, 1x5 ,3x1 90%Max
Wide Grip Pullups - 4x10
Deadlifts 1x8, 1x5, 3x1 90%Max
Dips - 4x10
Powercleans - 3x5
DB Front Raises - 1x10
Bent over barbell rows - 1x8

I thought the workout was alright…

Walking home was another matter… a bunch of ‘homeboys’ yelled across the street from a skatepark “Hey cracka! Could yo ass dress any whiter?” (I was wearing some Levi’s, a dark green shirt, black work boots and a combat hat) I was kind of surprised but shouted back “Uh, I guess. Could you guys dress any blacker?”

One of them threw down his hat and started walking towards me. I got into a defensive stance (I did Judo for 5 years, so I wasn’t scared… and he probably weighed 130 at 6 foot), he starts yelling about me being racist, which I thought was bizarre since I just yelled back what they said to me.

After the guy threatened to “beat my ass” (haha, try it) the next time he saw me he walked off and I went back home.

Anyways, I was just typing till my friends came to pick me up.

Cheers though… and my question before I rambled: Do you think my workout was enough?