Becoming a Supple Leopard

I’m a big fan of Kelly Stretts work on mobility wod, as well as the voodoo bands. However, I was wondering if anyone has bought his new book “Becoming a Supple leopard”. Any thoughts on it from those who own it? If its basically the same as his mobility wod stuff I"d rather just access it online. But if its good I’ll def be picking it up

My girlfriend bought it for me because I’m a big fan of his, and it came in a couple days ago. I’m a physical therapy student, so I was familiar with most of the concepts already. I got it mainly for a quick reference to soft tissue dysfunctions and whatnot. I haven’t had a chance to read it in depth yet (finals week…), but it has some great sections on proper set up and execution for pretty much every lift and a good section on spinal stability. I do wish he would have went into more detail about certain topics (it’s focused more for a lay person), but that’s ok.

Good book with details on all the lifts. It has good chapter organization into body parts and segments. A good deal of info on self correctives and mobility techniques. For 35 bucks on amazon right now I would definitely buy it. I use a lot of the pages as handouts for my clients, awesome pictures and descriptions.

I ordered it. It’s a steep price for a book but I learned a couiple things just from the preview.

I’m hoping that I’ll be able to get a used one around half-price or so in a few months.

I ordered it, thanks for the replies guys. @ tcollin, I really liked that section on spinal stability. I’m coming off a lower bakc injury that has lasted 4 months and thats gonna be a big thing going forward for me. I’m trying to build spinal stability into my everyday standing and sitting, and this book has the best method for doing this that I have seen yet. Great stuff

Yes I agree. It does have some great tips for spinal stability. As a physical therapy student I really enjoyed those sections, I just wish it would’ve went into more detail. @bulkNcut also check out Stuart McGill’s information on spinal stability. That man knows his stuff. Best wishes bud!

Yeah man I actually have been reading his stuff lately. I’ve added some rehab stuff of his to the end of my workout every day and seems to be making a difference. I’m tempted to buy one of his books, I think its called Lower Back Disorders or something along those lines. Thanks though man

Also if anyone has any luck incorporating the spinal stability into their everyday standing and sitting let me know. I’m having such a hard time with it, I just forget and revert back to my old crappy posture.

The squeezing the butt has been very helpful too me. Probably a back save to say the least.

Does Kelly propose that, with these exercises, you can improve your posture/imbalances DESPITE working a desk-job, or does he say that you need to quit that desk job and do a more ‘cave-man’ type job (hunting animals or non-machinery-based construction work) otherwise you’ll never counteract 8+ hours a day of sitting down no matter how much stretching/mobilization/soft tissue work you do?

[quote]lunk wrote:
Does Kelly propose that, with these exercises, you can improve your posture/imbalances DESPITE working a desk-job, or does he say that you need to quit that desk job and do a more ‘cave-man’ type job (hunting animals or non-machinery-based construction work) otherwise you’ll never counteract 8+ hours a day of sitting down no matter how much stretching/mobilization/soft tissue work you do?[/quote]
I dunno but I’m pretty sure Kelly is not recommending we quit our jobs.

[quote]lunk wrote:
Does Kelly propose that, with these exercises, you can improve your posture/imbalances DESPITE working a desk-job, or does he say that you need to quit that desk job and do a more ‘cave-man’ type job (hunting animals or non-machinery-based construction work) otherwise you’ll never counteract 8+ hours a day of sitting down no matter how much stretching/mobilization/soft tissue work you do?[/quote]

I will tell you this. It’s not nearly as complicated as he is making it seem.

You can counteract that, but it requires consistent work.

Not sure what Kelly is saying.

The common sense approach is that even if you work a desk job, you can optimize your work environment to make it ergonomically correct so it minimizes the “damage” to the progress you make with his book. I work a desk job, but stand at my desk, and walk around frequently. I have a grip trainer I use to nurse a nasty wrist injury as well. I squeeze my scaps together, and my glutes, from time to time. Stuff like that.

The better your body works the more you can do things that people who’s body doesn’t work, can’t do. Such as deadlifts and squats. Sitting is in the same vein in a way. If you can properly squat to a certain depth, your probably going to feel ok sitting at that depth, as long as you keep the ability to squat.