T Nation

Be Bane By 30 [Getting Big]

Sunday, 8 July

Back home now after 10 days in Kilkenny then Connemara. Given the gargantuan meals the Bean an tí was dishing up mercilessly I’m a bit scared to step on the scale tomorrow.

Workout

Six more weeks of attempting to lose some flubber before the end of summer, after which I’ll be starting Brian Alsruhe’s program.

I’ll do 3/5/1/5/3/1 between now and then, just a basic four-day setup with the assistance and conditioning. I’ll be throwing in the odd movement like KB snatches and nordic curls and other exercises that will feature in Alpha’s program to get the hang of them a little.

Monday, 9 July

Back to the 6am wakeups and morning lifts. Life is terrible.

Was 213.8 this morning but I expect a ton of that to drop off as I get back to normal life. Adding some conditioning, reducing assistance/carbs over the next few weeks in a last-ditch push over the summer.

Of course a few pints will be in order on Wednesday and hopefully Sunday given that it’s coming home and everything. That means that I’ll have to do a good-sized deficit on other days this week to remain on track.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates
Glute drills

Squats
10x20kg
5x40kg
3x60kg
3x75kg
3x85kg
3x95kg
3x105kg
Was hoping to work up to 110x3 today and 75/85 absolutely flew up, bar-through-the-ceiling style. However I misgroved the second 95kg rep and tweaked my adductor a little. The 105 only felt like RPE 7-8 but I didn’t want to push things straight off.
15x60kg
Why the fuck did I do that lol

Assistance
50 DB rows each hand @ 35kg
5x10 nordic curls
These were a lot more press-uppy than perhaps is ideal, haha.
3x60s plank (unweighted)

Metcon
EMOM for 10m: 5x KB snatches each hand
Probably a bit too easy even for someone as poorly-conditioned as me. Lighter weight, more reps next time.

Diet

Lunch
Chicken & salad

PM snack
Chicken & coleslaw

Dinner
Teryaki fish stuff & veg

Evening
Shake

Totals
Approx. 1,861kcal
Approx. 175g protein

Tuesday, 10 July

Down to 211.2 today. Had to have a super-quick workout as I need to take the car to get tested before work.

Workout

Warmup
Nothing

Press
10x20kg
5x30kg
3x35kg
3x40kg
3x45kg
5x50kg
PR. 45 was meant to be the 3+ set but I lost track.

Assistance
4x6 chinups @ BW
3x10 BW lunges each leg
*Owie. Lower body is DOMSy as fuck from

Conditioning
Skipped because I am a bad person (who to be fair is short on time)

Diet

Lunch
Chicken & salad

PM snack
Chicken and coleslaw

Dinner
Pork chops, eggs, green beans

Evening
Shake

Totals
Approx. 2,053kcal
Approx. 204g protein

Wednesday, 12 July

Down to 208.9 today so the holiday bloat is basically gone.

Will be drinking a few pints tonight because it’s coming home, obviously.

Leg DOMs is absolutely unreal. Stairs are challenging.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five

Conditioning
20m elliptical moderate pace

Diet

Breakfast
Shake

Lunch
Chicken and veg

Dinner
TBD and pints

Totals
TBD

Friday, 13 July

Was 211.0 after matchday pints on Weds, and the same weight today for some reason despite a pretty low-cal day yesterday.

Oh also I dropped the foot-hook-thing from the decline bench that I adjust into a flat bench on my leg and cut/bruised it so that was a fun start to the day. Hill sprints after lifting didn’t help.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates

Bench
3x50kg
3x60kg
9x65kg (PR, but wanted 10)
3x70kg
1x75kg (joint PR, but wanted a double)

BB Row
5x60kg
5x65kg
5x70kg

Conditioning
EMOM hill sprints: 25ish metres up, then down, then back up, then back down
Lasted six minutes. Sad.

Diet

AM snack
Cereal bar and fruit

Lunch
Chicken salad

PM snack
Chicken salad

Dinner
Not sure actually. Meat and veg.

Evening
Shake

Saturday, 14 July

Back at 209.6 today.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates
Glute Drills
KB swings

Deadlifts
5x60kg
3x80kg
3x100kg
3x112.5kg
3x125kg
3x140kg
1x150kg
0x160kg
Infuriating, again.

Diet

TBD. Today’s log is a rush-job as you can tell by the workout because I’ve things to do.

Monday, 16 July

Was 210.0 on the nose today. Planning on <100g carbs a day going forward this week; parents are visiting the weekend after next so I’m sure that’ll be a “refeed” of sorts. I’m basically evened out after the 10-day holiday, so looks like I’ve gained 1-2lbs there which makes sense. Would like to be <200lbs by the end of August.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
100 pullaparts
50 dislocates
Glute drills

Squat
8x20kg
5x40kg
5x50kg
3x60kg
5x70kg
5x80kg
5x90kg

Assistance
3x10 DB rows @ 40kg
2x30s weighted plank @ 15kg

Conditioning
10m EMOM: 5x KB snatches (left), 3x burpees, 5x KB snatches (right), 3x burpees

Diet

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Cod & salad

Lunch II: Electric Boogaloo
Chicken, cheese, salad

Dinner
Pork steaks w/spinach & tomato omelette

Totals
Approx. 2,225kcal
Approx. 207g protein

Tuesday, 17 July

Still exactly 210.0 today. Reducing calories further this and next week with a minor cheat meal planned for Saturday evening.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates

Press
8x20kg
5x30kg
5x35kg
5x40kg

Assistance
5x6 chinups @ BW
3x8 split squats each leg @ 25kg
I hate these. Also I always fall over when doing the right leg.

Conditioning
Tabata: mountain climbers/squat jumps/groiners/burpees (2x rounds)

Diet

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Chicken breast & salad

Lunch II: Electric Boogaloo
Chicken thighs & salad

Dinner
Beef, cheesy courgettes and veg

Totals
Approx. 1,995Kcal
Approx. 196g protein

Wednesday, 18 July

Down to 208.7 today. Hopefully the trend continues.

No workout today owing to driving lesson. Don’t feel too bad about skipping a LISS day when I’m doing HIIT after every session.

Diet

Breakfast
Protein bar and some bullshit that purported to be a protein flapjack despite having 9g protein and 20g sugar…

Lunch
Chicken salad

PM snack
Beef slices and cheese

Dinner
Lime chicken w/guacamole and veg

Evening
Shake

Totals
Approx. 2,084kcal
Approx. 203g protein

Thursday, 19 July

Back up to 210.2 today. Assume it’s because I wound up having to grab a wrap from the shop by work so I had 200ish grams of carbs yesterday.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates

Bench Press
Forgot my notes about what my 5/3/1 TM and stuff was so just did 3x5
Three rounds of: 5x60kg

Assistance
Yates Rows: 3x5 @ 60kg
DB lunges: 3x5 each leg w/15kg DBs

Conditioning
EMOM: 100ft bag carry (4x25ft)
Heaviest bag was 25kg so while I was pretty out of breath by round eight or so, it wasn’t overly taxing. Going to bring a couple of belts and I can tie together the 25kg with the lighter bags for next time.

Diet

Lunch
Chicken salad

PM snack
Chicken salad again

Dinner
Beef-stuffed peppers & veg

Evening
Shake

Friday, 20 July

Back down to 209.2 today.

I’m kind of in the middle of nothing, programming-wise, so I thought I’d take a run at the deadlift day of the program I got from Brian Alsruhe/Alpha to see how long it would take me and how awful it is.

Surprised myself by being able to actually do the full workout and it not taking two hours. Definitely awful and not fun, but doable at least. It was 1h15m from the end of my warmup until the end of the day, which is decent; I was definitely taking longer than 90s between giant sets so someone with better conditioning (aka me after this) could easily do this in less than 60m.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates
Bear Complex (8 reps per exercise)

Strongman Conditioning
EMOM for 10m:
3x burpees
100ft loaded carry (4x25ft)

Main Giant Set
10x deadlifts @ 90kg
10x arm-supported leg raises
8x KB snatches each hand @ 8kg

8x deadlifts @ 105kg

8x deadlifts @ 120kg
On a normal 5/3/1 day I’d have wanted 10 at this weight so to get eight while already tired was pretty OK with me.

Assistance Giant Set
Three rounds:
16x above-the-knee deadlifts @ 100kg
14x Kroc rows @ 25kg
10x situps

Conditioning
15 rounds:
3x squat cleans, 20s rest
Did about five or six. Conditioning finishers in this program are described as “optional” but I intend to do them. However, I’ve never done squat cleans before and they didn’t feel right. I’m pretty sure I could have finished this if I knew what I was doing, haha.

All in all I can see this being a fucking horrible 12 weeks when I start running it properly.

Diet

Pre-workout
Jam sandwich in lieu of having eggs or cereal in the house

Post-workout
Shake

Lunch
Chicken and salad

PM snack
Chicken and salad

Dinner
Fishcakes with hollandaise and veg

Monday, 23 July

Hit 210.2 today, but had a pretty good-sized cheat meal at a Thai restaurant on Saturday night so I expect it to drop off. I was 208.2 on Saturday morning, for reference.

Had a pretty bad day of lifting today, but it could have been worse. Running a deficit and ate especially poorly yesterday (low cals, low protein) so it shouldn’t be a major surprise.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates
Glute drills

Deadlifts
1x60kg
5x110kg
3x125kg
3x140kg :frowning:
I was aiming for 5-6 but my legs just gave out here. This is equal to my three-rep PR, but I really thought I had more in me so pretty disappointing. Good excuse to look at experimenting with my deadlift setup for the next cycle.

Assistance
20/15/10 DB rows @ 35kg
45/35/30s plank @ 15kg
20x35 and a 45s weighted plank are both PRs. Who cares about compound lifts when you can set weighted plank PRs, right?

Conditioning
8/6/4/2 reps: KB swings/BW manmakers/KB snatches/box jumps
Done just under 10m. Hated it. Will try adding sets of 10 to kick off next time.

Diet

Lunch
Chicken, egg & salad

PM snack
Chicken & salad

Dinner
Beef ribs, corn cob & green beans

Evening
Shake

Totals
2,027kcal
204g protein

Tuesday, 24 July

Down to 208.8lbs this morning but that was pretty much the high point of the day. Terrible lifting day today; everything felt heavy. I suppose running a 800-1,000kcal deficit and doing conditioning will do that to do.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates

Press
5x40kg
3x45kg
1x50kg

Assistance
8x chin-ups, 6x chin-ups, 3x weighted chin-ups @ 5kg
3x5 DB lunges each leg w/2x 17.5kg dumbbells

Conditioning
30s KB snatches (left)
30s hollow rocks
30s KB snatches (right)
30s rest
Made it just about into the fourth round before I had to tap out. Hollow rocks are hard!

Diet

Lunch
Chicken, salad & egg

PM snack
Chicken breast salad w/50g peanuts

Dinner
Chicken teryaki things, chilli paneer & veg

Evening
Shake

Totals
Approx. 2,000kcal
Approx. 200g protein

Wednesday, 25 July

Down to 207.6 today.

No workout owing to driving lesson.

Diet

AM snack
Peanuts & protein bar

Lunch
Chicken, egg & salad

PM snack
Chicken & cheese

Dinner
Turkey salad

Evening
Shake

Totals
Approx. 2,151kcal
Approx. 234g protein

Thursday, 26 July

Another pretty meh day, kicked off with a weigh-in at 207.9.

Today I did a fairly half-assed workout tbh; I wanted to work up to a max on squats but it didn’t pan out.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates
Glute drills

Squats
8x20kg
5x40kg
5x62.5kg
3x77.5kg
2x92.5kg
1x105kg
1x112.5kg
The 105 felt super-easy and I was pretty confident here, but this felt extremely high so I set up my phone to film another.
1x112.5kg again
A little above parallel. I’m not competing so whatever but I didn’t see the point in working up weights beyond this.
3x100kg
5x80kg (paused)

Good Mornings
5x20kg
5x30kg
5x40kg
5x50kg
3x60kg

Conditioning
Bring Sally Up squats @ 40kg
Practically impossible. Switched to a 16kg KB to do Goblet Squats and that was also practically impossible.

Diet

Lunch
Cod fillet & salad

PM snack
Chicken, cheese & nuts

Dinner
Some kind of beef and vegetable concoction.

Evening
2 scoops Gold Standard

Totals
Unsure, but sub-2,000kcal and <50g carbs I’d say. I wonder why my workouts have been so bad recently…

August Training Plan

After this weekend I’m going to spend the three weeks before my holiday running through the first wave of Alpha’s program. All three waves are similar in structure and exercise selection so once I do the first three weeks I’ll know how I’m doing all nine.

Also I really want to drop this extra 7lbs and begin putting on good weight from a place of only chubbiness rather than fatness.

I’ll need to a) know what kind of weights are reasonable for new exercises I’ve never done before e.g. Good Mornings and b) how to plan and execute the giant sets in a small gym. For example I know that a giant set of deadlifts/leg raises/KB snatches involves a trip upstairs between exercises.

Going to err on the lighter side for the weights and see how the AMRAPs pan out, then use that to determine how to proceed when I run the program properly.

The program uses a % of true 1RM rather than TM. My current 1RMs or approx 1RMs are 125/80/160/55 so I’m going to knock off 5-10% and run the first three weeks that way (110/75/150/50) and see how it goes. If a 6+ set results in six grinders I’ll know to keep it there; if a 6+ set results in 15 reps then I’ll know it’s on the low side.

Perversely looking forward to it.

Monday, 30 July

I was meant to hit the gym today but my parents stayed over this weekend and their flight was cancelled last night so they were here this morning and we had to sort stuff out before I went to work.

I was considering doing T/W/T/F rather than M/T/T/F this week anyway given that I need some recovery from a very late night with my dad. I’m actually generally alright hangover-wise, but yesterday he woke up at 5.30pm, had a drink of water and immediately threw up. Fun times.

Down to 206.6 today. May have lost a bit of water weight but still moving in the right direction.

Diet

Lunch
Chicken, salad and egg

PM snack
Chicken and peanuts

Dinner
TBD but likely some sort of chicken

Evening
Shake

LOL Atta Boy!!! He should have gone for the hair of the dog.

We drank the whole dog, I think. A bottle of Jameson was opened and drunk at 3am.

Tuesday, 31 July

As expected, a bit of a spike back up to 208.6 today as I got some water weight back. Definitely did minimal damage on what was effectively a cheat weekend, though, as my parents are happy to keep things quite low-carb which naturally limits intake… well, until you start drinking.

So today was the first run-through of my @Alpha program, though I have done this particular day before just to see if I could. Once I complete the first wave I’ll know how to run the giant sets in my gym. Then, it’s holiday time before coming back and doing the full 12 weeks.

Anyway the next three weeks will be fucking awful. I wanted to puke in the shower.

Workout

Warmup
Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates
Bear Complex (8 reps per exercise)

Strongman Conditioning
EMOM for 10m:
3x burpees
100ft loaded carry (4x25ft)

Main Giant Set
10x deadlifts @ 90kg

8x deadlifts @ 105kg

9x deadlifts @ 120kg
Still wanted 10. In retrospect think I could have ground one out. Regrets. This was a 6+ set so I think a 150kg 1RM for deadlifts makes sense.

Assistance Giant Sets
Three rounds:
16x above-the-knee deadlifts @ 100kg/110kg/115kg
14x Kroc rows @ 27.5kg/30kg/32.5kg
10x situps w/5kg plate

Conditioning
15 rounds:
3x squat cleans, 20s rest
Did this with a power bag, which was probably on the light side because this wasn’t overly vom-inducing.

Diet

Pre-workout
2 fried eggs, oats w/jam

Post-workout
Beef jerky, mixed nuts, protein bar

Lunch
Chicken, egg and salad

PM snack
Chicken and peanuts

Dinner
Chicken (obv) and mixed veg

Totals
Approx. 2,200kcal
Approx. 200g protein

Wednesday, 1 August

Back down to 207.2lbs today. Have a wedding this weekend which doesn’t bode well for the weight loss but we’ll see. I’m 13-15lbs lighter than I was at the start of March and mostly a little stronger so it’s not been an unproductive few months, anyway.

Today’s training was a hell of a lot easier than yesterday’s, probably because it didn’t involve deadlifts. Tomorrow is full of squats and lunges though so already dreading that.

Workout

Flexible Five
200 pullaparts
100 dislocates

Main Giant Set
8x chinups
8x kneeling strict press @ 32.5kg
8x lying wipers (each side)
Programming called for weighted pullups, but given that 8x BW chins is pretty much my max that seemed optimistic! Wipers felt fucked lol.

6x chinups
6x kneeling strict press @ 37.5kg

4x weighted chinups @ 5kg
7x kneeling strict press @ 42.5kg

Strongman
AMRAP in 60 seconds: DB clean and press @ 17.5kg
Right: 15x reps
Left: 14x reps

Assistance Giant Set
Four rounds, AMRAP each exercise in 30s w/30s rest after:
Z Press @ 30kg
Lat raises @ 5kg
Band facepulls
After the DB clean and presses this basically destroyed my shoulders. After the first round it just became an AMRAP, never mind the 30 seconds timer, because I wasn’t able to go that long.

Conditioning
This was meant to be AMRAP empty bar presses followed by 100ft bear/crab/gator walks for 3 rounds but the only space in the gym for this was taken up by a trainer and a client doing some shite, so I went home to do just the walks in the driveway but turns out that bear/crab walks on concrete really fucks up your hands. In retrospect I should have just swapped today’s metcon out with another day’s but I wasn’t thinking that clearly. Long story short I didn’t do any conditioning today because I am a terrible person but lesson learned for next time.

Diet

Preworkout
Ham, egg and cheese concoction

Postworkout
2 scoops Gold Standard

Lunch
Chicken, salad and egg

PM snack
Chicken and peanuts

Dinner
Hunter’s chicken w/mixed veg

Totals