BCAA's

Hey guys I am thinking about starting to take BCAA’s and my question is for those who are using BCAA’s do you think they are worth it and did you have better results in your training with them. Also what’s the brand name of the ones you use.

Thanks!

Ive taken scifit and prolab BCAA (powder), i like these you can mix them into a low calorie grape drink , throw some caffeine and taurine powder and theres your workout drink. I still buy the BCAA caps and take them at or about 1 hour through my training for nitrogen retention through the next 30 minutes of my workout.

I use free form amino acids (FFAA). I’ve used Nitromine with great success, and am using Anabol Naturals Amino Balance an hour before every meal with good success.

Yea, I’d like to hear more on this one too.

I never thought twice about them until CT kept mentioning them in his articles.

Hey TC, maybe a BCAA “roundtable”?!

According to Mauro Di Pasquale and Charles Poliquin the dosage is pretty high, can’t remember exactly but they said like 40g or something was necessary. Its mentioned in a CP audio file, interviewed by TC somewhere on this site.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
According to Mauro Di Pasquale and Charles Poliquin the dosage is pretty high, can’t remember exactly but they said like 40g or something was necessary. Its mentioned in a CP audio file, interviewed by TC somewhere on this site.[/quote]

You mean in a single dose? That seems pretty high. I might have to go pick up a copy of “Amino Acids and the Athlete”.

I ran out last week and did’nt take them for about a week and now I am paying for it. I’m so freaking sore now. They really do help with recovery.

But I have them again now. I take the Vitamin Shoppe brand twice a day.
L-Leucine 2.4 Gm

L-Iosleucine 1200 Mg

L-Valine 1200 Mg

Only $12 for about a month.

Charles Poliquin has suggested .44g of BCAAs per kg of bodyweight, taken 30 minutes prior and 30 minutes after, or to sip the BCAAs during workouts.

This based off of Eric Serrano and Mario Di Pasquale?s recommendation that is based on an Italian study which shown greater increases of LBM and strength of supplementing from .2g per kg of bodyweight.

I’m currently using them. I have 16 grams during my workout, 8 grams in the afternoon, and 8 more grams about a half hour before my prebed shake.
I use the cheap brand ($20 for 300 grams) and it pretty much tastes like ground up asprin. I mix it w/ crystal light to mask the flavor. Also w/ every dose I have 8-10 grams of glutamine.
I’ve noticed that I recover faster and don’t get as sore. Before I started taking them I think I was pushing the limit of overtraining and was starting to notice some signs of it, but now I’m back to normal as far as sleep, sex drive, and mood.
I’ve read that when you take them you should try to time it so you’re not eating anything else for a while b/c your whole food protein will compete for absorbtion w/ the bcaa’s. Not sure if it’s true, but it’s something I follow.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
According to Mauro Di Pasquale and Charles Poliquin the dosage is pretty high, can’t remember exactly but they said like 40g or something was necessary. Its mentioned in a CP audio file, interviewed by TC somewhere on this site.[/quote]

It is mentioned in a few articles on this site as well as an interview with Eric Serrano I believe. Now CP does suggest 40g, but also states on a limited budget, you can take 20g, but anything less isn’t worth it.

BTW
I take Beverly Int. - Glutamine Select Plus BCAAs, which is Black Cherry flavored

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (9.2 Grams)
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving:

L-Glutamine 5000mg
L-Leucine 1500 mg
L-Isoleucine 750 mg
L-Valine 750 mg

I use Healthy & Fit’s Anabolic Amino’s 10,000. I also use Prescission Engineered Liquid Aminos. They are both amino acid combo’s not just BCAA’s but they have good BCAA concentrations. I think they make a huge difference in LBM and more so recovery. They do however get expensive but I take 5 serving of each daily. Worth it.

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:

Hey TC, maybe a BCAA “roundtable”?![/quote]

I was working on a BCAA Barrticle a few months back… very factual, well referenced, and boring as hell.

Most of the current application is just guesswork, so it may be worthwhile revisiting the topic and spicing it up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

[quote]xjayx300 wrote:
Now CP does suggest 40g, but also states on a limited budget, you can take 20g, but anything less isn’t worth it.
[/quote]
Exactly what CP has mentioned at his seminars.
I have used ICE by Xtreme Formulations and “BCAA Plus Glutamine” by MRM. Both have BCAAs and glutamine in them and are flavored.
Or, you can just buy straight BCAAs in bulk and put them in Crystal Lite and drink during workout.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Soldierslim wrote:

Hey TC, maybe a BCAA “roundtable”?!

I was working on a BCAA Barrticle a few months back… very factual, well referenced, and boring as hell.

Most of the current application is just guesswork, so it may be worthwhile revisiting the topic and spicing it up.

Thanks for the suggestion.[/quote]

Earlier in the week, I was contemplating asking you similar questions regarding BCAA usage and dosage.

A BCAA article would definitely be interesting. Are you still bullish on Beta-Alanine… I’m surprised we haven’t heard a peep out of T-Nation regarding it’s usage.

[quote]David Barr wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.[/quote]

Please, do so!
That would be very helpful!!

just put some high quality whey isolate in your carb drink while you workout <or before or after, or all the time!>.

i put it in my carb drink when i train.

I never train without Surge. What would be a good recommendation on BCAA usage for Surge users?

I’ve been experimenting with morning Glutamine usage for the supposed GH release ala CP.

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:
I never train without Surge. What would be a good recommendation on BCAA usage for Surge users.

I’ve been experimenting with morning Glutamine usage for the supposed GH release ala CP.[/quote]

I also believe I heard from CP that carbs slow the release of hGH, so if your goal is to elevate hGH, you might want to save the Surge for afterwards and sip on the BCAAs during the workout…

is BCAA the same as taking iso whey protien? can both be taken?