T Nation

BCAA's vs. L-Leucine

Would it be better to take just the BCAA or the L-Leucine, or mix them both. I know L-Leucine is in the BCAA chain, but you can also get the L-Leucine by itself.

A mixture of both, or buying a product that has extra leucine already added in.

thanks scott. FYI, i still think you’re cool <3

Ha, thanks man.

It’s much cheaper to just get the powder and mix it in but beware both BCAA & Leucine powder taste awful.

Mix them both together and you better have a strong stomach.

Everyone hates the taste of the amino powders, do you try to take them straight up or are you mixing them with a PWO shake or anything? I add around 20 grams to my Wazy Maize Starch shake and never have a problem. It’s of course in about 75 grams of carbs with 32 oz water so it’s fairly dilluted, but that sort of combination works well for me.

People who are taking them between meals would likely benefit from a capping machine.

While low carbing I’ve made shakes with tons of unflavored BCAA powder and glutamine, and a packet of Crystal Light or Nestea’s new knockoff brand (which often has a carb or two that I’m willing to put up with during WO and PWO) is often enough to get it down.

With no extra flavoring BCAA drinks are about the only shakes that have ever made me come close to throwing up, but a little bit of flavoring makes it pretty easy.

I will say that for BCAAs though I mostly use pills now.

When I do powdered BCAA’s I just pop the powder in a shake if I’m having one. In between meals, just pop the powder in your mouth, and slam some water.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Everyone hates the taste of the amino powders, do you try to take them straight up or are you mixing them with a PWO shake or anything? I add around 20 grams to my Wazy Maize Starch shake and never have a problem. It’s of course in about 75 grams of carbs with 32 oz water so it’s fairly dilluted, but that sort of combination works well for me.

People who are taking them between meals would likely benefit from a capping machine. [/quote]

I only add the powders to my PWO, it’s the only way I can stomach it (that way it just tastes bad instead of setting off my gag reflex). Other than that it’s BCAA tabs all the way. I don’t know if capping kits would work for the Leucine though, it’s like fairy dust.

BTW, is that waxy maize stuff any good?

I like it a LOT.

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
Would it be better to take just the BCAA or the L-Leucine, or mix them both. I know L-Leucine is in the BCAA chain, but you can also get the L-Leucine by itself. [/quote]

Wait I thought you said you couln’t learn anything more from these boards and the middle aged men on them?

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Jacked Diesel wrote:
Would it be better to take just the BCAA or the L-Leucine, or mix them both. I know L-Leucine is in the BCAA chain, but you can also get the L-Leucine by itself.

Wait I thought you said you couln’t learn anything more from these boards and the middle aged men on them?[/quote]

i can’t.

and BCAA and Leucine can’t taste worse than powdered CEE Creatine.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
I like it a LOT. [/quote]

Scott,

I know we’ve talked about this before and you said you were getting your WM, but how much do you order and what flavor? Im just wondering for mixing purposes. Also, are you buying your BCAA’s there, too? Thanks, man.

-Revo

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Jacked Diesel wrote:

Wait I thought you said you couln’t learn anything more from these boards and the middle aged men on them?[/quote]

lol

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Jacked Diesel wrote:

Really, to be fair, Scott is like 20.

Oh yeah, JD, you dont like me anymore? I WANT TO BE COOL TOO!!

so, no one is in clemson, like, at all, and the only reason I am staying here is to use the gym. I seriously feel like will smith in I am Legend. Haven’t seen a hot piece of ass in like 2 weeks.

Haven’t seen a hot piece of ass in like 2 weeks.[/quote]

That kind of reminds me of the time I went to Columbia for a weekend…

[quote]Scott M wrote:
I like it a LOT. [/quote]

Second this. I'm really liking it too Scott.

Also second the comments about just mixing the bcaa’s with crystal light. Works perfect. I just add enough to mask it which works out to a not too sweet taste, but a great mask to them. Otherwise like Scott and other said, the pwo shake is perfect at that time. I always just toss it in the crystal light, and just whisk the dogfuck out of it, and then leave a spoon in there and give it a quick stir every sip…

The powder works great for me, the price can't be touched when comparing to caps. Otherwise if someone is just completely against it, then get a capping machine like previously mentioned. Either way the powder is the way to go unless you're loaded with cash.

TBN

Haven’t seen a hot piece of ass in like 2 weeks.[/quote]

I haven’t been gone that long

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

Really, to be fair, Scott is like 20.

!![/quote]

Whoah don’t blow up my spot here man. How am I supposed to get MILF’s if they know I’m that young. I have the gift of beard and it gives me at least a 23-25 year old look.