Because Having Broader Shoulders Beats Having Lesser Burdens

Man I forgot what it was like to workout fasted, feels good Friday’s lifts:
Squat: (200 x 5) x 3
Press: (100 x 5) x 3
Bwt Rows: 10 reps x 3, 8 reps x 2, and 6 reps x1

Press feels like it’s getting close to a stall, still doing it though. Was at the wedding on Saturday, and I ate more than I thought possible; all that I can remember:
12oz fillet
4 slices cake
6 slices pizza
6 chicken wings

When I have the option of eating food, I eat. Always have, one reason why I was chubby as a child. Still trying to eat big, just trying to eat less shit.

Hopefully I am able to get to the gym and lift on Tuesday.

2 things:
everyone stalls on press. Welcome to the stalled press club.

why do the weights you lift end in 0 instead of 5? just curious. are you using like a 40lb bar or something? or are you actually using 2 1/2 pound plates?

I’m increasing the weights by 5 pounds at a time, so yeah I’m using 2.5# plates.

Got to lift fasted yesterday at my old xfit gym in VA, was great to see everyone there:

Squat: (205 x 5) x 3
Bench: (150 x 5) x 3
Weighted Pull-ups: (10 reps w/ 5#) x 3

Flip, meant to ask, should I be increasing the weight more than 5#s a session? I feel like I could do with 10# increments to the deadlift, given that I only do 1 work set. That and it’s the deadlift, where 5# increments is pretty damn small.

I would definitely increase more on the deadlift each session if you think you can. my guess is that won’t be a problem for awhile. Your pull up numbers look solid by the way. you going to be in Dallas anytime soon?

homecoming baby!

Had a good workout today, although it almost didn’t happen (the gym I regularly go to was closed due to game day)

Squat (215 x 5) x 3
Bench (155 x 5) x 3
Body rows (10 reps w/ 5#) x 3

Really trying to explode out of the hole with the squat. I think my natural inclination is to lose core tension when I do that, so since core tension is my first priority it’s been a struggle to find the bounce.

PWO meal was a carnation instant breakfast, followed by a bowl of homemade shepard’s pie and a pound of chicken, with two slices of fresh made pumpkin bread, washed down with a glass of almond/coconut milk.

Going to go a grad student tailgate, where I plan to continue eating more meat.

Hmm for some reason the site swallowed two of my posts. Here’s what I did on Thursday, excuse the chronological error:

Squat: (210 x 5) x 3
Press: (105 x 4) x 3
Deadlift: (215 x 5)

Think it was a good idea to start raising the deadlift by 10# every week, else I would quickly start squatting more than I’m deadlifting! Actually, it still might happen at this rate.

Abs felt used from the deadlift, that’s obviously a great thing.

Been trying to eat big, it’s funny I’ve almost always get chunky if I’m not careful and here I am only maybe 2#s heavier six weeks later. It’s not for lack of trying.

As you may have noticed I had my first stall, on the press. For the life of me I could not get that last rep in. On the last set I even tried cheating by bouncing it off of the bottom, and that didn’t even work, I got up about midway and it just got stuck. Will have two more attempts at this before I reset.

I am starting to wonder if any type of ancilliary work would help out. I already spend like 90 min at the gym with 5 min rest between my squat sets, but it would be nice to add some stuff to the mix. I just don’t want to wear out my body.

Since people are saying I look so sad in my first photo, here’s one with a smile. …I honestly am surprised at how skinny I look in this photo, I need to put some meat on those bones!

Always enjoy pull up day!

Squat: (220# x 5) x 3
Press: (105# x 5) x 3
Pull ups: (8 reps @ 10#) x 3

Glad I didn’t reset the press, as I got it today, although I was not above bouncing out of the bottom for a couple reps. Am really looking forward to Wednesday, I’ll be working with 225#, two big wheels baby! I know it’s still lightweight, but it’s a milestone that I’m glad to finally pass. I’m tired of seeing other guys working out with 300 + and I still have only one plate on the bar. Also Bench is on Wednesday, and that’s always fun.

…Just realized I started SS seven weeks ago, when I was squatting with 125#, 95# less than what I did earlier today.

I’ll say this about the guys working out with 300 on squat that I see in my gym. I RARELY see them go to any sort of decent depth. Almost never. I almost never see a decent squat at any weight, TBH (this is at LA Fitness, not Metroflex. Metroflex has good lifters). A real squat to 225 is a much better lift than most gym rats understand.

Yeah typically I see guys doing quarter squats and counting them as real squats, but yesterday it was like all the real lifters decided to show up. I saw about four other guys squatting, all with 225+ and all hitting depth. Could tell the dudes knew what they were doing, it was impressive. Damn college kids and their rap music.

Although I am happy with the strength gains, I am not happy with the lack of muscle growth. I have noticed a slight increase in size, but it’s probably something only I would notice, and no one else. I have tried hard to make sure that I’m eating at least 200g of protein a day, and I have upped my carb intake. However, I am starting to think this isn’t enough. I have no idea how many calories I’m taking in a day, partially because I make everything and I have no idea how many calories are in 2 pounds of home-made shepards pie.

Also, it’s a bit disheartening just because I’ve worked so hard to get to where I’m at (years of figuring out diet and stuff), and yet I think a lot of people on this board would look at me and think I rarely put work in at all. Like this is the closest I’ve ever been to a six pack, but I think by BF is around 12% (could be more, I don’t know). I want dramatic results now, damnit. I’m not afraid of hard work, and pretty much my whole life revolves around exercise and food prep, so I just wonder if there’s something else that I’m missing. I’m hoping that it’s me just not eating enough.

Over a decade ago, back in my early 20’s, I saw about a 24# increase in muscle in two months when I combined lifting with a mass gainer, so I’m going to try adding that to the mix. We’ll see how it goes from there.

Today was a good day:

Squat: (225 x 5) x 3
Bench (160 x 5) x 3
Deadlift (225 x 5) x 1

For some reason I was stressed about hitting 225 today. When I actually did the first set though, it was fairly easy. …I notice that when I squat with a wide stance I shift my hips to the right on the way up. I worry this has to do with the torn labrum in my hip. Oh well, I can still do this, it seems.

Had a nice post workout meal, will post later.

[quote]CacheMnyMustang wrote:
Although I am happy with the strength gains, I am not happy with the lack of muscle growth. I have noticed a slight increase in size, but it’s probably something only I would notice, and no one else. I have tried hard to make sure that I’m eating at least 200g of protein a day, and I have upped my carb intake. However, I am starting to think this isn’t enough. I have no idea how many calories I’m taking in a day, partially because I make everything and I have no idea how many calories are in 2 pounds of home-made shepards pie.

Also, it’s a bit disheartening just because I’ve worked so hard to get to where I’m at (years of figuring out diet and stuff), and yet I think a lot of people on this board would look at me and think I rarely put work in at all. Like this is the closest I’ve ever been to a six pack, but I think by BF is around 12% (could be more, I don’t know). I want dramatic results now, damnit. I’m not afraid of hard work, and pretty much my whole life revolves around exercise and food prep, so I just wonder if there’s something else that I’m missing. I’m hoping that it’s me just not eating enough.

Over a decade ago, back in my early 20’s, I saw about a 24# increase in muscle in two months when I combined lifting with a mass gainer, so I’m going to try adding that to the mix. We’ll see how it goes from there.[/quote]
A happy picture!
As far as diet goes, maybe you just need to be eating around the clock to gain muscle. You can’t have a 6 pack and gain muscle. You can get stronger without getting bigger. I think you have to have about 400 C a day over maintenance to gain muscle. So you’re gonna get a little soft. You don’t look like 12% in your pic, you look less. You look like an ecto to me. It could be you need 4000C a day to gain muscle, I don’t know. Use the usual strategies, double shakes with whole milk at meals, drench pizza in olive oil, carry a bag of almonds around, the usual.
Another consideration is reps. Could be you just need more sets. Many more.
Just suggestions, hope they help.

Thanks Strangemeadow. Totally ok with losing definition if it means gains in strength/muscle. I know it’ll be easy to cut fat once I have a good base of muscle. Nice to know that I look like I’m less than 12%, 12 is the lowest I’ve ever been tested at back when I was on the high school wrestling team. Also thanks for the compliment on being an ecto.

I take it as a compliment because when I stop exercising I gain weight like no one’s business. Only once I in my adult life did I stop exercising and in three months I was weighing in at 225#. Back in college I did one of those metabolic breath tests and I was using around 2.4k C a day, fwiw. So yeah given all that I have no idea why I’m in the position that i’m in now. However, I’m going to try adding in mass gain shakes and see what happens.

As promised, my post workout meal to celebrate the milestone of 225 squat. Pound of pork with spinach, collard greens and some sweet potato not pictured. Followed this up with some other sizable meal and then a double cheeseburger with sweet potato fries. Think next week will be the start of the shakes.

[quote]CacheMnyMustang wrote:
Thanks Strangemeadow. Totally ok with losing definition if it means gains in strength/muscle. I know it’ll be easy to cut fat once I have a good base of muscle. Nice to know that I look like I’m less than 12%, 12 is the lowest I’ve ever been tested at back when I was on the high school wrestling team. Also thanks for the compliment on being an ecto.

I take it as a compliment because when I stop exercising I gain weight like no one’s business. Only once I in my adult life did I stop exercising and in three months I was weighing in at 225#. Back in college I did one of those metabolic breath tests and I was using around 2.4k C a day, fwiw. So yeah given all that I have no idea why I’m in the position that i’m in now. However, I’m going to try adding in mass gain shakes and see what happens.[/quote]
Just make sure the “mass gainer” shakes aren’t full of shit, sugar and fillers. I’d recommend something like ON Hydro Whey and ON Casien. 2 scoops of each would be around 480C. Mix it with whole milk 12 or 16 oz, that would be pretty hefty…
I’d also suggest a complete enzyme (there are like 15 different ones combined for F/C/P) so you can absorb the nutrients and not have your ass smelling like a sewer and your tummy doing somersaults.

I think I’m going to go buy some OH hydro whey while my free amazon prime membership trial lasts. …What is the complete enzyme that you speak of? Sorry still learning the lingo here what is f/c/p? Much appreciate the advice, def rather my stomach be happy than upset with me all the time.

Fat
Carbs
Protein

He’s saying an enzyme product that helps with digestion of all 3.