T Nation

Be Careful With Guar Gum.

Haha, so i was not sure how powerful of a thickening agent this thing is. My prebed shake consists of the following:

1/2 cup of salt-free cottage cheese
1 scoop low-carb Metabolic Drive
2 tbsp milled flax seeds

all mixed in water.

anyway i decided i wanted my shakes a little thicker, especially since i heard the new Metabolic Drive is slightly thinner. So i threw in some guar gum. I measured out 1tbsp and thought, man theres no way it’s going to even be noticable. So i dropped in 2tbsp.

Well, the thing turned into damn GLUE, the blender started smoking, i filled the thing with as much water as i could. Then i chugged the frothy pudding that tasted like nothing.

now i’m bloated just waiting for the fiber to hit my intestines which will probably give me a case of turbo chocolate frozen yogurt machine syndrome.

a learning experience.

I love stories like that. Thanks for sharing.

I love that you still ate it!

[quote]consumer wrote:

2 tbsp milled flax seeds

all mixed in water.
[/quote]

Here’s my question: Why cottage cheese? Why not use plain yogurt? Cottage cheese is a bit salty and chunky, while yougurt is smooth and creamy, and a bit sweet. It mixes so much better that cottage cheese and it TASTES better in a shake. God, how in hell do you manage to choke that shit down? I like cottage cheese, just by itself or with a few crackers.

Try mixing cottage cheese with peanut butter.
YUMMY!!!

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
consumer wrote:

2 tbsp milled flax seeds

all mixed in water.

Here’s my question: Why cottage cheese? Why not use plain yogurt? Cottage cheese is a bit salty and chunky, while yougurt is smooth and creamy, and a bit sweet. It mixes so much better that cottage cheese and it TASTES better in a shake. God, how in hell do you manage to choke that shit down? I like cottage cheese, just by itself or with a few crackers.[/quote]

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
YUMMY!!!
[/quote]

That has to taste like shit. I eat a lot of things, but I’ve read the strangest combos on this site for sure.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
YUMMY!!!
BIGRAGOO wrote:
consumer wrote:

2 tbsp milled flax seeds

all mixed in water.

Here’s my question: Why cottage cheese? Why not use plain yogurt? Cottage cheese is a bit salty and chunky, while yougurt is smooth and creamy, and a bit sweet. It mixes so much better that cottage cheese and it TASTES better in a shake. God, how in hell do you manage to choke that shit down? I like cottage cheese, just by itself or with a few crackers.
[/quote]

Your not serious with that Cottage Cheese and Peanut Butter combo, right?

[quote]Serious Guy wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
YUMMY!!!
BIGRAGOO wrote:
consumer wrote:

2 tbsp milled flax seeds

all mixed in water.

Your not serious with that Cottage Cheese and Peanut Butter combo, right?[/quote]

Can’t be. No way.

Cottage cheese and peanut butter with some chocolate protein is amazing.

[quote]SGDerek wrote:
Cottage cheese and peanut butter with some chocolate protein is amazing.[/quote]

I tried mixing cottage cheese and chocolate protein powder together after reading that so many people here do it. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. I nearly spewed 4 times while eating it.

[quote]SGDerek wrote:
Cottage cheese and peanut butter with some chocolate protein is amazing.[/quote]

Hahahaha, no, leave the cottage cheese out, and that’s amazing.

[quote]helga wrote:
SGDerek wrote:

I tried mixing cottage cheese and chocolate protein powder together after reading that so many people here do it. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. I nearly spewed 4 times while eating it.[/quote]

That’s because those people were just trying to sound cool, like they really eat like that.

Hmm… I used to always put cottage cheese in my shakes when I blended them. It made them creamy and didn’t really add much else of a tase. I loved it. To each his own I guess. Mmmm, I want one now.

For my pre-bed snack I’ll mix together:

1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 Tbsp peanut butter
2 packets splenda
1 scoop protein powder
2 Tbsp flax meal

It’s not bad at all, although the texture is… odd. All in all not bad though, try adding in some flavored extracts like almond, cherry, lemon, or orange for a different flavor.

When you mix it all in a blender, it’s not bad since all the curds get chopped up. Yum!

~V

[quote]v10hanz wrote:
For my pre-bed snack I’ll mix together:

1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 Tbsp peanut butter
2 packets splenda
1 scoop protein powder
2 Tbsp flax meal

It’s not bad at all, although the texture is… odd. All in all not bad though, try adding in some flavored extracts like almond, cherry, lemon, or orange for a different flavor.

When you mix it all in a blender, it’s not bad since all the curds get chopped up. Yum!

~V[/quote]

Hahaha, no offense, but it sounds like a recipe for puke.

No offense taken, it’s good, honest!

Try it at least once. Like I said though, the texture might not be the “best” but the flavor isn’t bad at all.

~V

cottage cheese + fruit = good

cottage cheese + peanut butter = hurl

I honestly can not fathom trying to choke down a combination like that, it’d be to thick!!

cottage cheese + protein powder= maybe

Not the first time I’ve heard that combo, somethin to think about since I am always eating cottage cheese and fruit, maybe throw in some vanilla whey powder (so the taste doesnt go crazy!!) Yo GOO, you up for trying this mixture next time we meet up!? I’ll bring the cottage cheese!!

lol dudes you guys have to try going vegan for a while(seriously, don’t though). it’s totally KILLED my sense of taste. I mean absolutely anything tastes amazing to me, i’ve tried the wierdest combos to try to gross myself out to no avail. It’s been so long since i returned to being a man, but i dont have trouble eating what you guys consider nasty.

In fact, i LOVE cottage cheese mixed with pb and flax meal. I used to look forward to my prebed meal. i still love my prebed shake. Salt-free cottage cheese really doesn’t add much flavor, but i still love it even with salty cottage cheese.

i don’t want to say i’m “weird” or that i’m any different from 'yall, but I certainly can’t think of a food i consider disgusting really, let alone a combination of them.

raises hand I eat Cottage Cheese + peanut butter. Although I prefer cottage cheese + cashew butter. The butter has more oil than PB so it mixes better. The trick is not to use so much nut butter that the mixture becomes gummy. I normally use about 1 cup of CC to 2 tbsp cashew butter. Occasionally I’ll toss in some flax meal.

looks around Umm…why are there men in white coats here? Let me out of this rubber room!

Seriously, it is bearable.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
SGDerek wrote:

Hahahaha, no, leave the cottage cheese out, and that’s amazing. [/quote]

Actually cottage cheese is so good due to the high casien amounts and LOW carb think Curds and whey the cottage cheese is the curds. Good stuff. Great with fruit.

i tried cottage cheese and pb awhile ago and lets just say that i didn’t touch the pb for a good two weeks after that