Beach Body Routine

Hey I was wondering if anyone has seen this from Mens Fitness or could take a glance at it. I have always done more traditional lifting routines but I am aiming to get a beach body more than build a lot of strength so this intrigued me.

www.mensfitness.com/fitness/workout_routines/231

Does this seem like it would be effective?

Thanks…

Oh to add to it I was thinking of trying this out and doing interval cardio after the workouts.

Not even going to look at it. Most programs from there are designed to keep you at 175lbs and get hawt abz.

Go to the diet/mass program link at the homepage. Beginners section is to the right. Don’t be too egotistical to use it.

Intervals are good. Probably not after lifting though (unless it’s something like shoulder and/or arm day)

Wait… you’ve been around here since 2006?

And you’re posting that on a BODYBUILDING forum?

Gotcha.

"Most people think being “fit” is a function of how much muscle mass and how little body fat they have. What they often don’t realize is that some of the best athletes and bodybuilders in the world-guys with great-looking physiques-are walking time bombs.

Their training has either neglected certain muscle groups, or it’s been focused on aesthetics for so long, that they’re at risk for serious injury. The resulting damage could be so severe it may threaten their ability to stay in shape over the long haul.

To keep that from happening, we’ve designed a program that will not only help you to build the chest, arms, and abs you want for this summer, but also keep them. For as long as you keep training. We’ve divided your workouts up into three, four-week phases."

Completely typical MF BS.

It’s so terrible I don’t even have words for it. The first workout doesn’t even have any compound movements in it at all. Its ALL prehab movements. Fuck that. You have to wait until Week 5 to even start any movements that would have a prayer at building muscle, and then they’re all isolation cable movements. Shit-tastic.

This was my impression on it but I wanted some assurance… thanks

Wow. Just wow. That program is… well, it includes wonderful mass builders like the “bent knee static bridge” and bench dips with your feet on the ground. Let’s not forget the two whole sets of 10 split squats each week to hammer those legs.

While I’m sure there are worse programs out there (somewhere), why use this one when there are countless better ones from which to choose?

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
Not even going to look at it. Most programs from there are designed to keep you at 175lbs and get hawt abz.

Go to the diet/mass program link at the homepage. Beginners section is to the right. Don’t be too egotistical to use it.

Intervals are good. Probably not after lifting though (unless it’s something like shoulder and/or arm day)[/quote]

Yep you called it without looking. Good job! I got my best results when I threw away my MF collection.

Am i looking at the same link you guys are ?

Its a usual Staley style EDT workout, not a bad program at all.

I see Squats, Lunges,presses, rows, curls, whats so damn awful about it ?

Its so “cool” to hate on Mens Fitness buts it a way that many of us find out way here, I know it was for me. They regularly put articles out by Stales,Tate,Wendler,Marion,Even-Esh,Ferrugia,Waterbury and Nate Green.

As far as magazines still in print, you’ll find more T-Nation authors in it then any other on the news stand.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

Its so “cool” to hate on Mens Fitness buts it a way that many of us find out way here, I know it was for me. They regularly put articles out by Stales,Tate,Wendler,Marion,Even-Esh,Ferrugia,Waterbury and Nate Green.

As far as magazines still in print, you’ll find more T-Nation authors in it then any other on the news stand.[/quote]

I think you might be looking at something different, all I see is pre-hab and cable isolation exercises.

I didn’t look at the workouts past the 2nd link. The first workout routine BLOW HUGE BALLS.

The second actually looked better, had SLDL, pulldowns, some weird ass row variations etc.

I think the program is just ok…but what everyone needs to stop doing is looking at these retarded cookie cutter programs. You should know your body well enough to know what it responds too. A great way of stagnating for months or even years on end is dropping what you are doing and using one of these “magic routines”.

I can assure you the model they used to advertise that program achieved his physique by using a routine nothing like that.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

As far as magazines still in print, you’ll find more T-Nation authors in it then any other on the news stand.[/quote]

I don’t think we’re looking at the same program. I’m seeing bent knee static bridges percribed and then it expects the user to know how to do a proper power clean and then strange lift selection.

You, however, are correct. I should have looked before judging. They do have some of our authors over there but I’m hesitant to trust them at times. I remember for one article, Berardi mentioned he had written that the lifter use Surge and then the editors replaced it with chocolate milk without telling him.

Also, our guys are writing for the magazine, but they’re writing for a different audience. I just can’t see Tate giving out programs that have JM presses, reverse band deads, and box squats to MH. So while they may be writing the article, they aren’t doing it in our interest.

ok, yeah, for some reason when i copied the link the first time i was a completely different routine.

I stand by my little mens fitness rant up there though.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
WS4JB wrote:

As far as magazines still in print, you’ll find more T-Nation authors in it then any other on the news stand.

I don’t think we’re looking at the same program. I’m seeing bent knee static bridges percribed and then it expects the user to know how to do a proper power clean and then strange lift selection.

You, however, are correct. I should have looked before judging. They do have some of our authors over there but I’m hesitant to trust them at times. I remember for one article, Berardi mentioned he had written that the lifter use Surge and then the editors replaced it with chocolate milk without telling him.

Also, our guys are writing for the magazine, but they’re writing for a different audience. I just can’t see Tate giving out programs that have JM presses, reverse band deads, and box squats to MH. So while they may be writing the article, they aren’t doing it in our interest.[/quote]

Actually Tate has talked about box squats, good mornings, and ways to increase your bench through using power lifting style exercises for your triceps.

I had a subscription to it for a while, I really do suggest reading it, usually my best option while waiting to see the doc,dentist etc.

Good interviews in it as well.

I’ve actually got a copy from a few years ago that mentions DC training, and talking about the advantages of single set training, going beyond failure, and weighted stretching.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
I’ve actually got a copy from a few years ago that mentions DC training, and talking about the advantages of single set training, going beyond failure, and weighted stretching.[/quote]

Oh come on now WS4JB, please stop tempting me to subscribe to MH =)

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

I stand by my little mens fitness rant up there though.[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong I read it for years. It kept me thinking about my abbs and confused the hell outa me with the never ending circuit routines. I just finally realised my goals were not inline with the magazine. I wanted bodybuilding results and it is NOT a bodybuilding mag. This is a bodybuilding forum. That is why I feel like it is a fair rip on the mag.

[quote]Taufiq wrote:
WS4JB wrote:
I’ve actually got a copy from a few years ago that mentions DC training, and talking about the advantages of single set training, going beyond failure, and weighted stretching.

Oh come on now WS4JB, please stop tempting me to subscribe to MH =)[/quote]

WHOA WHOA WHOA, dont do anything crazy man, we’re talking about mens fitness, not mens health.

And even then, the occasional buying of one at bus terminal or airport is prob enough.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:

Berardi mentioned he had written that the lifter use Surge and then the editors replaced it with chocolate milk without telling him. [/quote]

There’s a bit of a conflict from some respected trainers out there that Surge is no better or worse than chocolate milk for PWO drink. The problem is in finding a true unbiased test that isn’t out to slam Surge, or promote it.