Beating a Synthetic Testosterone Test

Help me with this one.

Can anyone beat a synthetic testosterone test. I know the test/epi ratio is the old way, but Floyd Landis ratio’s were fine, they busted him on the fact that the tests can now pick up synthetic use.

Plus my sport is track and field. Someone enlighten me on 1) how these guys are passing and 2) What the heck are they taking that they are so confident that they’ll pass

They can test for the specific molecules. Many of the drugs out there are modified testosterone molecules. Anything that deviates from the molecular structure of good ol’ test can come back to bite you. The only way to beat the test would be to completely eliminate the drug, as far as I know.

[quote]quiksilver1 wrote:
Help me with this one.

Can anyone beat a synthetic testosterone test. I know the test/epi ratio is the old way, but Floyd Landis ratio’s were fine, they busted him on the fact that the tests can now pick up synthetic use.

Plus my sport is track and field. Someone enlighten me on 1) how these guys are passing and 2) What the heck are they taking that they are so confident that they’ll pass[/quote]

Landis’ ratios were skewed, hence the importance of the isotope test to review the origin (which he failed). I’m not sure which sanctioning bodies will use that test right off the bat but if you’re NCAA then the most important thing is passing the ratio test in order to prevent your sample being sent for “further review”.

The other part of this is the creation of new molecules by tweaking old ones. THG of BALCO fame was a gestrinone molecule with some minor modifications to make it more anabolic/androgenic while scrambling the peaks that would show up on HPLC tests. There’s no shortage of possible modifications that could be used to make new temporarily undetectable “designer steroids”.

they now do isotope ratio tests on the test. endogenous testosterone has a different isotope ratio than the plant derived exogenous test.

not everyone is up to date on testing, so they get popped.

to beat the test, you must now ensure that any testosterone you inject into your body is the same isotope ratio and has epitest in it too. now i have seen claims that this is available, but i won’t believe it till i run a mass spec myself (call me a skeptic)

Yeah, I’ve read a few articles that said that one molecular change in the bond and it can be undetectable.