T Nation

BCAA's ... Which Brand?

Before i get into this, I just want to say that I’m not trying to bash Biotest, because I use the supplements and enjoy this site.

Can someone explain to me the benefits of using Biotest’s BCAAs over say, Xtreme Formulations ICE. I think I’ve read before that Berardi uses or supports the ICE BCAAs.

I don’t know what the deal is on the quality of the supplements, or even how to figure that out, but ICE is only about 20 cents more per serving and has just about double the concentration (even though it is in powder form).

Basically I’m just wondering why use Biotest brand if ICE is as good as, or better of a product?

Also how can someone try to figure out if one brand is better than another? Are there studies or something that I can look into?

Scattered post, but hopefully you guys get the point.

ICE is here if you need a link to compare www.bodybuilding.com/store/xf/ice.html

It’s been said before. Pills are more convenient for on the go usage. It should cost more per serving.

agreed. I’ve heard nothing but good things about ICE, but seeing that BCAA’s are a “several times throughout the day” type of supplement, I can’t imagine carrying around little baggies of powder, I’d just make a mess everywhere.

I get what you’re saying, but how about quality?

Not necessarily talking about these two products anymore, how does one go about deciding which has a higher quality without personally experimenting?

If what I’m asking is unclear, please let me know.

IMO,ICE is a very good brand. Not to take anything away from Biotest’s BCAA product, they do make some great stuff.

For everybody who is saying pills are easier…well heck, one sip and done. I just fill 2-3 (depending on my dosages) 1/2 liter bottles with the ICE and then sip or drink the bottles during the day.

It’s easy if you put the time in and prepare better.

If it were easy, everybody would be jacked and shredded.

Pills aren’t the only way to happiness, but they can help,
SP

Both are good. I would go with Biotest products, after all, this is their site and they do make damn good stuff. Also, I havent heard much about that Ice brand except from Berardi.

Im willing to pay a 'lil more for a Biotest product due to the free info. i get from here. This is not the only place i shop though, if theres a product of what i believe is similar quality & superior savings on cost, ill purchase that, if the costs are similar ill get it here.

[quote]strongFB wrote:
IMO,ICE is a very good brand. Not to take anything away from Biotest’s BCAA product, they do make some great stuff.

For everybody who is saying pills are easier…well heck, one sip and done. I just fill 2-3 (depending on my dosages) 1/2 liter bottles with the ICE and then sip or drink the bottles during the day.

It’s easy if you put the time in and prepare better.

If it were easy, everybody would be jacked and shredded.

Pills aren’t the only way to happiness, but they can help,
SP[/quote]

You contradicted yourself. I’m not saying both products aren’t great, but you can’t say something is truly easier and then say you just have to put in the time and prepare better.

As to the quality, I would say they are both great so it just comes down to price and convenience.

Since Biotest was out of stock when I needed to reorder, I bought from Scivation. The stuff is called Xtend and it’s a watermelon flavored powder BCAA product. It’s alright, but it tastes a little rough and I’d rather pop the pills.

BCAA’s taste like SHIT. Or atleast i think so. So pills are easier. Also some brands of BCAA’s arnt that solouble. Well they require alot more stirring, warm water helps. So it all depends. Give it a try and find out if you like it or not.

[quote]Beatnik wrote:
BCAA’s taste like SHIT. Or atleast i think so. So pills are easier.[/quote]

AGREED

I originally bought 2 bottles of Biotest BCAA’s and liked the results. I then bought a large container of BCAA’s from another site based on price. It is powder form.

The taste is SO nasty, that I have to mix it w/protein powder to get it down. Some things are worth a little extra money, the Biotest in pill form go down MUCH easier and are more conveinent.

Just my 0.02

I like both. I prefer to sip ICE during workout and pop the pills (Biotest) throught out the day. I could’nt see myself popping 40 pills during a workout.

Honestly, to me its like comparing apples to apples. Its still an apple. Eat it.

They both are the same, just different forms and both will achieve the same thing.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
I like both. I prefer to sip ICE during workout and pop the pills (Biotest) throught out the day. I could’nt see myself popping 40 pills during a workout.

Honestly, to me its like comparing apples to apples. Its still an apple. Eat it.

They both are the same, just different forms and both will achieve the same thing.

[/quote]

Best post. The quality is the same. And that’s true for most every reputable company that makes them. It’s all about preference and how much more convenient you find pills and how important a little savings are to you.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:

[/quote]

Agree completely. If like many of us you buy most of your supps here it would be advantageous to buy your BCAA’s here it would get you closer to the free shipping qualifier.

D

I use bulk BCAAs and Crystal Light. Works like a charm and saves a ton of money in the long run.

I pop Biotest’s like candy. I get my powder fill from other things. I like my BCAA’s to be tablets.

I think Biotest BCAA’s are the best, unless your stomach doesnt tolerate the most gigantic pill ever made.
I do horrible with large huge tablets and find that I like capsuled BCAA’s.
the vitamine shoppe is convienent and makes capsules and im always running out like candy.

I also like beverly intl mass, and muscularity.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
greekdawg wrote:

Agree completely. If like many of us you buy most of your supps here it would be advantageous to buy your BCAA’s here it would get you closer to the free shipping qualifier.

D

[/quote]

Wait, we can qualify for free shipping? How does that work?

Orders $150 and over qualify.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Wait, we can qualify for free shipping? How does that work?[/quote]

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
greekdawg wrote:

Best post. The quality is the same. And that’s true for most every reputable company that makes them. It’s all about preference and how much more convenient you find pills and how important a little savings are to you. [/quote]

Yes. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m already taking a couple of shaker bottles to work with me with protein powder. If I was then messing with BCAA powder it would just be more to worry about. I like the pill form.