Beans Instead of Grains?

With the exception of some oats or quinoa pwo, would it be beneficial in a fat-loss diet to get your carbs from beans?

Also, is the convenience of canned beans worth the higher sodium content (could that lead to excess bloating?) or should I just suck it up and try soaking/boiling beans?

Beans are very fiberous,with some good proteins and all kinds of good stuff for you.I think even Berardi classifies them as “anytime” foods.I normally buy them in cans,but look for the organic,with no extras except water.

Go with lentils. Much more filling, cheaper, higher in protein, fiber…you can’t go wrong with lentils imo.

[quote]kellerdp wrote:
With the exception of some oats or quinoa pwo, would it be beneficial in a fat-loss diet to get your carbs from beans?

Also, is the convenience of canned beans worth the higher sodium content (could that lead to excess bloating?) or should I just suck it up and try soaking/boiling beans?[/quote]

[quote]singram wrote:
I think even Berardi classifies them as “anytime” foods.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t. Anytime meal = less than 25% of calories from carbs.

Tribunaldude-I loves me some lentils. I think I’ll have to work those into my rotation so I don’t get bored of black beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans.

More recipes to cook with for lentils as well.

Thanks!

I make a lentil soup that’s easy and good.

Lentils
White fish (or ham or bacon, or a combo)
Spinach
Onion
Fine chopped celery (including leaves)
EVOO or butter (optional)
A splash of white wine, sherry, or dark beer (I put something of the sort in most everything, also optional)
Salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, whatever herbs/spices suit your fancy.

I’m sure you can add more to this, but it’s fine on its own. Lentils plus meat plus a little flavor from veggies/herbs=yummy. Some sort of dairy such as grated parm or sour cream is a good topping if you wish.