T Nation

BBS or Beyond 5/3/1 for Strength?

Like the title says which one would be better for strength gains? I generally like training 3 days per week and training the lifts more than once a week, therefore I was leaning more towards the Beyond template from this site.

What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with either of these 2 templates and had good results?

You are suffering from Sophie’s Choice Syndrome. Do them both. Six week cycles of both. Evaluate.

You cannot get weaker if you use simple principles and common sense. Here’s an example of horrible common sense:

"Dear Jim,

I train 90 times a week and want to run up Mt Everest. I also want to squat 8000 but I only eat the husks of corn. I feel weak and awful. I cannot figure out why because my mom fed me toenails and never breast fed me. Please help."

OK Jim, fair call!

Cheers for the advice.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
"Dear Jim,

I train 90 times a week and want to run up Mt Everest. I also want to squat 8000 but I only eat the husks of corn. I feel weak and awful. I cannot figure out why because my mom fed me toenails and never breast fed me. Please help."

[/quote]
Hell yeah, mr. Wendler! That is an awesome quote for front page of your next book. :slight_smile:

If i were you I would start off with the beyond template and use one of the full body setups…after you get a feel for the program after several cycles you will get more specific on your overall goals. In that case there are a variety of templates for different goals. You have BBB when you want to add a lot of muscle mass.

You have the triumverate when you just need simplicity. When you get more advanced you may want to shock boost one of your lifts with the boring but strong challenge…etc…etc…The point is 5/3/1 is very adaptable and as long as you keep to the principles Jim talks about you have the hallmark of a good program for life…hope that helps