Becoming a strength coach

This question is for Coach Davies, I want to be a strength coach, I am an EX phys major but I am debating on wether to run track in the spring and winter or to do as internship at a local conditioning center that has some pro athletes. I ran 10.5h in the 100m last year and will hopefully improve on this. Will running fast times help me get a job being a coach or will it not matter that much. I like to run but I am getting kind of big. 5’9 190 and would have to lose a little muscle. I was just wondering your opinion.

Couldn’t you do your internships in the summer? I would run track just because you can only participate in sports for so long. Obviously later on in life you can powerlift, Olympic lift, etc. but you can only run track for so long. Also having that you participated in track on your resume would at least make you look athletic. What does your strength coach at your school say? Also, are you wanting to be a strength coach at a private facility or in a collegiate setting? If a private facility maybe you could work out a part-time thing there during the school year, but I’m thinking summer would be better.

TJ- Good to see another man stepping to the plate to help out others. Honestly, I would go and run. It most likely will not help you get a job in the sense of just being a runner, but it may help in the experience of training your self. You also can always take the internship some other time. Live life now.
Jeff Olech - assistant renegade coach

TJ, is this local conditioning center a respectable place? Experience is the most important thing next to who you know when becoming a strength coach. Get as much experience as you can, but if you’re getting experience in a local rec center, it may or may not be a good addition to a resume. Look into interning with your university’s strength and conditioning program. Also, you don’t have to be a good athlete to get a job as a strength coach…it’s who you know and how much experience you have, how fast you run 100m is irrelavent.

Becoming a strength coach is a tremendously rewarding career that is better described as a “passion”. I cannot tell you the blessing it has been in my life. Given that you are still of competitive age and ability, you may wish to continue on the track this season and intern after that. As an aside, I would not let the fact that the local training center has professional athletes influence you whether you decide to intern there or not. The learning experience of working with younger athletes (high school - collegiate age) will provide you tremendous experience for both you and the athletes. Naturally, if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to ask. In faith, Coach Davies

I am in your same situation. I am a cheerleader and am about to do my internship. We practice close to 20 hours a week. Next semester i am going to work with a high school strength coach as well as design a program for my university(we dont have a strength coach). Be sure that you talk to Coach Davies. Hes already helped me out tremendously.