BCAA's Replacing Meals?

With that said BCAAs still do not even come close to being a meal substitute.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
gi2eg wrote:
playmaker08 wrote:
Maybe i am missing something, but I am staring at Biotest’s BCAA formula and do not see any calories or protein…

Yes, you are missing something. amino acids are protein.

No, I think YOU are missing something.

There are 20 amino acids in protein. Which leaves the “protein” in Biotest’s BCAA’s 17 short.

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Amino’s are linked together and called peptides. It’s the various linking of peptides that form a protein.
[/quote]

jdrannin1 dropin knowledge up in this bitch.

Feel free to debate me as I don’t have a strong biological background and I’ll learn whether I’m right or wrong in the end, but collagen (such as gelatin) is also an incomplete protein. Its protein amount are counted in nutrition labels for food containing them, particularly cheap meal-replacement bars. I’m interested in how BCAA’s are any different, other than that they are better assimilated by the body.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Feel free to debate me as I don’t have a strong biological background and I’ll learn whether I’m right or wrong in the end, but collagen (such as gelatin) is also an incomplete protein. Its protein amount are counted in nutrition labels for food containing them, particularly cheap meal-replacement bars. I’m interested in how BCAA’s are any different, other than that they are better assimilated by the body.[/quote]

That is a very good question and I think it has to do with the FDA and its labelling laws. These are “dietary supplements” after all and not technically real food. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I’ll see if I can find anything on that.

putting BCAA’s aside. i think it woulld be much better to make a protein shake containing your vegtables protein and fats and store them in a cooler. takes minutes to prepare, and it will be easy to estimate calorie content.
just because your cutting you still need your 6 meals a day, especially if you are looking NOT to lose muscle.

and to reiterate what other posters have said; mixed nuts and smalls snacks can also be very useful.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Well, we’re on the verge of arguing semantics here, but branched chain amino acids can be degraded into Acetyl CoA and Succinyl CoA/Propionyl CoA, which can be used to produce ketones and glucose, respectively. They supply calories.

[/quote]

You know, for those who missed it the first time.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
NewDamage wrote:
Well, we’re on the verge of arguing semantics here, but branched chain amino acids can be degraded into Acetyl CoA and Succinyl CoA/Propionyl CoA, which can be used to produce ketones and glucose, respectively. They supply calories.

You know, for those who missed it the first time.[/quote]

I dont see an arguement anywhere in this thread.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
NewDamage wrote:

You know, for those who missed it the first time.[/quote]

You say BCAAs can be broken down; I’m assuming this only happens under a fasting/catabolic situation.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
NewDamage wrote:
NewDamage wrote:

You know, for those who missed it the first time.

You say BCAAs can be broken down; I’m assuming this only happens under a fasting/catabolic situation.[/quote]

It will happen under both fasting conditions or non-fasting conditions, whenever the amino acids aren’t needed or cannot be used for the synthesis of new protein (Such as when you’re eating more than your body can utilize to build muscle, and excess is converted into glucose and glycogen or fatty acids, for storage.)

But, your body is using all the macronutrients for both synthesis and energy production at all times of the day, in varying amounts. Your diet will also play a part in determining the primary fuel your body uses as well, which is why you don’t typically want reduce both of your energetic nutrients (fat and carbs) too low at the same time, leaving protein as the main source of energy.

makes sense, I think we have more than answered the topic creators question at this point