Be a Bodybuilder or Go for Physique?

I’ve been training seriously about 2 years now.
Wheels are small, quads only measure 25" (just started training them about 8 months ago =/) Calves are very good, 1/4" smaller than my arms.
around 194 at 6’0 Right now.
Back pic is a little old, slightly better now.
My ultimate goal is to be a bodybuilder, but it seems like everyone I talk to pushes me the other way, I don’t know if I should continue with my goal or not. Either way criticism is appreciated.

Two other Pics

Leg shot.

[quote]joel3431 wrote:
My ultimate goal is to be a bodybuilder, but it seems like everyone I talk to pushes me the other way, I don’t know if I should continue with my goal or not.[/quote]

If you pursue a career in bodybuilding OR physique contests (but especially bodybuilding), you are going to encounter many more nay-sayers than supporters. Bodybuilding is a sport for freaks. You have to be comfortable with that. If you’re considering quitting that pursuit after only 2 years of training simply because a few people told you not to do it, then you have a personal problem.

The biggest difference between the top physique competitors and bodybuilders is legs. The second biggest difference is that bodybuilders have to be leaner in contest condition. You honestly have no idea how much potential you have in this regard because you’ve only got 8 months of leg training under your belt. My advice would be to continue training for bodybuilding, and just see where it takes you. If you train hard for a few more years and don’t look like a bodybuilder, maybe physique is for you. It’s just too early to know.

Best of luck.

yea your physique right now look more physique-esque than bodybuilder status. But you could definitely change that. If you wanna be a bodybuilder you gotta be able to get REALLY lean and you gotta really focus on lower body. It is possible but its a whole different ball game.

Thanks guys, the insight is always appreciated.

do what YOU want to do. Don’t let other people dictate that. You don’t need reassurance from anyone.

You said it yourself, your ultimate goal is to be a bodybuilder. So do it, listening to other people in this sport will get you no where. Unless they are giving you useful advice and criticism. Bodybuilding is a sport for freaks like it was stated up there, it’s true. Its not for everybody. Now, being a bodybuilder doesn’t necessarily mean you compete, because I sure don’t.

Do I want to? Yes. Do I still consider myself a bodybuilder? Hell ya. Take the name down to its simplest form. Body-Builder. One who builds his body. Anyways, enough of my rant. You look great, I would definitely work on the shaping of your arm and widening of your back. Besides that, good work man!

BODYBUILDING
You have the wide shoulders, v taper waist and impressive size in your calves. BY first glance you have size and width and other key elements you need for transforming into a stage ready bodybuilder.

you should always aim for the thing you want the most, and only settle for something else if it absolutely doesn’t work out. So, go for bodybuilding.

I would say physique based on the pictures we have, but you have a good basis for bodybuilding too. Just remember that with bodybuilding if you are serious… There is going to be a lot of drugs involved among other things to go anywhere in today’s bodybuilding scene.

It is all in what you want to do though brother. You have to weight the pros and cons and make a decisions, but I would say you could probably do either.

Just a quick comment to say that you look good for two years of training only, with chest probably being your main forte ATM. Keep at it and results will follow

[quote]kurtisyim wrote:
Now, being a bodybuilder doesn’t necessarily mean you compete, because I sure don’t.
[/quote]

How to start an argument on lifting forums 101

Next up on our agenda:

1. Dirty vs clean bulking
  2. Geared vs raw lifting
  3. Natty vs assisted
  4. Squat depth
  5. Crossfit
  6. Anything PX says

Did I miss anything?

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]kurtisyim wrote:
Now, being a bodybuilder doesn’t necessarily mean you compete, because I sure don’t.
[/quote]

Next up on our agenda:

2. Geared vs raw lifting
  3. Natty vs assisted
  4. Squat depth
  5. Crossfit
  6. Anything PX says

Did I miss anything?[/quote]

I miss PX.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]kurtisyim wrote:
[/quote]

Next up on our agenda:

2. Geared vs raw lifting
  3. Natty vs assisted
  4. Squat depth
  5. Crossfit
  6. Anything PX says

Did I miss anything?[/quote]

I miss PX.[/quote]

PX but BONEZ too. Still remember the BONEZ/PX beef like it was yesterday.

SB

I would go for physique til you bring your legs up, if you want to get your hands dirty and compete soon I would start where you fit.

Prioritize your legs, a lot of bodybuilding shows are won with the legs. EVEYONE pushes for the upper body, real Bodybuilders bust it on Legs.

[quote]NICE GUY wrote:
Prioritize your legs, a lot of bodybuilding shows are won with the legs. EVEYONE pushes for the upper body, real Bodybuilders bust it on Legs.[/quote]
I agree with this. I also think that shows are won by the back as well.