T Nation

BCAA and Whey During Cutting Phase

I was wondering is it worth taking BCAA and whey protein under the following circumstances:

• during a cutting phase
  • eating less than 3000 calories a day (I’ve been told to put on muscle you really need to be consuming 3000+ calories)

Yes, BCAA are excellent.

Keeping your protein intake higher on a cut should be a priority in order to preserve muscle.

As for 3000kcal, well it depends how much you currently weigh.

I’m currently 151 pounds, aged 34, 16% bf at 166 cm height.

At least you’re not 6’ at that weight.

What are your goals? Why do you want to cut down?

No, I a short, stocky (now less so with recent weight/fat loss). I’m not sure what my body weight should be - at a lower bf that is.

My goals are to try to get to 12% bf. If I get to 12 I would like to aim for 10%. During that I would like maintain as much of my muscle/strength as possible.

Once I get get to that I want to build up strength for running. I noticed a massaive improvement in running with my strength gains and fat loss over the last year. Also want strength gains as I’ve gotten addict to weight lifting and I want to see how far I can go. Will develop specific goals in this area once I have the body fat down.

My training workout details are at: http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2410069

Ok, so what exactly do you want from us?

When you are cutting it IS a good idea to have whey and BCAA in your diet.

In fact; it is when cutting that you notice the most from BCAA, IMO.

Having the majority of your BCAA at night AND around your workout is the most important I’d think.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Ok, so what exactly do you want from us?[/quote]

A blumpkin?

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Ok, so what exactly do you want from us?[/quote]

Well I think you’ve answered my question about taking BCAA/Whey - that I should take it even if I’m cutting or not eating large volume of calories. I was not sure how much of a difference it would make under the circumstances I mentioned in my 1st post. Much appreciate.

I’ll start looking for good brand of whey and BCAA.

I’ll start to figure out how many calories I’ll need to take on (in few months) after I’ve lost as much bf as I can and maintained that for a month or two.

[quote]pheneghan wrote:

.[/quote]

Good brand? Check the store on this site. Free shipping too.

[quote]jdarkraget wrote:
pheneghan wrote:

Good brand? Check the store on this site. Free shipping too.[/quote]

Agree, the protein sold here is great.

I prefer powdered BCAAs though.

sorry for a highjack but i wanted to ask something.

Since BCAA’s raise insulin, is it counterproductive to take them on the AD? (As there is more FFA’s around and insulin is indiscriminate in what it stores)

Also, i was thinking of taking them while on vacation as insurance against protein shortfalls? any thoughts on the insulin spikes there?

[quote]Evil1 wrote:
sorry for a highjack but i wanted to ask something.

Since BCAA’s raise insulin, is it counterproductive to take them on the AD? (As there is more FFA’s around and insulin is indiscriminate in what it stores)

Also, i was thinking of taking them while on vacation as insurance against protein shortfalls? any thoughts on the insulin spikes there?[/quote]

What does AD stand for? I have seen it a lot. I think I know what you mean though. Because of the insulin system, I take BCAA’s on an empty stomach when cutting or with food when bulking.

AD stands for Anabolic Diet. Its pretty much a KETO Diet, of Protein and Fats… And a few days of Up’d Carb intake. I Think those carb up days, will hinder your fat loss more than a few BCAAS.

Also i’d like to point out that after a work out. When your body is burning up glycogen (or ketones for AD). Without an insulin spike, your body would prolly end up burning muscle as well (especially when Cutting…). I don’t see a reason why an insulin spike after a workout from Proteins is such a bad thing.

The thing is, When on a Keto Diet. you are pretty much burning fat 24-7. On an Anabolic diet, your state of ketosis will be thrown off when you have your carb up. Maybe for atleast 3-4 or even 1 week.

Btw Evil1, you are on the pure AD rite? where you have carb ups? Or are you on a TKD (which is not even really keto).

The protein powder here is great.

I prefer xtend for BCAAs during workouts. It taste great and I sip it through my workouts.

The Biotest BCAA tablets are great for in between meals or at night.