T Nation

Bechler Lawsuit

Bechler Lawsuit

No better way to remember your loved one than to try to get rich off of their death. I certainly hope this woman’s only motivation is her misguided need to protect others from the “dangers” of these products.

And if that is your hope jared, you might as well just hope that your tubway contract will be renegotiated and they will give you 10x as much money and no longer require you to do commercials or eat their food…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Son of a bitch.

What a ridiculous lawsuit. If there were massive amounts of these drugs in his toxicology report, then he took it incorrectly. All labels specify exactly how to take it, and if he abused it, then it is his fault.

What a sad commentary on our society. Nobody is responsible for their own actions. Stupid money-grubbing bitch. Probably wasn’t even her idea though. I’m sure some lawyer saw that and met her at the hospital.

It’s always like that though. 97% of the lawyers give the rest a bad name.

:wink:

Any one know how far “significant amount” was above label dosages?

Not one publication has said how much the significant amount was Brider.

From what I read the kid had no food in his system, was trying to lose weight because he was out of shape, and had a history of heart problems. Obviously he either read the writing on the bottle and ignored it, or he should have read it. How is this anyone’s fault but his own?

To me it’s like the lady is sueing a gun company, because her husband took a risk, played russian roullete and lost.

Yeah, actually I know al that. I read somewhere that some one else knew that he was taking about 50% over label dosages. I agree, while it’s sad and tragic, there is no one to blame but Steve Bechler.

The article said 120 have died from ehphedra use. Heres another quote to make you think

“It has been estimated conservatively that 16,500 NSAID-related deaths occur among patients with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis every year in the United States. This figure is similar to the number of deaths from the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome and considerably greater than the number of deaths from multiple myeloma, asthma, cervical cancer, or Hodgkin’s disease. If deaths from gastrointestinal toxic effects of NSAIDs were tabulated separately in the National Vital Statistics reports, these effects would constitute the 15th most common cause of death in the United States. Yet these toxic effects remain largely a “silent epidemic,” with many physicians and most patients unaware of the magnitude of the problem. Furthermore, the mortality statistics do not include deaths ascribed to the use of over-the-counter NSAIDs.
A total of 16,500 patients with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis died from the gastrointestinal toxic effects of NSAIDs. Data are from the National Center for Health Statistics and the Arthritis, Rheumatism, and Aging Medical Information System.”.

Quote from Gastrointestinal Toxicity of Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs
M. Michael Wolfe, M.D., David R. Lichtenstein, M.D., and Gurkirpal Singh, M.D.
appeareed in New England Journal of Medicine, June 17, 1999

Thats right aspirin and Tylenol and all the other stuff we take. So why isn’t some damn lawyer going after Bayer and company on this one.

Just something to ponder

My advice? If you’re into ephedra/ephedrine-based products, with legislation pending to throttle the use of it, and frivolous lawsuits like these to make manufacturers jittery, you better stock up on products like Xenadrine RFA in a hurry.

Don’t buy it all at once in one place though. They might think you’ve got a meth lab brewing in your garage.

(Hey, meth! I gotta run over to the “Best Drugs” thread and see if that’s been mentioned!)

“Significant amount” is lawyerly language for “detectable amount”. He may have taken a fraction of the recommended dosage, but they’ll still blame it on ephedra.

Didn’t he take more then the suggested reccomend allowence? Is that the company’s fault? I don’t think so. I think she’ll wind up getting $0 now if he did take the recommend dosage then they might have a case.