T Nation

Bear With Me....

Does during 4 sets x 3 reps on bench press, deadlift, and squat have any merit on gaining strength?

Thank you

Sorry for the stupid question.

YES

Absolutely.

As far as when to use that scheme, that depends on about a million factors.

My bad… what i meant is if the volume is enough

My opinion is that it is enough volume for strength, but not nearly enough for much hypertrophy.

[quote]Gianacakos wrote:
My opinion is that it is enough volume for strength, but not nearly enough for much hypertrophy.[/quote]

Strong lifters wind up doing a good amount of volume because of all the warm up sets done to reach the working sets.

Personally, I feel tracking volume on the main lifts doesn’t matter a whole lot. For those using linear periodization and volume routines like sheiko I guess it makes sense.

From what I’ve seen a lot of the strong lifters go heavy a lot in the main lifts, sometimes hitting more sets and getting more volume depending on how they feel. And sometimes people don’t realize that a lot of the volume work done for size comes from assistance exercises to bring up muscle groups.

Most really strong lifters are jacked and carry a lot of muscle. This is from working hard, consistency, lifting heavy, and the volume accumulated over time. Worrying about and tracking volume isn’t a big thing; just lift heavy, train hard and the rest will take care of itself.

who knows what your body will respond to?
try it and find out. if it doesn’t work, try something else. If it does work, try something else anyway, just to learn. Eventually you’ll figure out what does and doesn’t work for you.
if your in this for the long run, six weeks trying something that ends up not working, isn’t that big of a deal, so try everything.