T Nation

Becoming a Bouncer

i am considering becoming a bouncer at either a bar or nightclub as a side job next summer. i was curious as to how much muscle weight i should aim to gain considering the facts i am currently 200 lbs, about 18% bodyfat and just shy of six foot and also what workout/nutrition/supplement plans would help me get to this weight. thanks.

well I would just eat everything you see and become fat as hell. Just kidding. Seriously though I would gain a lot more weight a lot lot more say like 60 pounds. If your going to be a bouncer your going to have to be bigger than most people so you can keep the little shits in line along with the bigger douche bags.

As far as training goes do a lot more compound movements say squats bench deadlift and even olympic movements. I would say stick mostly with low reps to get strength and size. You don’t want to be all show and no go.
Nutrition-eat everything
Supplements- what ever works, and I guess caffeine since you would be up wee at hours of the night.

A side note: I remember going to my brother’s college to visit him and we went to a bar that night. This bar had bouncers that were atleats 290 lbs and they weren’t pussies either they were able to toss these two medium size guys around who were trying to start shit with others. Thats why I recommend olympic lifts and strength training.
hope this helps
-Charming

standingonthebox.blogspot.com

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

I think you’re thinking about this wrong. It really matters little how big you are. It’s more about how well you diffuse and de-escalate situations. after that it’s about knowing what to do in full speed reality combat.

spend your time training reality based hand to arm and hand/knife/gun interface. Some good info on this comes from:

Tony blauer
South Narc

google that shit and learn what you can before working security. get tough not big. When I worked security last I was about 170lbs at 5’9" and barely took a shot to the lid-piece. It’s about being smart and quick thinking, not about being a certain size. The best security guys I ever saw were the wiry bastards that were tougher than coffin nails. Spend more time being tough and less time looking tough.

reading on the box is good too. so interesting.

But yeah if you think that x amount of pounds will do goatshit for you you’re bringing a spoon to catapult fight.

-chris

I agree with Avcado that you are putting too much focus on the wrong issue. Check out the following threads, it has been discussed here before…

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1830520

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1952057&pageNo=0

I had a buddy who bounced for private parties, he said it was awesome never had to deal with bad situation and basically just drank.

I would say the bigger the better, as it would help with hiring I bet. Either way just go for it see how you like it, most of the time you will have a team so you won’t have to defuse any serious situation alone.

I bounce freelance for a few places and its fun you meet alot of people.

I get into a few little tiffs but nothing too bad.
you have to be careful,its more about customer service and alot less like roadhouse.
you will not go around beating in peoples heads.your job is to watch and make sure no one acts a fool and you stop them before they start.

and mainly untill you get the hang of things really best thing to do is to let someone know whats going on before you intervein.
kind of a glorified paid snitch.

example is there are some people you tell “come on my dude you need to leave” and some tha tif you tell them that they will beat your face in and then have your boss send you home
you have to learn who is who.

also dont focus on how big you are ,your like me your short
all my guys are well over 6 foot and 400 pound range and I am 5’8" 280
you being shorter will cause people to kind of not respect you as much.
my approach is non confrontational.I talk to them like they are my buddy with the utmost respect.but if they mess with me thats when I will show them not to disrespect me.
but then again the bar is owned ran and operated by people from my old neighborhood so everyone there knows what kind of work I put in and they pretty much have tha tprior respect factor.

its a cool gig but stressfull and alot less physical than you would really expect.
hope for the best and prepair for the worst applies here.

good luck
I personally love private security its fun.

EDIT: a long post and I forgot to say
street smarts you have to have them,they do not come natural you have to had put down work in your day.
and remember be respectful,kick people out or whatever you gotta do but dont make it personal remember they know where you work.
let em know they are acting a fool and you have to ask them to leave go sleep it off come back later.
but dont go looking for fights.
obviously you didnt grow up like I did or you wouldnt be asking about this stuff so I assume you had it better than I did but thats neither here nor there.

you cant act like a bitch either people will be quick to walk all over you if you do.
get to know your people you will have the same people in there all the time.

Yeah. you don’t realize how much you don’t want to get in a fight after you have your first blood-borne disease scare. you’re punching some dudes face open and he bleeds into the cuts on your knuckles and then you have to get all kinds of shots that make you sick. so you learn to slap people because that doesn’t open them up as bad.

As such it really is more about being a good talker than a good fighter. The best security guys don’t even get swung at.

-chris

I can’t speak for everybody but a hand full of years ago I worked as a bouncer in some strip joints in Jacksonville Fl. it was an ok time, got to kick some ass and hit some ass, but to tell the truth it kinda ruined things for me, once I had worked that “club” environment it became hard to enjoy myself at other clubs even today if I go out with friends once I’m in a club environment(strip or otherwise) I feel like I am working.

X2 on what Avacado said, It’s all about De-escalation of a situation don’t go physical if you don’t have to, And there is some really nasty shit out there that you can catch if you get the wrong body fluids in the wrong places!

The reason I said you should gain weight is that think of it this way you got to guys infront of you ones about say 180 the others is about 300 and pretty muscular who would you fuck with if you had to? The bigger you are the more intimidating a person will see you as. PLEASE DON’T RESPOND SAYING WELL WHAT IF THE SMALL GUY IS A KARATE MASTER OR SOME SHIT I’M JUST MAKING A POINT. But on the contrary if that weight is fat it will do pretty little for you as avocado said. I agree with learning hand to hand stuff but I don’t think it is good if you really fuck some guy up might be bad for business right?
I think judo would be a little better to learn it would apply a lot more to get someone who is a nuisance out of the place and no punching is required another plus.
-Charming

[quote]I’mCharming wrote:
The bigger you are the more intimidating a person will see you as. PLEASE DON’T RESPOND SAYING WELL WHAT IF THE SMALL GUY IS A KARATE MASTER OR SOME SHIT I’M JUST MAKING A POINT. [/quote]

Isn’t it awesome when people tell you how NOT to respond?? Hilarious.

What if the small guy is a karate master?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
What if the small guy is a karate master?[/quote]

Lol.

[quote]I’mCharming wrote:
The reason I said you should gain weight is that think of it this way you got to guys infront of you ones about say 180 the others is about 300 and pretty muscular who would you fuck with if you had to? The bigger you are the more intimidating a person will see you as. PLEASE DON’T RESPOND SAYING WELL WHAT IF THE SMALL GUY IS A KARATE MASTER OR SOME SHIT I’M JUST MAKING A POINT. But on the contrary if that weight is fat it will do pretty little for you as avocado said. I agree with learning hand to hand stuff but I don’t think it is good if you really fuck some guy up might be bad for business right?
I think judo would be a little better to learn it would apply a lot more to get someone who is a nuisance out of the place and no punching is required another plus.
-Charming[/quote]

What if the guy is a karate master like Dalton? Or Bruce Lee?

Learn to box. Seriously a good punch, thrown by a boxer will end most disputes. Never saw a drunk guy last thru a combination delivered by a boxer.

It goes without saying that talking the guy out of fighting and just leaving is the best option.

Also watch the chicks. They throw as many punches as the guys often when you least expect it.

Its not worth it in my opinion. I bounced when I was 17 (lied about my age), and it was a nightmare. Guys waiting outside after the place closed because you kicked them out. Although the flirting that women would try was entertaining. Unless the pay is decent, which is will most likely not be, I would steer clear of it.

Dude, just watch Roadhouse about 7 times, that should take care of it.