BDWP: Is Low Volume Enough? Realistic Gains at 41? When to Progress to Part 2?

I got it, I assumed it was a program, but I can’t train 6 days a week. I saw a CT program that I liked in the whole body…,The Best Damn High Volume Workout Plan for Natties, but I find it very complicated to calculate every week, so I set up the sets and reps as I want them. In fact, a full body workout of not much volume is doing well for me, I’m increasing in size. But I want to reduce fat. At the same time, I want to reduce fat and gain muscle, which is difficult at 46 with my lifestyle. But I’m struggling.

First, don’t use the lifting workout as a way to lose fat. While lifting WILL have beneficial effects on fat loss, it cannot be the main trigger for muscle growth. The amount of calories burned in a lifting workout is actually fairly small. And doing more and more volume just to burn more calories will get you overtrained and you might even regress muscle-wise.

Use the lifting workout to stimulate muscle growth and strength gains and your diet (and maybe cardio) to lose fat.

2 Likes

Oh Chris, thank you so much for joining in. You mean it is better to train for strength … a small number per set but heavy ??? For example 3/2/1, 3x3, ramp 3,3, 3, 3 … 3 and similar programs. Fat reduction is combined with nutrition, but what training is best if we want to reduce fat and maintain or increase muscle mass. I have not measured my fat, but they say they are about 30%.
I have read almost all of your programs and went astray which one is best for people in my situation :slight_smile:
When I look in the mirror and see how my arms are outlined and their volume grows, and at the same time my waist doesn’t move and I’m fat, I wonder what to do. I want to have no fat in this amount, but I also don’t want to lose muscle.

From what I understand, Simultaneous fat loss AND muscle gain is very difficult, it is possible but everything must be perfect and dialed in. And it is slow going. You need a slight caloric deficit, ample protein, low stress lifestyle, great sleep and recovery etc.

1 Like

Yes, it should be more gradual. It can initially drop 4-5 kg. /10-20 lb/ ​​faster, which will be mostly water and then slower. It takes patience and perseverance 24/7. There is no other way for me.

Well, yes and no.

That can be done. But it can also be in the 6-10 range. What I meant was to avoid doing a boatload of sets to burn more calories.

3 Likes

Yes, today I trained in three push exercises with a little warming up and then two working 6 + 4 res pause. I also did triceps isolation. I think of pushing, pulling, resting, legs, resting and repeating. Generally speaking, with not much volume and 1-2 heavier series.
For example, you can see my last workout and share an opinion. Of course I will not be angry and you will not. However, it is important that the workouts also bring pleasure.
And yes, I know about the impact of cortisol, which is larger when the volume is larger. I read a lot of your articles on this subject :wink:
Just to add my mind. I read the detailed program Primer 52 and think to start it as it fully meets my goals. Would it be good, in the days for hypertrophy to use mainly machines and cable with methods 6 + 4, 5/4/3/2/1 and the like. And in the days of strength only free weights-barbell, dumbbells, and the personal weight for chest dip, chin up. It is also no problem in the days of hypertrophy to use free weights, but the said methods are riskier. If I practice for example at 3x 8-10, it will be free weights.