BCAA's: Your Thoughts? Necessary?

how does it help you? would you say it does a lot for you as well? im thinking about gettin some.

yes it helps
do a search there are tons of info on them

BCAA’s are a great thing taken after a workout
they are best used at higher doses though

they have helped me a ton though I gained and kept more muscle with them than without.

alright i’ll do a quick search.
you’d say it’s best when cuttin to keep muscle?
5g is recommended, what do you think ‘higher dose’ is? 15?
also, do you use T-Nation BCAA or any bcaa? im looking to amazon.com to get it.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
alright i’ll do a quick search.
you’d say it’s best when cuttin to keep muscle?
5g is recommended, what do you think ‘higher dose’ is? 15?
also, do you use T-Nation BCAA or any bcaa? im looking to amazon.com to get it.[/quote]

aminos are actually converted from protien

they are what your muscles use readly along with glycogen for food
that is my understanding anyways

it helps when cutting and also when bulking heps you retain and also earn muscle mass

I am not sure the amount but I take about 10 grams 5 before and then 5 during my work out sipped along with a carb rich drink like gatorade or Surge
favorite is powder gatorade mixed in grapefruit juice.

I havent had a chance to order any from here.
I have a tub of stuff called BCAA 5000 its 5 grams total BCAA mixed up with some fillers and what not but it is horrible. and bitter I suggest a strong juice or a shake

I used to take pills add up about 50 and take half before and then the other half sat in a baggie in my pocket and poped a couple every time I drink something during my work out.
as long as it was about 10 grams.
ant health food store or vitimin place sells bcaa they are readaly available just ask no need to go online IMO.

haha thanks. apparently huge doses like over 25g are minimum-otherwise its not worth it. heh, sounds liek a lot. i was thinking about getting powder for cost effectiveness, and online i found is generally cheaper. i can get 10lb whey concentrate for about 56$ online where outside stores 5lbs is 50%ish

BCAA’s around workouts have really helped, you notice the difference in recovery, size and strength if taken correctly.

however they are not 100% necessary a good post work out drink such as Surge should have them ‘built in’ to a certain extent (not as high as 20-40 grams though)

if you have the extra money then sure they will help if not then dont sweat it, they are not essential.

They’re good at making your wallet deplete as is the case with most supps. Bodybuilders are one of the most exploited groups as far as marketing goes. They got us hook line and sinker. Probably on an island sipping a pina colada right now. Heavy lifting , whole foods is all you need. Props to those manufacturers for making their coin though.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
They’re good at making your wallet deplete as is the case with most supps. Bodybuilders are one of the most exploited groups as far as marketing goes. They got us hook line and sinker. Probably on an island sipping a pina colada right now. Heavy lifting , whole foods is all you need. Props to those manufacturers for making their coin though.[/quote]

keep doing your yoga buddy :wink:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
yogaroots wrote:
They’re good at making your wallet deplete as is the case with most supps. Bodybuilders are one of the most exploited groups as far as marketing goes. They got us hook line and sinker. Probably on an island sipping a pina colada right now. Heavy lifting , whole foods is all you need. Props to those manufacturers for making their coin though.

keep doing your yoga buddy ;)[/quote]

keep shellin out your money buddy. the point i was making is that most trainees don’t have their diet,training and rest in order without those things lined up…it’s a waste. period.see you at GNC…lol

I’m with yogaroots on this one. It’s a “supplement”, not a necessity. Too many newbies read the articles here and assume they can’t function without a plethora of overpriced supplements.
If you can afford the massive amounts of BCAA’s it takes to gauge the slightest difference, more power to you.
IMO, after you’ve got your diet truly in order, you ‘may’ need a multivitamin, vitamin C, supplemental protein and fish oil generally in that order.

Of course nutrition is the key and provided that is dialed in I know they help me with gains. Also, when my nutrition isn’t the best by using them I haven’t lost my muscle or strength. Flameout and BCAA’s have been huge for me since using them the last few years.

D

i’ll try keeping my diet in check with green tea extract and fish oil and multi with my own zinc and mag.
then ill see if i need anytihng

[quote]Radjxf wrote:
I’m with yogaroots on this one. It’s a “supplement”, not a necessity. Too many newbies read the articles here and assume they can’t function without a plethora of overpriced supplements.
If you can afford the massive amounts of BCAA’s it takes to gauge the slightest difference, more power to you.
IMO, after you’ve got your diet truly in order, you ‘may’ need a multivitamin, vitamin C, supplemental protein and fish oil generally in that order. [/quote]

A guy came into the gym with a container of no2 stuff. I was shocked when I looked at the price 65 bucks! Why not just buy 65 dollars worth of chicken, yams, broccoli, and eggs. Maybe I’m weird but “food first” is and always will be my motto.

If you add supplements to a BAD DIET, It’s still a BAD DIET.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
Radjxf wrote:
IMO, after you’ve got your diet truly in order, you ‘may’ need a multivitamin, vitamin C, supplemental protein and fish oil generally in that order.

A guy came into the gym with a container of no2 stuff. I was shocked when I looked at the price 65 bucks! Why not just buy 65 dollars worth of chicken, yams, broccoli, and eggs. Maybe I’m weird but “food first” is and always will be my motto.

If you add supplements to a BAD DIET, It’s still a BAD DIET.[/quote]

Steaks do not come in red and blue bottles with yellow writing promising XXXXTREME RESULTS TO GET U HYOOOOOGE.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
yogaroots wrote:
Radjxf wrote:

If you add supplements to a BAD DIET, It’s still a BAD DIET.

Steaks do not come in red and blue bottles with yellow writing promising XXXXTREME RESULTS TO GET U HYOOOOOGE.[/quote]

darn, and i was about to go out and buy KOBE’s sneakers. They would make me dunk right?..lol

[quote]Radjxf wrote:
IMO, after you’ve got your diet truly in order, you ‘may’ need a multivitamin, vitamin C, supplemental protein and fish oil generally in that order. [/quote]

What the hell…

You need to change the order of the preferred supplements you stated towards the end of your response; but to clarify first, I’ll throw in some general facts.

Multi-vitatmin?.. Why? If his diet is truly in order he should be receiving the majority of his nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, including hefty amounts of fiber through fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I don’t see any reason for the vitamin.

Vitamin-C?..Refer to the above.

Supplemental Protein… Alright, I’ll agree on the general consensus that the majority of the population could use a bit more high quality, more readily absorbed protein.

Fish Oil…This was my main concern, this should be the first thing basically everyone on this website should be jumping on immediately, and should easily have been the first thing you stated in recommending supplements.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with you, as well as ‘yogaroots’ debate that the majority of people need to have their diet in line before considering supplements. But if anything, if they consider any supplements once this task is achieved, Fish Oil should be first and foremost; far too many benefits for me to even list.

Especially the product they sell on this website, Flameout. The complex is outstanding.

I was taking BCAA’s for about a year straight and I didn’t experienced one-single thing, no changes either when I stopped taking them obviously. I think it has been established that in order for them to be effective, you have to take them in larger amounts. I never had the willingness or the extra money to pop 20 caps in the middle of my training session and another 20 at the end, I decided to increase my “Surge” intake instead.

I can see some use for them if you are dieting down and you are concern about loosing too much muscle, but once again, it seems you have to go way above the recommended dosage in order for them to work.

[quote]Oquendog wrote:
Radjxf wrote:

What the hell…

You need to change the order of the preferred supplements you stated towards the end of your response; but to clarify first, I’ll throw in some general facts.

Multi-vitatmin?.. Why? If his diet is truly in order he should be receiving the majority of his nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, including hefty amounts of fiber through fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I don’t see any reason for the vitamin.

Vitamin-C?..Refer to the above.

Supplemental Protein… Alright, I’ll agree on the general consensus that the majority of the population could use a bit more high quality, more readily absorbed protein.

Fish Oil…This was my main concern, this should be the first thing basically everyone on this website should be jumping on immediately, and should easily have been the first thing you stated in recommending supplements.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with you, as well as ‘yogaroots’ debate that the majority of people need to have their diet in line before considering supplements. But if anything, if they consider any supplements once this task is achieved, Fish Oil should be first and foremost; far too many benefits for me to even list.

Especially the product they sell on this website, Flameout. The complex is outstanding.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips guys! I’ll debate on the BCAA’s later if I need to. I hate being sore -_-.

What would you think a good diet is? Goals are to increase (at least maintain strength) and maintain/increase lean body mass while losing fat. I know this is the harder route, but I’m fine with this.

I don’t eat junk except for an occasional grainy bar once in a while when I’m away from normal food. No sugars except PWO and pretty balanced mono/sat fats. Poly is lacking a bit.
50% fats, 20-25% carbs, ~30% protein at 3-3.5k cals. 170bw, 16%fat.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys! I’ll debate on the BCAA’s later if I need to. I hate being sore -_-.

What would you think a good diet is? Goals are to increase (at least maintain strength) and maintain/increase lean body mass while losing fat. I know this is the harder route, but I’m fine with this.

I don’t eat junk except for an occasional grainy bar once in a while when I’m away from normal food. No sugars except PWO and pretty balanced mono/sat fats. Poly is lacking a bit.
50% fats, 20-25% carbs, ~30% protein at 3-3.5k cals. 170bw, 16%fat.[/quote]

May sound cliche, but eat 6 small balanced meals per day. Drink plenty of water. Don’t worry about supps.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:

May sound cliche, but eat 6 small balanced meals per day. Drink plenty of water. Don’t worry about supps.[/quote]

Ok, enough.

While I agree that most supplements aren’t going to give you a performance edge that justifies their price, there are times when some supplements, notably BCAAs, can and will have a noticeable impact.

Like has been mentioned before : dieting and preserving lean mass.

You know what 6 small balanced meals and water got me in the past? Leaner, and weaker.

When I added peri-workout BCAAs, along with in-between meal BCAAs, not only did I lean out, I was able to GAIN CONSIDERABLE strength on almost all of my lifts (almost 100lbs on deadlifts.)

Not only is that the holy grail of results, but it makes dieting a fuckload easier when you know you aren’t shriveling up week to week.

So, if you’re looking to maintain or even improve an already high level of performance, then you’ll most likely benefit from additional BCAA intake. They’re not roids, but to act like they do nothing is just ridiculous.