BBB Leader and Anchor Critique?

How does this routine look?

2 Leaders:
Monday: 5s Pro Squat with 5 by 10 deadlift at FSL weight, Assistance: Curls, Pushdowns, Abs
Tuesday : 5s Pro Bench with 5 by 10 Press at FSL weight, Assistance: Dips, Chins, Face Pulls
Thursday : 5s Pro Deadlift with 5 by 10 squat at FSL weight, Assistance: Curls, Pushdowns, Abs
Friday : 5s Pro Press with 5 by 10 bench at FSL weight, Assistance: Dips, Chins, Face Pulls

7th week Deload

1 Anchor using 3/5/1:
Monday : Squat with PR set followed by 5 by 5 FSL with squat, Assistance: Curls, Pushdowns, Abs
Tuesday : Bench with PR set followed by 5 by 5 FSL with bench, Assistance: Dips, Chins, Face Pulls
Thursday : Deadlift with PR set followed by 5 by 5 FSL with deadlift, Assistance: Curls, Pushdowns, Abs
Friday : Press with PR set followed by 5 by 5 FSL with press, Assistance: Dips, Chins, Face Pulls

7th week protocol TM Test

Repeat

All accessories will be 5 sets of 10. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!

Have you done BBB before? If you haven’t, I would recommend starting with 3 sets of 10 assistance and add a set each week if you feel you can. Otherwise looks pretty damn good.

I have only run the classic 5/3/1 with PR sets and Jokers before, not BBB, so thank you for the advise. I am really going back and forth about whether or not I want to do the main work with one lift and the supplemental work with the opposite lift, like I have listed. I have read Forever, and I know that with all of Jim’s trainees he has them use the main and supplement work on the same day. One day, one focus. I know everyone says to do the programs as written, however, he also does mention in the Forever (under the original 5/3/1 bbb) on page 50) that you can do the main work with one lift and the supplemental work with another. I just feel strange benching once a week, as I feel I would be better with higher frequency on that movement. Any thoughts on this? Thank you!

I’d do it as written. It saves time and keeps you focused on just one thing. I tried it the other way and struggled a lot, then when I did main and supplemental with the same lift it went very well.

Jim has stated (in Beyond, I think), that you can flip the movements if it helps make it slightly less boring. I’ve tried both and never found it helped much. If I were to rerun it now, I’d use the original order.

I too have tried it both ways.

I think doing them both the same day is better for a training effect. But alternating the lift better ensures you will be able to complete the supplemental portion. And also obviously makes it a little less boring.

You could always just do dumbell bench in place of your pushdowns on Pressing day. Not exactly the same a barbell, but the variation would have carryover.

If your concern is that you need more practice doing bench press for technical reasons, you probably shouldn’t be doing BBB.

1 Like