Mattjp's Training Log

Thursday, 1 March

Not sure about weight, keep forgetting to check in.

Back felt really weird last night and this morning, which is always a good sign for deadlift day. Fortunately it’s 5s week.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
50 pullaparts
25 dislocations
KB swings/SLDL superset

Power Clean
5x40kg
5x45kg
5x50kg

Deadlift
5x105kg
5x112.5kg
5x120kg
Used straps for the first time today. Had to rethink my setup since I now have to spend a few seconds sorting my hands out, but felt good once I did. Were this a regular week I feel like I could have gone 10+ reps here without my grip going.

Assistance
50 Arnold presses @ 12.5kg (5x10)
50 hypers w/15kg plate (5x10)
50 curls @ 20kg (20/20/10)

Diet

Preworkout
Cereal and milk

Postworkout
Shake

Lunch
Cod and salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
It’s meant to be pork chops with rice and veg but as I write this I’m pretty sure we forgot to take the pork chops out of the freezer, so that could be a problem.

Evening
1 scoop Gold Standard

2 Likes

Friday, 2 March

It’s brutally cold and windy here. Mostly the wind is terrible.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five

Conditioning
EMOM burpees into pullup triples for too few minutes

Diet

Preworkout
Cereal and milk

Postworkout
Shake

AM snack
Grenade bar

Lunch
Going out for lunch with work to a place that doesn’t have a huge deal of meat options. Think an omelette is on the cards.

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Steak and veg

1 Like

Saturday, 3 March

Got to sleep for more than 7-8 hours last night which was fun.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
Pullaparts/dislocates
Squat/swing KB supersets

Front squat
5x50kg
5x55kg
5x60kg

Press
5x37.5kg
5x40kg
5x42.5kg

Assistance
50 DB rows @ 35kg (5x10)
50 DB bench @ 20kg (5x10)
50 situps @ BW (5x10)

Diet

Schedule is a bit turned around today because of the weekend.

Had the usual bowl of cereal before waking up, then consumed a monstrous cooked breakfast after the gym. Fairly certain it was in excess of 1,000 calories. The cut is going well…

That said I’m not eating again until tonight which is just going to meat and veggies. Having a couple of drinks as well but nothing ridiculous.

2 Likes

Monday, March 5

Was at 221.4 this morning, some of which is weekend bloat. This week The Great Unfattening begins in earnest.

I’m looking to eat around 2,300 to 2,500kcal a day with 180g+ protein and I’ll be tracking my weight on a weekly average basis to adjust from there. I should have a decent idea of a true TDEE after a few weeks (and hopefully be a few lbs lighter as well) and will continually adjust down as necessary.

Looking to lose 1-2lbs a week between now and the T-ransformation deadline, which may involve shaving calories.

Basically I need to decrease food and increase cardio/conditioning which is essentially the antithesis of how I want to live my life.

Workout-wise, it was a mixed bag today.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
100 pullaparts
50 dislocates
KB swing/squat superset

Squat
5x92.5kg
3x100kg
7x105kg
This was good - after rep #6 I hit that “ah shit better stop now” wall and powered through for another; especially good as 6 would have been a PR anyway. Next step is to power through that spot for two more reps!

Bench
5x60kg
3x65kg
2x70kg
I was a bit off with my setup here and it threw things. Super irritating, as the first two sets absolutely flew up.
3x70kg
I was so annoyed I decided to go again. Think I would have been good for a grindy 5x70 on the first set if I’d not fucked it up.
1x77.5kg
Just because I wanted to get some kind of bench PR today. Think I’ll probably keep the same TM for next cycle as bench hasn’t been strong this time around.

Assistance
50 chinups (12x4, 1x2)
50 incline DB bench @ 15kg (17/17/16)
Subbed out the dips. They aggravate my shoulder and the assisted machine isn’t built for anyone over 5’9" it seems. Happy to bro it the fuck up and bench more.
50 situps (5x10)

Diet

Total is about 2,550kcal today.
Pre-workout
Cereal w/milk

Post-workout
Monkey shake

Lunch
Chicken or fish w/salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Some sausage & bean stew thing with mash

Evening
Grenade bar (out of whey until tomorrow)

1 Like

Tuesday, 6 March

Down to 219.8 this morning, which was a pleasant surprise. Girlfriend made dinner last night and served me an unholy amount. It was just beans, meat and potatoes so it’s not exactly unhealthy but it definitely took me above 2,500kcal for the day!

I ran through a quick 10m stretching routine last night before bed (turns out that after a few months of running through Flexible Five 3-4 times a week I can touch my toes now, just) because I’ve been getting tight hips and a sore back of a morning.

This morning I had a really sore back and hip. Not fair!

Annoyingly I think that it might be squats causing it. After this cycle of Young Wendler I was thinking about switching to 2x2x2 to put more focus on conditioning and flexibility/mobility, so that might also be a time to dial in squat technique ahead of increasing kilos on the bar - though there is the problem of reducing frequency to hone technique which obviously makes little sense. That’s Future Me’s problem, anyway…

Workout

Warmup
50 pullaparts
25 dislocates
Flexible Five

Conditioning
Treadmill: 5m warm up, 30s sprint/60-90s easy pace intervals, 5m cooldown [20m total]

Diet

Pre-workout
Cereal and milk

Post-workout
3 boiled eggs w/hot sauce

AM snack
Grenade bar

Lunch
Chicken salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Chicken cashew curry and naan bread

Wednesday, 7 March

Down to 218.6 this morning, which is probably pretty close to my “actual” weight at the moment. I’d like to be <210 by my friend’s wedding at the start of April, and around 200 by the end of T-ransformation.

Back (what I assume was my SI joint) was a lot better this morning which always bodes well for deadlift day.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
100 pullaparts
50 dislocations
KB swing/SLDL superset

Power Clean
5x40kg
5x45kg
5x50kg
I’ll probably keep these the same for the next cycle because I’m not massively comfortable with the movement yet.

Deadlift
5x120kg
3x125kg
6x132.5kg
With straps, this marks the first time my grip hasn’t limited my deadlift reps which gave me the chance to find my weak point. Today my quads got fatigued first, which is a new one! Good thing I’m doing front squats in this template.

Assistance
48 Arnold presses @ 12.5kg (1x14, 3x12 - I thought that added up to 50 in my post-deadlift haze)
50 hyperextensions @ 10kg (5x10 - held the weight above my head instead of at chest)
50 curls (10x30kg, 15/13/12/10 @ 25kg)

Diet

Pre-workout
Cereal and milk

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Cod fillet & salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Hong Shou Rou w/rice & veg

Evening
2 scoops Gold Standard

1 Like

Thursday, 8 March

Up to 220.2 today. Aren’t fluctuations fun?

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
50 pullaparts
25 dislocates

Conditioning
10km on elliptical

Diet

Pre-workout
Cereal and milk

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Fishcake and salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Chicken, rice and beans

1 Like

Friday, 9 March

Back down to 219.3 today. Yesterday was pretty good, as days go. At my job we have annual bonuses and because I started less than six months ago I’m not entitled to one this year; kind of annoying to miss out because of a four-day gap but I’m over it. However, my line manager told me yesterday that they’re giving me a small discretionary performance bonus so that’s nice. I have a trip to Vegas in the summer that can now be paid for without hedging savings.

Workout

Warm-up
Flexible Five
100 pullaparts
50 dislocates
KB swing/squat superset

Front squat
5x60kg
5x65kg
5x70kg

Press
Once again, infuriatingly inconsistent. Lowering TM for next three weeks.
5x42.5kg
3x45kg
3x47.5kg

Assistance
50 DB rows @ 32.5kg (14/14/12/10)
50 DB bench (10/8/8/8/6 @ 22.5kg, 10 @ 20kg)
50 situps (5x10)

Diet

Pre-workout
Cereal and milk

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Quarter-pounder and salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Pork chop and rice skillet thingy

Evening
2 scoops Gold Standard

Saturday, 10 March

Dropped to 217.4 this morning but I had two pints of Guinness last night which will dehydrate me slightly. Also just had another shake instead of the planned dinner. Probably around 2800 calories on the day.

I just did some mobility work today.

Flexible Five, 100 pullaparts, 50 dislocates, some deeper/longer stretching. Nothing too exciting. Feeling quite beaten up so happy for a low-intensity day.

1 Like

Monday, 12 March

I kicked off today by shutting my thumb in the fridge door. We have one of those fridges with a cupboard-style door, so it’s a big heavy wooden cunt and I managed to catch it in the metal hinge and scrape a bunch of skin off my thumb.

I was hoping to channel the rage and pain into some big PRs but turns out it just got in the way. Oh, also 220.0 on the nose this morning for whatever reason. Average weight last week was on a downward trend, though; so this is just a blip I think.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
100 pullaparts
50 dislocates
KB swing/squat superset

Squat
5x87.5kg
5x92.5kg
7x97.5kg
Really annoying as I wanted/needed 10. I think my conditioning needs bringing up to get the most out of the AMRAP sets now; I seem to gas out at 6-8 reps regardless of weight on squats (I hit 105x7 last week and 100x7 the cycle before) so that should help.
On the plus side, a few months ago I would have struggled to hit 97.5kg for a 1RM and now I’m disappointed to not hit it for 10 reps so I can’t complain too much about how training is going…
105x5
I get annoyed when I don’t hit rep PRs and feel I have to punish myself with higher weights.

Bench
5x52.5kg
5x57.5kg
8x62.5kg
Have hit this for 10 before, so pretty annoying. Just gassed after squats and distracted by the throbbing thumb. It was at this point I bled through the plaster and had to get another from the front desk. I’m basically like Mikhail Shivlyakov.

Assistance
50 lat pulldowns @ 70kg (5x10)
Too tough/time-consuming to hit 50 chins when you max out at 4-6 reps.
50 incline DB bench @ 20kg (5x10)
50 situps @ BW (13/13/12/12)

Diet

Pre-workout
Egg mayonnaise sandwich w/2 egg whites & 1 whole egg
Made Eggs Benedict yesterday so had some whites left.

Post-workout
Shake, sans banana

Lunch
Chicken breast and salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Spaghetti and meatballs

Total
Approx. 2360kcal
Approx. 190g protein
Might as well start logging the estimated numbers as well. A good 75% of online fitness is obsessing over figures and minutiae.

Tuesday, 13 March

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I’m 217.2 this morning.

The bad news is located in my left knee.

This is the last thing I knee-d!

TL;DR: bum say ‘no’, knee go ow

Brief background: at the end of 2016 after a year or so of half-arsed training on a half-arsed program I squatted 95x2 and 90x3 as a high-bar max. Later that day I ran across the road to catch a bus, and as I climbed the stairs in the bus my left knee locked up and it caused me a lot of pain to straighten it.

After about 30-45 mins on the bus and hobbling off I was able to walk on it and limped around. It was OK a few days later but after a couple of physio trips including one misdiagnosis I was given a patellar tendinitis verdict, with an inactive/weak left glute as the cause.

This had me not really squatting or deadlifting for most of that year. Light squats were OK but as soon as I approached anything remotely challenging, my knee would be flaring up again the next day.

When I started this log I’d just begun again, having made the switch to low-bar which was much better on my knees.

However, today my left knee feels basically the same as it did this time last year - low-level, sharp pain under weighted extension e.g. squats, climbing stairs, etc. A low and manageable pain (maybe like 3/10 tops), but still concerning.

Don’t think it’s a coincidence that I’ve added front squats recently, which are much more knee-focused. I won’t blame them entirely, though; I’ve not really done anything to address my glute imbalance except to squat and deadlift more.

I had my girlfriend test my glute strength today, by my lying down and abducting my legs out against her resisting. She’s no physio but she reported that my left leg was significantly weaker.

So, pending consultation with an actual professional if I can find one here, I presume that my left glute isn’t firing properly in squats/front squats which is forcing my knee to do more work than it should and placing undue stress on it.

Moving forward

Last time my knee played up I basically gave up on lifting and just coasted for a while. This time, if for some reason I do have to make major programming adjustments, I’m not going to let it affect my upper body/conditioning work.

As I say, I will be looking to talk to a physio but until then this is the immediate plan for the rest of this Young Wendler cycle (next 2.5 weeks):

1. Swap out front squats for leg extensions and single-leg glute bridges.
High-bar squats made my knee flare up so front squats are likely doing the same. I still need to bring up my quads, and obviously single-leg glute work will help me out.

2. Do glute activation drills before squats/deadlifts.
After Flexible Five and before my KB squat/swing sets, I’ll throw in some glute activation stuff and see if that can get them firing.

3. Do focused glute work each day.
I should have done this before, but I should have done a lot of things. No changing that now, so better learn from my mistakes. Clams/bridges etc. each day, using Brett Contreas’ 2:1 method of doubling the work on the weaker side to bring it up to speed. I’ll also be doing isometric wall sits as prescribed last time I had patellar tendon issues.

4. Potentially just do the prescribed sets for squats
I’ll see how my knee feels next Monday but it might be an idea to cut out AMRAP sets on squats for now with a view to really focusing on getting them balanced and solid.

Workout

Anyway, onto the actual log part.

Warmup
Flexible Five
50 pullaparts
25 dislocations

Conditioning
Layne Norton’s Best Damn Cardio on exercise bike
5m warmup, 10s max resistence fast, 20s normal fast, 90s easy
Repeat for 15m

Diet

Pre-workout
Cereal and milk

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Tuna salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Bean burgers and hash browns w/peas

Evening
1.5 scoops Gold Standard

Total
Approx 2515kcal
Approx 185g protein

3 Likes

Knee extensions are very rough on my knees. Careful with those…

Leg extensions were actually a prescribed exercise from the physio last time this happened.

1 Like

Excited to see you move foward through this dude. You’ll make it.

If you can get access to a sled/DIY one, I’d look into reverse sled drags to hammer the quads while putting minimal stress on the knee. And forward sled drags are good for getting the glutes/PC.

Thanks mate! Several hundred degrees less severe than your knee issues, and I also have much much much less strength to lose and regain. More of a psychological hurdle for me now given I’ve a history of throwing in the towel at the first sign of obstruction.

Unfortunately I train in a fairly shitty gym with no space for drags and such, nevermind equipment. However it is always empty and a 90s walk from my house so that makes it a 9/10 venue in my book.

If the past is any indication the knee itself will stop giving me much pain in the next few days, anyway. The main thing to do is to address the underlying issues that cause it so I can carry on progressing in the squat and deadlift.

1 Like

Wednesday, 14 March

At 218.4 this morning. Week-to-week average weight loss 1.5lbs so far which is a nice rate if I can keep it up.

Knee less painful this morning but still giving me a bit of gip. I did a heap of glute exercises and hip stretches last night as well.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
100 pullaparts
50 dislocates
Glute drills
KB swings/SLDL superset

Power Clean
5x40kg
5x45kg
Cut these short. Knee didn’t like them.

Deadlift
5x110kg
5x115kg
5x122.5kg
Just an easy deadlift day to give the knee some breathing room.

Assistance
50 Arnold presses @12.5kg (15/15/12/8)
50 hyperextensions @ 15kg (5x10)
50 DB curls @ 12.5kg (4x10, 7, 3)

Diet

Pre-workout
Cereal and milk

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Gammon steak, egg, mixed veg

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Chicken wings and ribs, maybe some rice
Staff poker tournament tonight, so Chinese buffet is on. Just going to stick to the meat options and a bit of egg-fried rice.

Evening
Shake again

Totals
Approx. 2367kcal
Approx. 190g protein

Future workouts

I’m thinking that once the knee stops actively hurting and all I need to do is address the glute imbalance, I can basically carry on doing 5/3/1 full body templates.

However, I don’t want to continue to squat/deadlift if I’m just ingraining bad movement patterns because whatever imbalances and postural issues I have aren’t fixed. I’m seeing a physio next week, and doing a lot more stretching and mobility work of an evening in the meantime.

I think I’ll simply sub out squats for lunges and sub out deadlifts for single-leg Romanian deadlifts and continue on until I feel I can move back to bilateral work.

Also it’s a good excuse to bench three times a week. What’s the point of having an injured leg if you can’t use it as an excuse to bro the fuck up?

Next week, if my knee is OK, I’ll hit a few triples on the back squat and record them to see if there are any obvious issues with my setup and movement that could lead to problems.

Shit man, you were getting on a good roll. Hope it clears up quickly and without too much fuss.

Cheers. Should be able to lunge/single-leg dead/yoga my way to being more balanced and hopefully not lose much off my bilateral lifts.

Thursday, 15 March

Still hovering; 218.4 this morning. Went a few hundred kcal over plan last night at the staff poker tournament with a Chinese buffet but nothing too shocking.

Knee is on the mend. Going forward I’ll continue on a 5/3/1 template with lunges instead of squats and glute bridges as assistance. Will have to crack open the old Beyond 5/3/1 and come up with something over the weekend.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
100 pullaparts
50 dislocates
Glute work

Conditioning
EMOM chinup-pressup triples for 10 mins
Pretty pathetic, but quite tough when your max chins are like 5-6 and your max pressups aren’t much higher.

Diet

Pre-workout
Cereal and milk

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Chicken salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Chicken and rice skillet thing

Totals
Approx. 2355kcal
Approx. 219g protein

2 Likes

Friday, 16 March

Exact same weight this morning.

Knee isn’t sore anymore, which is nice. I was pretty confident it wasn’t that serious this time, versus the first time which had me semi-limping around for a good couple of weeks, but it’s nice to have it confirmed.

I did the usual Young Wendler today, but experimented with lunges instead of front squats to see what I could do there. Balance was harder than the actual lifting part!

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
100 pullaparts
50 dislocates
Glute drills

Lunge
5x BW
5x 20kg (empty bar)
5x 30kg
5x 35kg
Got very shaky here, so I think I’ll start of with 3x5 at 30kg and do a GSLP style progression.

Press
5x35kg
5x37.5kg
9x40kg
Found out if I dismantle the decline bench and use that it’s much, much easier to unrack for a seated press.

Assistance
50 DB rows (2x5 @ 40kg, 16/14/10 @ 30kg)
50 DB bench @ 20kg (12/10/10/10/8)
50 situps (3x8 w/5kg behind my head, 3x12 BW)

Diet

Pre-workout
Cereal and milk

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Tuna salad

PM snack
Grenade bar

Dinner
Pork chop and rice skillet thingy

Evening
2 scoops Gold Standard

Totals
Approx. 2430kcal
Approx 200g protein

Switching templates

Next week is 3x3 week, which I’ll keep for bench and press.

I’m basically going to move back to running 5/3/1 Beginners but with lunges in place of squats and Romanian deadlifts in place of deadlifts.

I’m due a deload week a fortnight from now, which I’ll be keeping as I have a wedding to go to and it’s way easier, but I’ll maintain glute work and stretches during that time. Plus I should be able to squeeze in a couple of lunge-only workouts to keep ingraining the movement.

The template will basically be:

Day 1
Lunge (GSLP 3x5)
Bench (5/3/1 FSL)
50 DB rows
50 lat raises
50 situps

Day 2
Romanian Deadlifts (5s PRO FSL)
Press (5/3/1 FSL)
50 lat pulldowns
50 DB bench
50 hyperextensions

Day 3
Lunge (GSLP 3x5)
Bench (5/3/1 FSL)
50 DB rows
50 lat raises
50 situps

Conditioning/mobility/glute stuff every other day, warmup for lifting the usual stuff.

Actually quite excited to get good at lunges now so I can be the queen of all the girls in the gym who do them.

1 Like