BCAA Timing

Hi Folks,

If cost is a limiting factor as to how much BCAAs I can take…Would it be better to ingest more in my peri-workout time and little to none on non-training days or space it out more evenly throughout the week.

Thoughts and reasons?

Thanks

-DT

To keep it to a bare minimum regarding extending their use using them around training would be most beneficial. If you can spare some more, I would suggest using them right at waking to help break any catabolic effect from your fast during sleep and right at bedtime as well. Regarding training time I like to blast around eight back with a couple of BETA-7 right before my lifting session and then blast a like amount down with my Surge right after the workout.

D

BCAAs are most cost effective when used peri-workout, so I’d stick to using them if cost is a factor.

For me it’s usually 10 Biotest BCAA tablets before training. If it’s a really tough workout, or if I’m just feeling worn out, I’ll down another 10 tablets afterward with my Surge.

The powder isn’t worth the hassle to me and no matter what you do to it it still tastes nasty.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
BCAAs are most cost effective when used peri-workout, so I’d stick to using them if cost is a factor.

For me it’s usually 10 Biotest BCAA tablets before training. If it’s a really tough workout, or if I’m just feeling worn out, I’ll down another 10 tablets afterward with my Surge.

The powder isn’t worth the hassle to me and no matter what you do to it it still tastes nasty.

[/quote]

Agreed my friend agreed, regarding the powder.

D

I’ve read various authors on T-Nation suggest a minimum of 20g BCAA peri-workout… any less and there’s no point.

I take 8 Biotest BCAA tabs before and after my workout with an additional 30g of powder mixed in water sipped throughout my workout. Seems to work well for me.

[quote]bb77 wrote:
I’ve read various authors on T-Nation suggest a minimum of 20g BCAA peri-workout… any less and there’s no point.

[/quote]

I’m not disputing the 20g number per se. But how can there be an exact number needed (or a minimum) without taking bodyweight and/or lean body mass into account?

It’s protein, after all, and protein requirements are correlated with bodyweight and type of athlete.

I wonder if there is a better way to calculate BCAA requirements.

Also, Dave Barr suggested that if you take them peri-workout, they won’t be available until after the workout…just how fast do BCAA’s get into the bloodstream? And is a sugary drink required for transport?

[quote]FatPixelStudios wrote:

I’m not disputing the 20g number per se. But how can there be an exact number needed (or a minimum) without taking bodyweight and/or lean body mass into account?

It’s protein, after all, and protein requirements are correlated with bodyweight and type of athlete.

I wonder if there is a better way to calculate BCAA requirements.

Also, Dave Barr suggested that if you take them peri-workout, they won’t be available until after the workout…just how fast do BCAA’s get into the bloodstream? And is a sugary drink required for transport?[/quote]

Poliquin recommends 0.44g/kg of bodyweight and CT has similar recommendations (See his thread in the Author’s Locker Room).

I was under the impression BCAA’s were absorbed rapidly (cause of the L-Leucine), so if you take say 10g 10-20min before your workout, they’ll be in your bloodstream before your workout.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:The powder isn’t worth the hassle to me and no matter what you do to it it still tastes nasty.
[/quote]

To me, drinking my 15-20g during my workout is easier (if not as easy) than swallowing 20 caplets, especially since you’re probably already drinking water during your workout- but to each his own. Have you tried mixing it with flavored powders? I can’t stand the taste of plain BCAAs in water, but with another drink mix in there I can’t taste them at all surprisingly.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
HK24719 wrote:The powder isn’t worth the hassle to me and no matter what you do to it it still tastes nasty.

To me, drinking my 15-20g during my workout is easier (if not as easy) than swallowing 20 caplets, especially since you’re probably already drinking water during your workout- but to each his own. Have you tried mixing it with flavored powders? I can’t stand the taste of plain BCAAs in water, but with another drink mix in there I can’t taste them at all surprisingly.[/quote]

I can swallow about 10 Biotest BCAA tablets at a time without water. However, even if it were just 5 at a time I still don’t see the big deal. I just keep the bottle in my gym bag and I’m good to go. No mixing or other hassles.

[quote]bb77 wrote:

Poliquin recommends 0.44g/kg of bodyweight and CT has similar recommendations (See his thread in the Author’s Locker Room).

I was under the impression BCAA’s were absorbed rapidly (cause of the L-Leucine), so if you take say 10g 10-20min before your workout, they’ll be in your bloodstream before your workout.
[/quote]

Very good information. Thanks!

Hot damn that’s a lot of pills for me!!