BCAAs and Vitamin B-6

So I am taking ZMA along with BCAAs that are not from Biotest. Each contains around 500% “daily value.” My question is if you can have too much vitamin B-6 and what effects it may have.

Or is it like vitamin E and the excess is just passed through the body with no ill-effects.

Thank you

it’s been a while since reading about toxic dosing on b vitamins but i believe it is harmful to your nervous system

dosing in the 500% range is not a problem. ADEK are the fat solube vits, so being water soluble means it is, as you say, go to simply pass thru

well if i took one serving of each once a day it would be around 1000%

[quote]bdadam01 wrote:
So I am taking ZMA along with BCAAs that are not from Biotest. Each contains around 500% “daily value.” My question is if you can have too much vitamin B-6 and what effects it may have.

Or is it like vitamin E and the excess is just passed through the body with no ill-effects.

Thank you[/quote]

How’s ZMA working for you. im interested because lately i’ve been having problems falling alseep.

If you take several hundred mg B6 /day it can mess with your nerves. I’ve never noticed this at up to 300mg, but I imagine that there is some dose at which I’d get that side effect.

Btw, supposedly active B6 formulations composed of P5P or pyridoxamine are less likely to cause this.

ZMA has worked great for me, especially falling asleep. I’ll take it 30-60 minutes before i go to bed on an empty stomach and it never fails that im passed out withing 5-10 minutes of hitting that pillow.

Well the ZMA has pyridoxine HCL (not sure if this is the same or different that pyridoxamine) as b-6 and 10.5 mg is 525%. The BCAAs im taking use the same b-6 source at 9 mg at 450% per serving.

Did you mean 300mg or 30mg?

Also, what sorts of “side effects” could b-6 cause?

The B vitamins are water soluble.

I wouldn’t worry too much about overdosing.

im pretty sure most vitamin e is not water soluble and can create problems

Ok sounds good.

Maybe certain sources of vitamin e are. I was just referring to a recovery shake with 400IU at 1330% derrived from vitamin e acetate, which is a very powerful anti-oxidant and comes in a powdered form.