T Nation

Beans, Are They Really Wonderful?

I notice that beans don’t get much attention on T-Nation or on this forum at all. In all seriousness, what are peoples thoughts on them? I know Jonny Bowden has them listed as one of the best foods in his 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth. I think they’re a great source of fiber, protein, and tons of other nutrients. Plus, on the glycemic load scale, they score pretty low. I’m just surprised that a lot of T-Men don’t incorporate them into their diets, low carb or for a clean bulk. any thoughts?

I love em, especially the cropdusting that takes place about 2 hours after consumption.

Everyday I train I get a chipotle burrito bowl, no rice, 2 scoops of black beans, 1 of pinto.

I love beans.

Some days I will eat the chipotle, and then eat steak with a can of beans for dinner too.
Canned beans are probably not as optimal in terms of nutrients, there is a hell of a lot of sodium, but they are slow digesting, good tasting, and full of fiber

Check this out from Bowden’s book…“Beans are the ultimate low glycemic food. Their high fiber content means they raise blood sugar very, very slowly, and eating high fiber foods like beans has been shown in a number of studies to improve what’s called “glycemic control”- the regulation of blood sugar.”…
BEANS, THE NEXT Flameout

The Eden Organic beans are pretty low in sodium, free of additives and can be eaten straight from the can. Taste pretty good too: http://www.edenfoods.com/store/index.php?cPath=31_66

I’ve found them in my generic supermarket and most health food stores (pretty easy to find.)

I was planning on getting some serious beans in the next few days. So with this in mind-which beans to get?
I have no problem buying dried ones, but I’m trying to see if canned ones would be ok?

canned ones are fine. a good brand that’s cheap and extremely nutritious is Goya. Yes, they have sodium in them, but anybody who trains hard needs sodium in their diet. And you’re advised to get it from natural foods, as opposed to chips, etc. so I would recommend Goya.

I buy dried Goya black beans (freijoles negros) and red kidney beans (i have no clue what these are in spanish). These seem to be some of the best ive seen nutrient-wise, keeping all their fiber, protein, and low carbs for the price. Seriously, they are like 80 cents for a bag. Only problem is you need to soak them overnight and cook them the next day :frowning: If this is cool with you then dig in!

[quote]bdadam01 wrote:
I buy dried Goya black beans (freijoles negros) and red kidney beans (i have no clue what these are in spanish). These seem to be some of the best ive seen nutrient-wise, keeping all their fiber, protein, and low carbs for the price. Seriously, they are like 80 cents for a bag. Only problem is you need to soak them overnight and cook them the next day :frowning: If this is cool with you then dig in![/quote]

or you can get a “olla pitadora” which is a Colombian type of stew pan but it works with pressure. I’m sure you can get one at any Spanish market(we have one at home because I am Colombian).

Put the beans in there for an hour or so and they’re good to eat.

[quote]tengen10 wrote:
Everyday I train I get a chipotle burrito bowl, no rice, 2 scoops of black beans, 1 of pinto.
[/quote]

Why not just get a burrito like a normal person and eat it as your PWO meal?

well…because most burritos aren’t ideal for PWO nutrition because they tend to be loaded with fat from sour cream and cheese. And fat is one nutrient you should avoid post workout because it will slow down your digestion, and that’s the last thing you want to happen after a workout.

[quote]dratner wrote:
well…because most burritos aren’t ideal for PWO nutrition because they tend to be loaded with fat from sour cream and cheese. And fat is one nutrient you should avoid post workout because it will slow down your digestion, and that’s the last thing you want to happen after a workout. [/quote]

Fiber slows digestion too, which your three scoops of beans contains quite a bit of.

White rice and a flour tortilla are fast digesting carbs, which is what you want PWO, as you said.

Just because burrito’s “tend” to be high in fat doesn’t mean you can’t ask for no sour cream/cheese on yours.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
dratner wrote:
well…because most burritos aren’t ideal for PWO nutrition because they tend to be loaded with fat from sour cream and cheese. And fat is one nutrient you should avoid post workout because it will slow down your digestion, and that’s the last thing you want to happen after a workout.

Fiber slows digestion too, which your three scoops of beans contains quite a bit of.

White rice and a flour tortilla are fast digesting carbs, which is what you want PWO, as you said.

Just because burrito’s “tend” to be high in fat doesn’t mean you can’t ask for no sour cream/cheese on yours.[/quote]

x2

Beans + Rice + Chicken = tasty-ass meal.