BCAA's: Let's Get Realistic!

I mega dose my bcaa getting around 30-40g pre/peri/post workout. I continue to make improvements and muscle gains, all while not letting my bodyfat get out of hand.

DG

I love my BCAA’s and highly recommend mega dosing(30-40g around training), especially during dieting.

GJ

[quote]Gymjunkie wrote:
I love my BCAA’s and highly recommend mega dosing(30-40g around training), especially during dieting.

GJ[/quote]

x2- makes a big difference to my recovery and lessens soreness

[quote]G87 wrote:
AllTraps wrote:
Anyone who wants a serious understanding on protein intake, bcaa’s and protein in general should read The Protein Book by Lyle McDonald. Answers a lot myths and all the questions posted here. Worth the $50.

Unfortunately, I live in Russia so the book would be more expensive for me to get and wouldn’t get here until some time into my bulk. I appreciate your advice, but could you give some more substantial information on the topic, if you’ve read the book?[/quote]

Basically the short of it is unless you’re doing endurance based training which causes a muscular release of BCAA’s and alanine (and somewhat glutamine) beyond what’s typically taken in by the average lifter’s protein intake, BCAA’s will have little to no extra benefit unless taken in massive doses (eg. 40 within pre/peri/post workout). Cost benefit - not worth it.

If you ate a 200g chicken breast 2 hours prior to your workout that’s about 50g of protein, of which ~15% is BCAA, with a digestion rate of about 6 hours. Say you had Biotest Surge pre workout (as you should) and Biotest Surge again post workout, that’s 50g+ of whey protien at a 25% BCAA content with much quicker digestion rate.

So you’re already looking at anywhere from 15-25g of BCAA’s in your system at time surrounding a workout. You think taking 5-10 more grams is going to make THAT big of a difference…not likely.

Spend the money on something else - like Beta 7 which would allow you to train harder and/or longer, a testosterone booster/optimizer, etc.

I do however agree in the need when seriously dieting for a show.

Now when you guys say 40g it doesnt have to all be from pill or powder right? If you take sure and 20g of bcaa pills then that would still be 45 grams am i right?

[quote]G87 wrote:
Westclock wrote:
Id rather just take a shit load more whey.

Whey contains a fairly high percentage of BCAA’s straight up.

For the same cost you spend on BCAA’s you could step your protien intake to like 400 grams a day.

Isn’t it bad to consume that much whey/day? Authors keep mentioning how most of your protein should come from “proper” food. [/quote]

I get about 250 grams a day from solid food.

My whey consumption is 50 before, 50 after workout.

Therefor total consumption is 350 grams.