Becoming a Freak Athlete

EDIT: New title, new goals, new program. See page 17 for some more details.

Been a reader here for a long time, and i realized its probably about time to make an account. Figured i could make a log and introduce myself. This is to track my progress, receive belittlement and advice. This is starting prior to my first year of college…

Stats-
6’2"
190 lbs, pics to come to chart progress

Current PRs- All Raw, Deadlift only with belt.
Deadlift-425
Squat-345
Bench-305
Military-190
Pullups- bw+45x8, bw+90x2
Dips, bw+90x6, Bw+135x3
Front Squat-225x5
Curl-150
Clean-225, tested months ago
Snatch 155, x2 ^

Other Athletic stuff-
Mile 5:36
100m 12.-

About to complete my second cycle of Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program,
Results
Deadlift
Week 1, 325x10
Week 2, 345x10
Week 3, 365x9

Military
Wk 1, 140x11
Wk 2, 150x8
Wk 3, 160x5

Squat (no belt)
Wk 1, 265x11
Wk 2, 280x8
Wk 3, 300x6

Bench
Wk 1, 245x9
Wk 2, 260x6
Wk 3, 275x4

My deadlift has been exploding on this program, and i’m retesting 1 rep max’s next week.
Goals- by 06/10
Bench 350
Squat 450, 2x bodyweight atleast
Deadlift 550
Weight, 210 or 220.

Pics to Come-

-RM

Back-

Bi+ Front

Pathetic Wheels shot- Because my legs suck.

Other stuff i forgot-

Monday-Sledge work (core) Hill Sprints
Tuesday-Bench 5/3/1
Wednesday-Running-Distance (2-4 miles)
Thursday-Squat 5/3/1
Friday-Sledge Core work
Saturday-Military 5/3/1
Sunday-Deadlift 5/3/1

Lifetime drug and supplement free (besides protein)

Feel free to ask questions-
RM

Monday-Sledge work

15x straight down (right then left side)
15x “Side hits”
15x Twists with sledge

Repeat with 10 reps per side/exercise

30 hits all out, rest 30 secs, switch side
Completion time:11 Minutes.

Tuesday-Bench

135x10
185x5
225x3
255x2
285x3x2 (95%)

Incline DB Press
75x6
85x6
100x5
100x6

Supersetted with-
DB Rows
100x3x15

Incline DB “deep flys”
35x6

Dips
bw+45x5
bw+90x3
bw+90x5–>+45x5–>bwx5 (drop set)

Good heavy day for bench, got in a few heavy doubles and then moved on. First set of inclines with the DB’s didnt quite get into possition right, but the second set worked itself out. The sledge work i did yesterday kicked ass, my core is really feeling it. Running tomorrow, then squatting on thursday.

Nice early morning run while its still cool out.
Went with a buddy of mine whos prepping to go to military school, and we ran 4 miles in a little less than 40 minutes. Not really to hard, but a good workout. I’ve found that running a little distance now and then helps my squatting. Really have no idea how this works, just that i’ve managed to set some sizeable pr’s.

Thursday-Squat
Warmup

Back Squat-
45x10
135x6
185x5
225x3
275x2
(Belt on)
315x1
350x0 Got out of the hole, stalled, and crashed it into the rack. Fuck.

Split squats with Barbell
135x3x8

ATG pause squats, (1, 2, squat)
225x2x5

Back squat (take two-no belt)
250x10

Leg press-some weight until i couldnt do it anymore.

My squat absolutally blows. I’ve failed to see progress on it for a while now, thinking i might just smash the shit out of my legs next week and do a smolov type routine before i head off for vacation. Hoping for a big PR on sunday as far as deadlifting goes. Squat and bench havnt really moved in weight for a month now.
Conditioning tomorrow and then military press on saturday.

For future reference,
i write it out weightxsetsxreps

Decided to do some shoulder work today, take tomorrow off, and then go for a big pr on deadlift on sunday.
Mixed it up-
GVT type workout
Military press
135x4x8
135x7
135x6

Supersetted with
Wide grip chins
bwx5x8

45 seconds rest between each exercise. Wiped me out lol

One week til vacation, and seeing as i finished up 5/3/1 for a wave, i’ve decided that instead of starting off next week and then coming back on the “3” week, i’m just going to be doing a week of Smolov Jr. for bench, and smolov for squat. A little high volume to make me earn a vacation.

Foam Rolling and Lax ball work today, along with some light cardio to just get blood to the legs. Glutes are pretty fried from thursday still.

Everything looks good man, looks like we have almost the same numbers.

Where in CT do you train?

Deadlift-
135x5
225x3
275x2
315x2
365x2
(Shoes off, belt on)
405x1
455x1 (+30lb PR)

Huge pr for me, considering when i did 425 a month ago i had to hitch a little. 455 went super smooth, but my glutes are still a little sore so i didnt try for more. 5/3/1 is making my deadlift skyrocket. 40 lbs in less than two months!

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

Where in CT do you train?[/quote]

Up north, I’ll be headed to Uconn in the fall though. Right now i’m at a shitty little YMCA with tiny dbs, no chains or bands. It’ll be great to train in a real college gym lol

[quote]Raw Meat wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

Up north, I’ll be headed to Uconn in the fall though. Right now i’m at a shitty little YMCA with tiny dbs, no chains or bands. It’ll be great to train in a real college gym lol [/quote]

Nice… have you checked out the gym at Uconn?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Raw Meat wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

Up north, I’ll be headed to Uconn in the fall though. Right now i’m at a shitty little YMCA with tiny dbs, no chains or bands. It’ll be great to train in a real college gym lol

Nice… have you checked out the gym at Uconn? [/quote]

I’ve been there for a tour or two, and it seemed like they had a wall of squat racks, benches and free weights. There also trying to get the football program going, so they have a pretty great weight facility. I dont remember specifically looking for chains and bands, but i’m pretty sure that they’d have them.

For the next week i’ll be doing a 2-a-day type lifting routine, squatting in the mornings on mon, wed, fri, and sat, and benching in the afternoons/evenings. with back work and the like thrown in.

Monday-
AM-
Foam Roll
ATG High Bar Back Squat
45x10
135x6
185x3
225x1
245x4x9

Backs still tired from yesterday… good session though.

PM
Barbell Bench
135x5
225x3x6 (reps paused)
225x3x6 (touch and go)

Easy, but then again the first day of the week always is

Wednesday-Squat and Bench
All done in the evening, didnt have time for a morning session.
Foam roll warmup

Bench-
155x5
205x3
240x5x5 (Paused)
240x2x5 (Touch and go)

Back Squat-
135x5
185x3
225x1
265x5x7

Squats felt alot easier than on monday, possibly because i wore nike shox (monday i wore a flatter shoe) idk if that would make that huge of a difference, but my form felt alot tighter as well. On the 4rth set i was a little wide in my stance and my knees caved a little bit, but i corrected it and on the 5th set i feel like i could have gotten 10.

DB Rows
100x2x10 (30 second rest periods)

Good workout today. I’m liking the added volume for bench, its a change and i’m feeling pretty strong.

After my workout yesterday i had some knee and shoulder pain. Woke up this morning and it was gone, still decided to go in and foam roll for a little prehab. I really need to start making nutrition and sleep a priority, i feel like its part of whats holding me back. Yesterday i managed to have a pound of pasta pre-workout and i feel like it was pretty influential in how i did, carbo loading on the off days and extra carbs and protein on workout days. Just some thoughts.

Friday training-
Foam Roll
Bench Press-
135x6
185x4
225x1 (paused)
255x6x4 (All Paused)
255x2x4 (touch and go)

The tendon in my left elbow (not shoulder, my bad) has been acting up as a result of the high volume on bench, seems to go away pretty quick though. Didnt have a spot, so i elected to do the last 2 sets touch and go. The volume (and pausing) seems to be doing my bench some good though.

Back Squat
135x6
185x4
245x1
280x7x5

Squats feeling solid, not quite sure how 300x10x3 will be tomorrow. Legs are starting to feel alot stronger, and i think (unrelated side note) i think that i should be able to pull around 500 within the first month or two of college.