T Nation

Bear Mode/Rugby Prop Physique


#1

I want to know what i should eat and train to acheive the bear mode or better the rugby prop/hooker physique...how long should i bulk as i want to be massive.

My current stats are 5'11 and 184lbs, i am big boned too.


Funniest Threads
#2

How long? A long long time. Regarding eating? Start with as much clean(ish) foods as you can.


#3

I can finally type this in good conscience.

Starting Strength + GOMAD!


#4

What weight should i aim for in terms of bulking? btw am no ectomorph soo am not gomad lol


#5

[quote]theiceman13 wrote:
I want to know what i should eat and train to acheive the …hooker physique
My current stats are 5’11 and 184lbs, i am big boned too.
[/quote]
Hookers come in all shapes and sizes


#6

I want the bear mode/rugby prop physique soo what weight should i aim for as i want to be massive.


#7

give examples of how you want to look and provide a picture of how you currently look


#8

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]theiceman13 wrote:
I want to know what i should eat and train to acheive the …hooker physique
My current stats are 5’11 and 184lbs, i am big boned too.
[/quote]
Hookers come in all shapes and sizes
[/quote]

They’re not my thing but I never really understood that if you’re gonna pay for it why there’s guys who like the old fat ones. It takes all sorts I guess.


#9

Pretty simply just find an example of the physique resembling what you want to look like, you can find stats of rugby players online pretty easily, so find one who is about the same height for simplicities, then see what the weight difference is and hey presto, that’s how much weight you’d need to put on. I’m obviously leaving out the glaringly obvious fat-muscle ratio thing but whatever, it’s a pretty stupid question in that no one can give you a definite answer of how long to bulk for, just keep lifting and eating till you get to where you want to be.


#10

Ok, seriously, why don’t you just post a pic of yourself (minus the face if needed) and we’ll see how far you need to go.


#11

I met a guy on the weekend who plays pro rugby as a front row. He’s 6’1, 130kgs/284lbs. He’s reasonably lean (for a guy that size) too, hasn’t touched gear, and is 24 years old. So I’d say you need to put on about 100lbs of useful mass, without much of it coming from fat gain, if you want the actual physique of a rugby hooker.

The thing I’d caution against, having stood toe-to-toe as it were wth one of these guys, is thinking you can achieve that physique unless you are born for it. You say you are quite big boned, but you’re still 100lbs/45kgs lighter naturally than a guy with the physique you want. Without trying to discourage you from pursuing your goal, you should be aware just how massive these guys are naturally. They could never touch a weight and they’d still outweight you by 70lbs or so, probably by the time they are 18. I’m all for the whole ‘chase your dreams, don’t let anybody tell you otherwise, only you can determine how far you can go’ etc, but a degree of realism will help guard against making poor choices with your diet and training. These guys really are naturally far, far bigger than even more ‘big-boned’ human beings.

There was an article on the bbc the other day that showed what one of the Welsh forwards ate everyday to maintain his weight. It was about 8000 calories. And he was ‘only’ 18 stone.


#12

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
I met a guy on the weekend who plays pro rugby as a front row. He’s 6’1, 130kgs/284lbs. He’s reasonably lean (for a guy that size) too, hasn’t touched gear, and is 24 years old. So I’d say you need to put on about 100lbs of useful mass, without much of it coming from fat gain, if you want the actual physique of a rugby hooker.

The thing I’d caution against, having stood toe-to-toe as it were wth one of these guys, is thinking you can achieve that physique unless you are born for it. You say you are quite big boned, but you’re still 100lbs/45kgs lighter naturally than a guy with the physique you want. Without trying to discourage you from pursuing your goal, you should be aware just how massive these guys are naturally. They could never touch a weight and they’d still outweight you by 70lbs or so, probably by the time they are 18. I’m all for the whole ‘chase your dreams, don’t let anybody tell you otherwise, only you can determine how far you can go’ etc, but a degree of realism will help guard against making poor choices with your diet and training. These guys really are naturally far, far bigger than even more ‘big-boned’ human beings.

There was an article on the bbc the other day that showed what one of the Welsh forwards ate everyday to maintain his weight. It was about 8000 calories. And he was ‘only’ 18 stone. [/quote]

Not being funny but i doubt your friend is natural and you dont have to be 100lbs heavier lol and yeah i weigh about 184 but i have big bone structure but i am probably undereating…my uncle used to be 17 and a half stone at 5’8 and he was normal sized as a child.
I want to get too 230lbs.


#13

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]theiceman13 wrote:
I want to know what i should eat and train to acheive the …hooker physique
My current stats are 5’11 and 184lbs, i am big boned too.
[/quote]
Hookers come in all shapes and sizes
[/quote]

They’re not my thing but I never really understood that if you’re gonna pay for it why there’s guys who like the old fat ones. It takes all sorts I guess.[/quote]
This guy is driving across Nevada and decides to stop into a brothel. He walks in, the lady at the front desk greets him and asks what he’s looking for. The guy says " Here’s $300, so bring me the ugliest woman you have…and a ham sandwich." The lady says “for $300 you can have our prettiest girl and a steak dinner.” The man replies “I’m not horny, I’m homesick.”


#14

This…

load up on workout supps/aminos etc and eat every scrap of clean food thats not tied down


#15

My goals are to be big and strong like a strongman or rugby prop, i want aim for 17 stone obviously it will be fat and muscle etc but am not bothered about having a six pack, i want to lift to be big and strong not pretty…soo should i aim for 4000 calories and compounds.

I know to be big and ripped you need to be on the juice (and not the orange kind either)unless you have very rare great genetics but since am doing it naturally, i will be big but not ripped.


#16

[quote]theiceman13 wrote:
My goals are to be big and strong like a strongman or rugby prop, i want aim for 17 stone obviously it will be fat and muscle etc but am not bothered about having a six pack, i want to lift to be big and strong not pretty…soo should i aim for 4000 calories and compounds.

I know to be big and ripped you need to be on the juice (and not the orange kind either)unless you have very rare great genetics but since am doing it naturally, i will be big but not ripped.[/quote]

How has that program that RampantBadger suggested worked out for you so far?


#17

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]theiceman13 wrote:
My goals are to be big and strong like a strongman or rugby prop, i want aim for 17 stone obviously it will be fat and muscle etc but am not bothered about having a six pack, i want to lift to be big and strong not pretty…soo should i aim for 4000 calories and compounds.

I know to be big and ripped you need to be on the juice (and not the orange kind either)unless you have very rare great genetics but since am doing it naturally, i will be big but not ripped.[/quote]

How has that program that RampantBadger suggested worked out for you so far?
[/quote]
No not yet as i am currently doing reg park 5x5 beginner (very similer to starting strength accept it has barbell rows instead of power cleans) i probably need to fucus on my meal plan, is 4000 cakories enough?


#18

No one in this topic recommended Reg Park’s 5x5, yet you chose to do that program in spite of the other ones advised. I am curious what incentive anyone has to offer you advice in this topic if you will not follow the advice that is offered.


#19

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
No one in this topic recommended Reg Park’s 5x5, yet you chose to do that program in spite of the other ones advised. I am curious what incentive anyone has to offer you advice in this topic if you will not follow the advice that is offered.[/quote]

Hmm i been doing reg park 5x5 before i made this thread, i was asking how many calories do i need to be very big and strong maybe 4000 or more cals???


#20

[quote]theiceman13 wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
No one in this topic recommended Reg Park’s 5x5, yet you chose to do that program in spite of the other ones advised. I am curious what incentive anyone has to offer you advice in this topic if you will not follow the advice that is offered.[/quote]

Hmm i been doing reg park 5x5 before i made this thread, i was asking how many calories do i need to be very big and strong maybe 4000 or more cals???

[/quote]

You also asked how to train. You were given advice about that.

Your question about number of calories is easy to answer. Eat 4000 calories. If you gain weight, it’s enough. If you don’t, it’s not.