BCAAs

how many of you guys use them exclusively? I use a BCAA drink before my workout, BCAA’s during then some bcaa powder with my whey after my workout?

I found BCAA’s during workout as espeically beneficial

I have used powdered BCAA’s while working out. I did not experience any significant benefits: however, I believe that I was not using a high enough dosage to be beneficial. I just cost me to damn much to follow Poliquin’s recommendations. If you are reaping some benefits please let us know what protocols you are following, if they are working for you I will give them another shot.

Regards,
bamit

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
I found BCAA’s during workout as espeically beneficial[/quote]

Beneficial? In what regard?

Cheers

Dave,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on this. Poliquin recommends .44 grams per kilogram of bodweight of BCAA’s (leucine, isoleucine and valine) before/during your workout, which equates to about 41 grams (!) for someone like me (I weigh 205 pounds). Although pricey, the anti-catabolic effects sound promising, but I know that one of the ways these supposedly work is by raising insulin. Since I’m in a cutting phase and am eating pretty low-carb (apart from my post-workout Surge and the occasional carb-up day), would this protocol not be recommended during my cutting phase?

Thanks in advance.

Wasnt Christian Thibaudeau the one recommanding 5g of creatine + 5g of glutamine + 5g of BCAA --FIVE times a day?

That is costly. But he says it hepled clients gain 8 pounds of muscle while losing some fat - in two weeks! It looked impressive to me. Anyone tried that?

Dam, good call. 41g will likely get insulin going. If you’re increasing insulin after a workout, it’s not going to do you any harm to elevate insulin an hour earlier.

BCAA’s seem to elevate muscle protein sysnthesis, but nearly all of the work has been done in animals. We still don’t know how to use them optimally, and they’re too damn expensive to play around with. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
how many of you guys use them exclusively? I use a BCAA drink before my workout, BCAA’s during then some bcaa powder with my whey after my workout?

I found BCAA’s during workout as espeically beneficial[/quote]

Exclusively? So you mean taking BCAAs instead of a pre, during or post-workout drink???

[quote]bamit wrote:
I have used powdered BCAA’s while working out. I did not experience any significant benefits: however, I believe that I was not using a high enough dosage to be beneficial. I just cost me to damn much to follow Poliquin’s recommendations. If you are reaping some benefits please let us know what protocols you are following, if they are working for you I will give them another shot.

Regards,
bamit[/quote]

Actually I have used BCAAs exclusively for during workout nutrition. For a few months I tried taking 20-30g of BCAA in capsules DURING my workouts. I have significantly more stamina (between sets as the workout progressed I didn’t feel tired and felt like I could do a lot more) and I noticed a significant increase in muscularity during this time. I also never seemed to get rundown, overtrain or get very sore from my workouts. It was darn inconvenient and expensive though. I’m currently experimenting with more nutrients of a more economical nature. At this point in time, high dose BCAA supplementation during workouts produces the most significant results.

I don’t use them exclusively, but I do get them from using Surge.

Christopher

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Dam, good call. 41g will likely get insulin going. If you’re increasing insulin after a workout, it’s not going to do you any hard to elevate insulin an hour earlier.

BCAA’s seem to elevate muscle protein sysnthesis, but nearly all of the work has been done in animals. We still don’t know how to use them optimally, and they’re too damn expensive to play around with. :P[/quote]

Thanks Dave. I just started doing this (40 grams before/during, with Surge after my workout) a few days ago (in the midst of my cutting phase) and am curious to give it a shot for a few weeks and see if it benefits me. I know, I know, they’re too damn expensive to play around with, but I decided to play anyway. For the sake of science, ya’ know . . . ! :wink: