Be At Peace My Old Friend.

Today I had the horrible task of bringing my faithful siberian huskey, Dragon, to the vet to be put to sleep. He was almost 14, and during these past couple of months endured the horrific disease that is cancer. He had surgery, and many more medications than I could even keep track of in my small kitchen. I truly have no doubt that I did the right, and humane thing, and yet it was the most god awful thing I have ever had to do.

The walk from my car to the vet’s office was filled with cringe inducing falls, where I would have to help Dragon to his feet. The one almost bitter sweet moment was when we passed a young siberian huskey poking his head through a fence, and the two animals sniffed, and wagged, and were genuinely happy for a moment. Eventually, as his legs gave way, I had to carry Dragon the few blocks to the vet, tears streaming my face. My buddy Steve, who was kind enough to accompany me, said that God had made me strong for a reason, and here I was able to do the right thing for my friend because of my strength, emotional, and physical.

While part of me did not want to actually be there, I could not abandon my faithful friend who had been with me through so much shit as I have endured in my life. Placing him on the table covered in blankets, I could not hold back my emotions. I stayed with him, holding and petting him. Looking into his eyes, and making sure he could smell that I was there. The vet said that he would go to sleep from the first shot, and then they would administer the 2nd one when I was ready. Dragon kept one eye open, watching me the whole time. The doctor said that these dogs don’t usually live past 10 years, and that for the last 3 he was staying around just for me.

The more people I get to know, the more I came to love my dog. Dragon was an amazing friend who listened and absorbed my tears better than any person I have ever known. My Father always told me that you either get lucky or not with your dogs personality, and I do know how lucky I was.

“Goodbye old friend, I’ll see you on the other side”

I feel that, man. There are some cases where once in a while, you get a special pet that is more than just a pet, but is actually a real friend. They stay with you in your life for a long time and are there by your side, throughout all the shit you are going through, always ready to offer comfort and love, unconditionally.

I had a cat just like that, his name was Kentucky, and he was in my life for 11 years. I raised him from when he was a kitten, and we kind of grew up together. It’s been 5 years since he was gone, and I still miss him.

Once they pass away, they become legends in their own right. Even when you eventually, get another animal in your life, it’s never the same. You still love the new one, of course, but nothing replaces those once in a lifetime special bonds with your true old friends.

Touching story, sorry to hear that Stu. Dogs really are our best friends, I still miss my little one and it’s been 2 years.

My sympathy goes out to you Stu. I had to put my first dog to sleep almost 10 years ago and I still miss him. Just know that he loved you just as much as you loved him.

My sympathies Stu.

I had to do the same thing 3.5 years ago, and 18 years ago.

As hard as it is to do, our dogs earned us being the ones to see them off. It’s not something one asks others to do in our stead.

You did the right thing.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Very sorry you lost your friend, sounds like it was the best thing though.

I’m going to be faced with that decision soon unfortunately, My pup is going to be 13 and showing his age more and more. I’m not looking forward to the day I have to decide what’s best for him.

Sounds like you’ve got alot of good times to think back on with him, and i’m sure those memories will always be with you.

Been there. Put my best friend down almost three years ago and I still think about her every day.

You did the right thing. While it is tempting to keep them around as long as possible, often it ends up prolonging their suffering for our benefit. You also did the right thing being with him at the end. Clearly a good dog has earned that.

Eventually, you will think of Dragon, all the good times that you had together and you will smile.

A good dog is always missed. You are lucky to have had Dragon around you for so long. My dogs never made it past 7 for various, and sometimes freaky reasons.

DB

Stu,

I’m really sorry for your loss. Reading your post brought back memories of three years ago when I had to put down my companion of 10 years. You explained the experience better than I ever could have. Hang in there man.

Mike

You made me cry in front of other people. I feel your pain and hope that you can grieve your loss in comfort.

Ahhh! This brings back the difficult memories when I had to my 13 year old yellow lab down. His joints had been troublesome for the final few years and then his kidneys failed. It was when I saw blood in his urine, I knew he was at his end. I was 24 at the time, so he was my best friend for half of my life. I can put into words how much a part of my life he was and how much he meant to our family. I’m trying to choke back emotions right now.

It was late March 2002 when Bucky when I noticed blood in his urine and he urinated inside, which was not characteristic of him at all. He was an inside dog at this time, as his joints obviously ached from being such an active dog in his youth. We let him “retire” to the comfort of inside the home with a padded bed to sleep on.

So upon seeing this, I feared the worst. My wife had seen this in one of her dogs as a child and said that her dad had to put it down, because the vet said it’s kidneys were failing and there wasn’t anything he could do to help. I didn’t want to hear that, of course, but my dad also said the same thing. Then my dad said in a most serious, yet concerned voice “It’s time”. My heart sank. I didn’t want him to go like this. I hoped that when the time came, he’d pass in his sleep.

What made this even more difficult was that I was working Mon-Fri job, and couldn’t come with my dad to the vet to see him off. I remember that morning looking at him before I left for work, crying like a baby, giving him one last head and belly rub and saying “good bye”. It screwed my whole day up. I pretty much just sat and moped at work, getting nothing done. When I got off work, I picked my dad up and went pick his body up, came home, and buried him.

This was the most heartwrenching, difficult, yet right ordeal I have yet to go through. And this is my long winded way of saying “Stu I know just how you feel, and you have my condolences. It was not easy, but you did right to end his pain.”

The lil’ lady in my avatar says “Grrr.woof woof woof.” I don’t quite know what that means, but she looks very sympathetic.

You made my eyes well up…sorry to hear it man.

Touching. I hope you find peace as well, sir.

So sad.

Both your mother and your dog give you the greatest unconditional love.

But your dog never makes you feel guilty if you don’t call her/him every week.

I had to do this once, to a dog that was with me for 15 years when I was growing up. He used to lay across my lap as I cried through all my teenage crisis. He died in my arms, just like your dog, when I was 25.

I can still feel his soft fur against my face.

A good dog is like a child. When you loose them it feels as if part of you is gone. I have an Aussie Shepard named Kal-El. He is the best dog I have ever had. I would greatly miss him when he passes.

I hope this sits right…I am sending you a hug brother!

Dragon is at peace for he gave you more years than expected and guided you through your tears. His job is done.

My heart aches for you.

So sorry for your loss. Seems like your story made all of our eyes well up, so I’m not alone.

What a beautiful dog he was! If I ever get a dog it might just be a husky.