BCAA Powder

Hi guys,

How do you take your bcaa powder? I’ve tried mixing it with water, but it doesn’t mix and tastes like ass. I’ve also tried orange juice which seems a little better but again doesn’t mix all that well…

Any tips?

Yeah, get caps or tablets. BCAA powder is hydrophobic, so it’s a beatch to mix in water & as you correctly stated, it tastes like ass.

Don’t get the powder again. If you bought tonnes of it, then use it for shakes - all the other powder will help it mix and disguise the taste.

[quote]t-ha wrote:
Yeah, get caps or tablets. BCAA powder is hydrophobic, so it’s a beatch to mix in water & as you correctly stated, it tastes like ass.

Don’t get the powder again. If you bought tonnes of it, then use it for shakes - all the other powder will help it mix and disguise the taste. [/quote]

Thanks for the reply bud.

Yea, i’ve bought 1kg of the damn stuff. It’s A LOT cheaper than caps which is why I bought it. Could afford caps but would get like 1/4 of the amount. Can’t justify it!

It seems ok in orange, might try and mix it with milk later and see how it goes. The taste isn’t bad in orange. More the fact it just doesn’t bloody mix!

Hey, which powder BCAA do you take? Is it good? Hey, I dont care if it tastes like ass (I drink wheatgrass juice…no way BCAA tastes more “assy” than that ), if I’m going to take BCAAs in the amounts Poliquin recommends I’d rather pucker up than disburse my entire bank account!

I got scivation xtend. I mixes pretty good. I usually just mix it with Gatorade and leave in the fridge till my workout.

i bought a kg of powder as well…it tastes so bad with water, in shakes, or even with a sugary post workout creatine, that i started just dumping 5-10g dry into my mouth and washing it down with water. at first i gagged abit, but now i can handle it pretty easily.

[quote]8Man-Jax wrote:
i bought a kg of powder as well…it tastes so bad with water, in shakes, or even with a sugary post workout creatine, that i started just dumping 5-10g dry into my mouth and washing it down with water. at first i gagged abit, but now i can handle it pretty easily.[/quote]

Yea, tried this earlier. Missed my tongue a bit and got it on my lips which took a bit of licking off… haha but overall it didn’t taste too bad. Downed about a pint of water with it too which can’t be all bad!!

I got the powder from here:

Uk, so won’t be any help to any of you guys!! :slight_smile:

From what I know, I think currently only two companies make BCAA powder that has a flavoring system. The Scivation Xtend and Xtreme Formulations Ice.

Ice is pretty good, I use it during and after workout and before and during morning cardio. I’ve seen others on here use it as well.

I imagine the Xtend is fine too.

Anabolic Innovations make sme flavored stuff too. No idea on the taste though…

http://www.anabolicinnovatios.com

Ethos- just throw a small amount of chrystal light in the bcaa powder and it disguises the taste big time. You don’t need a lot of chrystal light though.

Actually the solubility in water is not so bad; rather the “wetting” properties of the powder make the dissolving difficult. A short time in a blender on high can dissolve about 25 g in a quart, no problem. Taste is bad of course.

It’s also perfectly satisfactory to add some BCAA powder to Surge. Either blend BCAA’s and water first then add the Surge powder, or mix the Surge by hand and add the BCAA powder and shake, not getting dissolution this way but that seems to be OK.

Surge covers the taste of added BCAA’s pretty well. Added ribose by the way will also help mask.

It seems that a bunch of the BCAA’s on the market are garbage. Do you have any support for Scivation Xtend or Xtreme Formulations Ice that you can lend?

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
From what I know, I think currently only two companies make BCAA powder that has a flavoring system. The Scivation Xtend and Xtreme Formulations Ice.

Ice is pretty good, I use it during and after workout and before and during morning cardio. I’ve seen others on here use it as well.

I imagine the Xtend is fine too.[/quote]

[quote]terribleivan wrote:
It seems that a bunch of the BCAA’s on the market are garbage. Do you have any support for Scivation Xtend or Xtreme Formulations Ice that you can lend?

greekdawg wrote:

[/quote]

Like I said I did some research and I’ve only heard of two companies that make powders. I never heard of that third one the other poster said. Poliquin and Serrano used to reccomend Glutacene by Advanced Genetics but I’m pretty sure they went out of business. So again, the two main brands I know about are Ice and Extend.

Xtreme has been around forever and I’ve seen quite a few coaches on here and posters talk about it and reccomend them and their products. So Igot a few tubs. The taste is fine. I would reccomend it. I don’t know much about Xtend or Scivation at all.

I wish Biotest would make a flavored powder then I wont have to worry. I dont want to take 30-50 pills during a workout or before cardio whhich is when I mainly use BCAA powders

I’ve just started scooping 3-5g into my mouth and washing it down with shit loads of water. That way I know non is going to waste and it’s not THAT bad too do. Can’t taste it for very long!

Taking it:

3-5g in the morning,
3-5g between breakfast / lunch
3-5g between lunch / dinner
3-5g before bed

On training days I’m taking 5g before and 10g afer training.

Hoping to see some benefits and it’s certainly not cheap.

I’ve got the myprotein stuff as well. I also bought the BSL flavouring system and mix it with that, water and creatine (or to Surge).

You can buy a capping kit if you want to save money and can’t stand the taste.

[quote]VorteX wrote:
I’ve got the myprotein stuff as well. I also bought the BSL flavouring system and mix it with that, water and creatine (or to Surge).

You can buy a capping kit if you want to save money and can’t stand the taste.[/quote]

I was thinking about getting the capping kit, but I think I can just about handle the powder in mouth trick!

If you price match with www.bulkpowders.co.uk you can get 1kg of bcaa for ?35.99- very cheap!

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
terribleivan wrote:

greekdawg wrote:

Like I said I did some research and I’ve only heard of two companies that make powders. I never heard of that third one the other poster said. Poliquin and Serrano used to reccomend Glutacene by Advanced Genetics but I’m pretty sure they went out of business. So again, the two main brands I know about are Ice and Extend.

Xtreme has been around forever and I’ve seen quite a few coaches on here and posters talk about it and reccomend them and their products. So Igot a few tubs. The taste is fine. I would reccomend it. I don’t know much about Xtend or Scivation at all.

I wish Biotest would make a flavored powder then I wont have to worry. I dont want to take 30-50 pills during a workout or before cardio whhich is when I mainly use BCAA powders[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I’ve tried Scitec BCAA and am not sold on it. I knew Universal made a product and it is probably pretty decent. I’ll probably give these 2 a try and see if I there is any noticeable strengh or recovery increases.

And, I agree, Biotest should make a powder - the Biotest tabs are very well priced and I think they’d make a killing on a good powder.

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:
I got scivation xtend. I mixes pretty good. I usually just mix it with Gatorade and leave in the fridge till my workout.

[/quote]

Extend rocks! Buy the lemonade it tastes like cool aid and when mixed with vanilla protein powder it tastes like key lime pie. The grape tastes like medicine.

[quote]ethos wrote:
VorteX wrote:

You can buy a capping kit if you want to save money and can’t stand the taste.

I was thinking about getting the capping kit, but I think I can just about handle the powder in mouth trick!

If you price match with www.bulkpowders.co.uk you can get 1kg of bcaa for ?35.99- very cheap!

[/quote]

Actually, I think mine is bulk powders, I can’t remember because I use both sites. I would definitely have gone for the cheapest though!

They also do hydrolyzed whey on myprotein now which is good news!

[quote]terribleivan wrote:
And, I agree, Biotest should make a powder - the Biotest tabs are very well priced and I think they’d make a killing on a good powder.[/quote]

The Superior Nutraceuticals product is a perfectly good one, really no way to beat it in quality for a straight BCAA powder product, and it is only $34.99. We couldn’t beat that price and if I’m correct that there’s no room to beat the quality either, then there’s not much point.