BCAAs vs. EAAs: Effectiveness, Dosage?

Just wondering about BCAAs vs. EAAs - It seems to me through reading a number of articles that BCAAs may not be the most effective supplement and that EAAs might be better. I am focusing on muscle recovery and growth. I am wondering if anyone knows of any real studies or anything to back this up, as I have been going by articles and forum comments that I have read.

Also, it seems to me that a lot of EAAs come in capsule format and most BCAAs in powder. For the EAAs I assume taking right before a workout is the way to go? Also dosage, for BCAAs it seems that 10 grams is about the sweet spot, but for capsules that are 1700-1800mg the prescribed dosage is 2 capsules, 1-2 times a day. That is a lot less than 10 grams, especially if only taken once a day.

Anyway, I am looking for some advice on these types of supplements, any information is very much appreciated!

I personally take 3g leucine just before eat meal and straight after training (along with electrolytes/creatine etc) 15-30 minutes before I eat…

Just thought I would follow up on this topic in case anyone is interested. I decided to go with BCAAs and the product that I purchased has the following ingredients/quantities per scoop:

12:1:1 BCAA Blend 8.75 g
L-Leucine 7,500 mg
L-Valine 625 mg
L-Isoleucine 625 mg
L-Glutamine 2,500 mg
AstraginTM/MC 50 mg

So far what I have found after a few uses is that I don’t necessarily feel more energized during my workouts but I do feel way better after. It was actually very noticeable and I am pretty stoked about that as I am an older lifter(44) and have been doing CrossFit so I have been ‘feeling the pain’ a lot lately. I am really surprised how quickly I noticed this as I have never used a supplement before that had this much effect so soon…

Personally I would have went with an Eaa product or something that uses hydrolysed casein (peptopro) due to the greater impact on MPS. Of course Bcaa’s are necessary to induce MPS but these are found in Eaa drinks (due to being just 3 of the 9 essential amino acids)

Also hasn’t there been a recent study (I don’t have the link to hand) that pretty much shows supplementing with just Bcaa’s has no impact on body composition or has no effect on muscle retention when dieting? I could be wrong.

I’d have went with something like Plazma for pre/intra workout (calories permitting) or Mag-10 for post workout, you’d probably get more bang for your money

Aaron