Be Honest....Off Weeks

Nope no off weeks, usually a forced unload when travel comes etc but still hit the gym once or twice in a week at least.

Other than that I play it by feel. If Im beat up from heavy 1-3 rep work ill do some higher rep stuff etc.

I agree the over training thing is now becoming the dogma that was hitting the gym twice a day 6-7 times a week. people are using it to avoid or be scared iof hard damn work.

Im sure they have there merit BUT hall I tried it and one to two days off IMO if eating and resting right as well as training SMART and listening to your body its not needed.

Thats my take anyhow.

I unload almost every fourth week; fifth week once in a while. It is the key to delivering your best performances when it counts. If you have a job, a family, stress, and are not on the sauce, you are kidding yourself if you think you can not vary your load and volume, with one week every four-five weeks an unloading week.

Pro-bodybuilders sleep 10-12 hours a day, eat constantly, and have little job/family related stress unless they kill somebody and have to go on the lam without their wife making her nail appointment.

Rarely do I take a week off completely. I always can find something to do when i take time off.

I tend not to stop exercising. Either less intense lifting, more running, or sports with friends. I only stop exercising completely on ‘off’ weeks when I am so stressed that I just don’t have time for anything else.

I had quite a bit of experience with chronic overtraining in my younger days when I was a bike racer. I think I have a good feel for the whole spectrum between tired, over-extended, and full on overtrained. That said, I agree with the sentiment that the term “overtrained” is thrown around way too much. People mistake overextension with overtraining despite the fact that you have to train hard through the malaise and misery of overextension for a good while before hitting that overtrained state.

As for the question, taking whole weeks off for recovery is a fairly recent discovery for me. A little while ago I went on vacation for a couple weeks and only was able to get marginal workouts on the first and last days there. I expected to get back and feel like shit for the next several weeks, but low and behold I hit PRs in most of my lifts withini a few weeks. Since then I’ve been experimenting quite a bit with different lengths and timings. My best guess now is to take a week to a week and a half every three months or so with a solid backoff week every 3rd or 4th. I used to cheat quite a bit during my recovery weeks and do almost as much as I did otherwise, but I’ve noticed that I really do respond well to rest.

Because of my schedule, i usually have to move every 4 months. This is a real pain when i comes to keeping a regular work out plan, because unexpected expenses and no access to gyms at some point. During these times i usually have a week, or even two to take off. I try to keep it to one week at most. Also, during hectic exam weeks i tend to just stop going to the gym to study, usually about a week. I find the week or several weeks off during these times to be really beneficial to my body. Sure, i lose some strength, but it comes back almost after a couple workouts. I find this helps me stay away from injuries, as i train heavy all the time when i’m in the gym.

This may not be the best for everyone, but my roomates, who hardly ever miss a workout, have multiple injuries and can’t even do certain exercises. I use to tell them to take some time off, but they didn’t and now they are paying for it. IMO i dont see the point of killing yourself in the gym if your not competing. I mean, a week off every once in a while isn’t going to take away all the hard work and advances you have made.

I dont take a week OFF i deload

or do something to not get bored

do more sled dragging or run more sprints rather than just squatting or pulling heavy

Oh yeah…and anyone who trains seriously knows that injuries tend to mount over the course of a few months. Small knicks and dings become worse, and injuries start poppin up out of nowhere. Ain’t nothin like a week off…

“Wow…so this is what 100% feels like”

I use WSSB programme, training in a 3wks full-on, 1wk back-off cycle. On my back-off week I would only do warm-up sets on the max lift and only do 2 sets on supp lift exercises that I normally do 3-4 sets.

When start a new cycle, I always change the max lift exercises and sometimes the supp lifts, depending on progress, effectiveness of exercise (observed from previous cycles) and injuries from MA training.

Geek boy

I just took a week off, today was my day back. I feel stronger and more engergized. I had probably been lifting for 8-9 months straight though with possible 4-5 days off from sickness (which I don’t count as a week off).

In my case it benefited me. I did 8 sets of 3 reps of 205 on bench which was pretty damn good for me. Listen to your body, it will tell you.

[quote]jimmybango wrote:
Oh yeah…and anyone who trains seriously knows that injuries tend to mount over the course of a few months. Small knicks and dings become worse, and injuries start poppin up out of nowhere. Ain’t nothin like a week off…

“Wow…so this is what 100% feels like”[/quote]

Dude, if injuries are mounting up for you over a few months, you are training wrong. Anyone who has trained for years gets a pull or a strain, but regular injuries that need a regular week off mean you need help in your technique.

the only reason i take an off week is if my doc tells me i cant go anywhere.After i complete a certain program i just do cardio for a week with push/pull ups and then i start a new one

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jimmybango wrote:

Dude, if injuries are mounting up for you over a few months, you are training wrong. Anyone who has trained for years gets a pull or a strain, but regular injuries that need a regular week off mean you need help in your technique.[/quote]

Injuries do tend to mount up for me over the course of several months. At the same time, in no way do I feel that I am “training wrong”. Included in what I deem a small injury are pulls and strains. On top of that are things that are unique to my training cycles.

For example, when I include weighted dips in my chest routine my shoulders take a pounding after awhile. Same goes for BB bench. Furthermore, standing calf raises tend to aggrevate the arch in my left foot (a favorite of mine that just recently began popping up a couple years ago). HIIT cardio takes a toll on my knees at times…

I’ve been fortunate to go months w/o experiencing any minor injuries, and I’ve been very lucky to have never had a serious injury that completely derailed everything.

At the same time, when the small injuries do start to pop up, I train around them for as long as I want, or need depending on the season. Then after while, I take time off (never been more than a little over a week) and let them heal naturally, give my mind and spirit a rest, and then start the glorious cycle all over again.

To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with my technique in regards to my training. Roughly 6 years and no major injuries is one solid piece of evidence. Small injuries are a fact of the game if you train with high levels of intensity. I’ve made significant progress following this philosophy. Besides, that week off helps on many other levels than just purely physical recovery…

Bango

[quote]jimmybango wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jimmybango wrote:

Dude, if injuries are mounting up for you over a few months, you are training wrong. Anyone who has trained for years gets a pull or a strain, but regular injuries that need a regular week off mean you need help in your technique.

Injuries do tend to mount up for me over the course of several months. At the same time, in no way do I feel that I am “training wrong”. Included in what I deem a small injury are pulls and strains. On top of that are things that are unique to my training cycles.

For example, when I include weighted dips in my chest routine my shoulders take a pounding after awhile. Same goes for BB bench. Furthermore, standing calf raises tend to aggrevate the arch in my left foot (a favorite of mine that just recently began popping up a couple years ago). HIIT cardio takes a toll on my knees at times…

I’ve been fortunate to go months w/o experiencing any minor injuries, and I’ve been very lucky to have never had a serious injury that completely derailed everything.

At the same time, when the small injuries do start to pop up, I train around them for as long as I want, or need depending on the season. Then after while, I take time off (never been more than a little over a week) and let them heal naturally, give my mind and spirit a rest, and then start the glorious cycle all over again.

To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with my technique in regards to my training. Roughly 6 years and no major injuries is one solid piece of evidence. Small injuries are a fact of the game if you train with high levels of intensity. I’ve made significant progress following this philosophy. Besides, that week off helps on many other levels than just purely physical recovery…

Bango

[/quote]

Let’s say this one more time, IF YOU ARE GETTING INJURED THAT REGULARLY, YOU ARE TRAINING W R O N G. Getting injured is not a normal part of exercise. Understand this and learn what you are doing wrong. I can count two training related injuries I have had in all of the years I have been training and both were on the same arm and both were because I was showing off how much weight I could curl in dumbbells.

jimmybango wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jimmybango wrote:

Bango

Let’s say this one more time, IF YOU ARE GETTING INJURED THAT REGULARLY, YOU ARE TRAINING W R O N G. Getting injured is not a normal part of exercise. Understand this and learn what you are doing wrong. I can count two training related injuries I have had in all of the years I have been training and both were on the same arm and both were because I was showing off how much weight I could curl in dumbbells.[/quote]

If you go heavy, you’re going to get banged up. And you have to take care of yourself.

I deload every fourth week, and eliminate ME work.

I disagree…I feel minor injuries (or knicks and dings as I put it earlier) are a part of training with intensity. We may have different interpretations of what constitutes an injury. In my book, any repeated feelings of pain that is not “good pain” is classified as an injury. In my experience, pushing your personal limits and discovering new thresholds leads to small injuries. It’s inevitable…

The fact that you’ve only had two training related injuries over your training career is remarkable…but again I think we could have different meanings behind what defines an injury.

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
If you go heavy, you’re going to get banged up. And you have to take care of yourself.

I deload every fourth week, and eliminate ME work. [/quote]

I do go heavy. I also know enough about my body to know when I am going too far in a workout. On top of that, I understand how my muscles work. Because of all of that, I have not been “banged up”. Everyone experiences a minor injury every once in a while. If that is happening so regularly that you need every 4th or 5th week off, you are training wrong.

[quote]jimmybango wrote:

The fact that you’ve only had two training related injuries over your training career is remarkable…but again I think we could have different meanings behind what defines an injury. [/quote]

We may have two different definitions. However, even minor aches and pains have never been so severe that they can’t be trained around and need weeks off. If you begin to feel a twinge in your pectorals, you back off on the weight used. Why would a “twinge” need a week off unless you were making it worse?

If the minor aches and pains begin to mount, I’ll train through/around them as needed. However, through the years I’ve learned that taking a week off every 3-4 months not only heals these minor injuries, but makes me remember how much I love to train. When I return I feel refreshed and amped up with renewed intensity to continue reaching my goals…

Mr. Bear wrote:

I deload every fourth week, and eliminate ME work.

I do go heavy. I also know enough about my body to know when I am going too far in a workout. On top of that, I understand how my muscles work. Because of all of that, I have not been “banged up”. Everyone experiences a minor injury every once in a while. If that is happening so regularly that you need every 4th or 5th week off, you are training wrong. [/quote]

Most people don’t take weeks completely off. I’ll still be in the gym at least three days a week on my deload.

And it’s usually not that you “have” to take the week off, it’s that you should in order for supercompensation to take place. It is not often because of injury for most.

Bear

Okay, so what does everyone do during their unloading weeks?

Would you share some ideas?