Bear Mode/Rugby Prop Physique

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]theiceman13 wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
No one in this topic recommended Reg Park’s 5x5, yet you chose to do that program in spite of the other ones advised. I am curious what incentive anyone has to offer you advice in this topic if you will not follow the advice that is offered.[/quote]

Hmm i been doing reg park 5x5 before i made this thread, i was asking how many calories do i need to be very big and strong maybe 4000 or more cals???

[/quote]

You also asked how to train. You were given advice about that.

Your question about number of calories is easy to answer. Eat 4000 calories. If you gain weight, it’s enough. If you don’t, it’s not.
[/quote]
Oh yeah i should off told you guys in my original post what my current program was and asked if its good enough for my goals of being big and strong like a strongman physique (aka bearmode) or a prop…my current plan is very similer to SS.

I heard GOMAD is only for very skinny guys like 140lbs but i could be wrong.

I think if you use all the advice you have received so far you will achieve your goals.

Am i too light for my bone structure? according to my elbow breadth, i am large boned but according to my wrists, i am medium boned, i weight 183lbs.

As you know my goals are not to be shredded or ripped but to be big and strong, be over 200lbs.

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

I want to know what i should eat and train to acheive the …hooker physique
My current stats are 5’11 and 184lbs, i am big boned too.
[/quote]
Hookers come in all shapes and sizes
[/quote]

They’re not my thing but I never really understood that if you’re gonna pay for it why there’s guys who like the old fat ones. It takes all sorts I guess.[/quote]

Maybe some guys get too nervous around the young hot ones

My goals are to be big and strong like a strongman or rugby prop, i want aim for 17 stone obviously it will be fat and muscle etc but am not bothered about having a six pack, i want to lift to be big and strong not pretty…soo should i aim for 4000 calories and compounds.

I know to be big and ripped you need to be on the juice (and not the orange kind either)unless you have very rare great genetics but since am doing it naturally, i will be big but not ripped.[/quote]

I used to bulk on 3500 cals/day when not doing judo. I was 197 lbs. When Judo practice started again after my sensei’s injury recovery, I dropped down to 175 within a few months, same calorie intake. My sensei told me to just eat a loaf bread everyday along with everything else

The point is, some strongman/powerlifting competitors will say they bulk on x cals. But, their sport is lifting. You are doing a lot more cardio when you practice your sport, and only another rugby player has a good sense of how much cardio that is. You really need to eat as much as possible and make sure you’re gaining weight at a reasonable pace, no one can give you a concrete number except another rugby player.

GOMAD works though

Am i too light for my bone structure? according to my elbow breadth, i am large boned but according to my wrists, i am medium boned, i weight 183lbs.

As you know my goals are not to be shredded or ripped but to be big and strong, be over 200lbs.[/quote]

You have lost 1lb since you started this topic. It looks like 4000 calories a day is not enough. You should eat more.

As you know my goals are not to be shredded or ripped but to be big and strong, be over 200lbs.[/quote]

Firstly, if your train and eat in a way that you end up:

1. big
  2. strong
  3. over 200

Then what does it matter what your bone structure is?

Secondly, and I’m entertaining this just because I find it interesting, although completely irrelevant…

Traditionally when discussing bone structure, you measure at the wrist and the ankle, not the elbow. However, wrist and ankle size can increase with lifting. Not because the bones get bigger, but because the tendons get larger over time as they adapt to increasingly greater stress.

There are many recorded cases from the early 20th century where wrist sizes increased from lifting.

Here’s some excerpts from the book “The Key to Might and Muscle” by George Jowett:

And he talks about some other stuff, and then that the tendons and ligaments of the wrist get thicker, and that’s how the wrist size grows.

Ok this is retarded.

You can only gain muscle and fat when you gain weight. You don’t gain bulky muscle, lean muscle, quality muscle, fake muscle, natural muscle, super saiyan muscle etc. It’s either fat or muscle. Nothing else. The only difference in the end is how much water you’re carrying and how much muscle is visible under the fat you’re carrying.

Any workout with progressive resistance will let you gain muscle. If you are after certain PROPORTIONS, you put emphasis on the areas which will give you these proportions.

How much weight you need to gain will have to be judged by how you look in the mirror from week to week. How can anyone possibly tell you when no one knows your true level of development, frame and proportions when you refuse to post a pic of yourself but instead choose to describe your bone structure?

Wrist/bone whatever is the most inconsequential crap. Follow the info on this site and put in massive action and you will get hayooge.

What has your training been like the past week?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Firstly, if your train and eat in a way that you end up:

1. big
  2. strong
  3. over 200

Then what does it matter what your bone structure is?

Secondly, and I’m entertaining this just because I find it interesting, although completely irrelevant…

Traditionally when discussing bone structure, you measure at the wrist and the ankle, not the elbow. However, wrist and ankle size can increase with lifting. Not because the bones get bigger, but because the tendons get larger over time as they adapt to increasingly greater stress.

There are many recorded cases from the early 20th century where wrist sizes increased from lifting.

Here’s some excerpts from the book “The Key to Might and Muscle” by George Jowett:

And he talks about some other stuff, and then that the tendons and ligaments of the wrist get thicker, and that’s how the wrist size grows.

The elbow width/breadth measurment according to a lot of people is a lot more accurate then wrists also every bone frame calculator asks me for wrist or elbows not ankles lol.

The elbow width/breadth measurment according to a lot of people is a lot more accurate then wrists also every bone frame calculator asks me for wrist or elbows not ankles lol.
[/quote]
Accurate for what?

But, really, why does this even matter? Why are you even looking at “bone frame calculators”?

If you want to be big, strong, and weigh 200+ pounds, then do what it takes to be big, strong, and 200+.

If you actually read what Jowett wrote above, he said “it doesn’t matter where you start, just train and eat and wrist size will take care of itself”. Which is, well, what everyone else is saying to you too.

This topic upsets me, because it’s a legitimately interesting topic of conversation and something that is worth exploring but is going in such a terrible direction.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[/quote]
Accurate for what?

But, really, why does this even matter? Why are you even looking at “bone frame calculators”?

If you want to be big, strong, and weigh 200+ pounds, then do what it takes to be big, strong, and 200+.

If you actually read what Jowett wrote above, he said “it doesn’t matter where you start, just train and eat and wrist size will take care of itself”. Which is, well, what everyone else is saying to you too.[/quote]
Its accurate for determaining bone structure and that i heard that bone size determines how big you will grow and a small boned guy who is averages 140 to 150lbs will be never be 200lbs.

I have heard that a strongman named Doug Hepburn who was 5’8 and 300lbs was a normal sized guy before he worked out.

Btw i find this site a lot better then b.com who are full of trolls who only care about getting shredded for the girls and mock powerlifters/strongmen and give out stupid answers

Here’s a few before/afters. Notice how none of them had very big wrists or elbows to start out with.

Bertil Fox:

Kevin Levrone:

Lee Priest

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Rolander Kickinger

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Here’s a few before/afters. Notice how none of them had very big wrists or elbows to start out with.

Kevin Levrone:

Lee Priest

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Rolander Kickinger
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag112/loreztnation/222rolander-kickinger33_zpse4misixj.jpg[/quote]

Those guys are on the juice thro.

Those guys are on the juice thro.[/quote]

You wanted to know whether people with a smaller frame can support significant levels of muscle. Every single one of those pictures demonstrates that it’s possible.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

You wanted to know whether people with a smaller frame can support significant levels of muscle. Every single one of those pictures demonstrates that it’s possible.[/quote]
The only reason these guys can support that amount of muscle is because of steroids.

I really feel like we are getting off track. TC, do you have any more questions?

I’ll take that as a no.

Good luck on your training. Keep us updated.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

You wanted to know whether people with a smaller frame can support significant levels of muscle. Every single one of those pictures demonstrates that it’s possible.[/quote]
The only reason these guys can support that amount of muscle is because of steroids.[/quote]

Can of worms opening - the majority of people with any physique comparable to those guys used steroids to get there, that doesn’t make Lorez’s point about bone structure not being a limiting factor any less valid.
Besides, the 230lbs bear mode (read: 20-30% bf) physique you’re after isn’t comparable to elite bodybuilders. You will not be carrying anywhere near as much muscle as those guys, and steroids will not be any concern of yours for a while.
Stop limiting yourself by focusing on bullshit noone big and strong actually cares about.