BBB - Becoming Big Ben

Decided to start a log, currently on the second week of my first ramp on Big Beyond Belief. All my weights will be logged in kg. Still getting used to the rep ranges and trying to find working weights that land in the right brackets.

Today’s workout, day 2 of week 2:

Laterals: 14x11 12x15 12x15 12x14
Wt.Dips: 40x13 35x11 25x13 20x12
Lying Leg Curl: 65x15
Leg Press: 200x13 180x11 160x15
Cable Crunch: 70x15x4

Day 3 Week 2 Ramp 1

90 seconds rest between sets.

Incline DB Press: 38x10 36x9 34x10 32.5x8
Barbell Row: 110x10 100x10 100x10 100x9
Barbell Shrug: 100x20
Alt.DB Curl: 24x8 22x10 20x9 20x9
Standing Calf Raise Machine: 290x12x4

Damn it’s hard doing chest pressing the day after training delts and tris, I hope I will adjust and my weights will come back up soon.

In other news, I have gotten esophagitis, which sucks… may have to take a day off to do minor surgery soon.

Day 4 Week 2 Ramp 1

90 sec rest

Laterals: 16x13 16x11 16x10 16x9
Lying tri ext: 50x7 40x12 40x11 40x9
Squat: 120x10 110x8
Leg ext: stack x 12 x 2

Had to cut this workout short because my lower esophageal valve and esophagus are so inflamed and hurting. Felt like it was going to burst from squatting, lol. Finished off with some leg extensions. Still waiting to get that health issue fixed. Growing old sucks, kids, don’t do it.

Day 5 Week 2 Ramp 1

90 sec rest

Close Neutral Grip Pulldown: 80x12 80x11 80x10 80x9
Low Incline Bench: 82.5x9 80x9 80x9 80x7
Barbell Curl: 50x9 47.5x10 45x11 45x9
Seated Calf Raise: 70x12 70x12 70x12 70x10

Day 6 Week 2 Ramp 1

Seated DB Press: 34x10 34x8 32x7 30x8
Pin Press(2 inches off chest): 80x8x4
Lying Leg Curl: 80x8 70x9
Sumo Deadlift: 170x12 170x8
Ab Wheel: 1x30

Damn this program is hard on the delts and tris. I could barely move my arms when it came time for pin presses. I hope the coming supergrowth phase will deliver some good strength gains.

In for this. I love Big Beyond Belief. Running a modified version right now, and will hop on the original version as soon as I’m done with this ‘training phase’.

Hey Spidey, glad to see you in here. Will definitely follow your log!

Did you run through the entire thing before? What was your favorite ramp sg?

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
Hey Spidey, glad to see you in here. Will definitely follow your log!

Did you run through the entire thing before? What was your favorite ramp sg?[/quote]

I ran it all the way through the first and second ramp, but then injured my shoulder. However, I was just learning how to lift then, so form and exercise selection added with the crazy frequency of Ramp 2 lead to the injury.

Since then I’ve ran Ramp 1 + SG 1 multiple times, though I’ve tweaked it a bit to my liking, through trying it out, researching, and actually working with Phil Hernon for a bit (the guy whose routine BBB is basically built upon).

Definitely think I’ll give the entire program a run through this time though, just want to milk a week or two of my Training/SG phase, do the prep phase for CBL (sucks but a necessary evil) and then run it. Though I REALLY like the simplicity of the 1st SG, so may just stick with that after each Ramp.

Curious, mind going into what your diet looks like? I know you just did an impressive cut, what is the strategy from here on out (mentioned CBL in my log, obviously)

I worked with Hernon for a while myself, I made some good gains on his 3-way split. However I don’t agree with his approach any more, he tries to make training juuust a little too simple. Great if you have genetics that allow everything to grow equally, but for me I definitely need to train rear delts, traps, and upper chest directly.

SG1 seems to make the most sense for sure… I’m really curious to see how I’ll do on ramp 2, when training legs every day. With smart exercise selection, I think it will be fine. I notice there is no direct shoulder work, so I’m going to do a set of laterals every day to failure (on my lunch break). Did that for biceps at one point, and it worked well.

My diet… well I get most of my protein from cottage cheese, yogurt, protein powder, and fish. Some lean ground beef… my carbs mostly from rice and fruit. Fat I don’t really think about, I know I’m getting more than enough though. PWO I will slam a shake and some simple carbs, usually rice cakes or low fat ice cream. I try to stick mostly to “clean” foods, but I’ll also chow down on tacos, pizza or whatever comes my way.

I just don’t go out of my way to get those kinds of foods, make sense? I need to put on 20 lbs of lean mass, so I’m not shy about eating. When I see bodybuilders that have the patience to count every gram and eat what’s basically a pre-contest diet year round, I don’t know whether to be impressed or disgusted… I’d rather take the extra fat gain (without overdoing it to the point where my hormones tank).

Will do the fat adaptation phase and get into CBL for sure, I need to put the breaks on a little bit, so backloading will be perfect for that. Don’t want to get too fat too soon. lol

Btw, I remember DH saying that he thinks it is fine to use SG 1 after every ramp.

Ramp 1 Week 3 Day 1

T-bar Row: 90x16 90x13 85x13 80x13 75x15
Incline Barbell: 80x12 75x13 75x10 70x9 60x15
Pinwheel Curl: 30x15 26x13 24x14 24x13 24x13
Standing Machine Calf Raise: 290x15 290x15 290x14 290x15 290x13

Some wrist curls, face pulls, and neck exercises done in between sets… I usually superset calf and ab work with face pulls or some such.

Added 10kg and 1 rep to my T-bar row from last week, but incline and flat barbell pressing are still the banes of my existence. I can get up to decent weight on declines, dips, and flat DB presses, but incline and flat BB are always a struggle. However, will stick to them on this bulk, as I really want to get to a 100kg x10 incline.

Yeah I had similar experience with Hernon. Also, his diet just did not work for me. Probably works well for getting lean, but not for someone trying to put on a lot of size. I did learn things from him, though.

I think I’m kind of tired of worrying about counting grams as well, and will likely not do much more then just weigh my meat and stuff to make sure I’m hitting protein, at least over the summer. I did that with CBL before and got good results.

Haha it also seems we are similar with pressing. I’m pretty good at Decline and DB’s (when I concentrate on them), but flat and Incline are tedious progress wise. Still, I feel I should be benching 315 for a few before I throw out Flat Bench all together.

When do you think you’ll be doing the prep phase for CBL? During BBB?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Yeah I had similar experience with Hernon. Also, his diet just did not work for me. Probably works well for getting lean, but not for someone trying to put on a lot of size. I did learn things from him, though.

I think I’m kind of tired of worrying about counting grams as well, and will likely not do much more then just weigh my meat and stuff to make sure I’m hitting protein, at least over the summer. I did that with CBL before and got good results.

Haha it also seems we are similar with pressing. I’m pretty good at Decline and DB’s (when I concentrate on them), but flat and Incline are tedious progress wise. Still, I feel I should be benching 315 for a few before I throw out Flat Bench all together.

When do you think you’ll be doing the prep phase for CBL? During BBB?[/quote]

I’ll race you to 315 :slight_smile: I haven’t benched flat for a long time, will start this week.

I think I’ll do the prep phase for CBL on the tail end of supergrowth 1, before I start ramp 2. I’m having some pretty severe issues with digestion, especially from casein. For now I’m just trying to find some foods that work. I don’t count grams in the off-season… eat to satisfy hunger, imo.

Well, I’ve been in more or less constant pain the last couple of days, something is seriously fucked up with my digestion/esophagitis/whatever is going on. I have missed 2 days of training.

I’m thinking of switching to the 4-way for a while, I’m on a waiting list at the hospital to get this thing checked out. In the meantime, I have to be very careful to eat small.

Did you smooth out and lose strength on the ramps, spidey?

I’m thinking about doing this for my first SG phase, and to carb cycle along with it. Gaining fat too fast in relation to strength gains, and with the digestion issues going on as well… what do you think?

Tuesday: 10-12 reps, 180 seconds rest

Back: T-bar Row(3)
Chest: Incline Bench Press(3)
Biceps: Preacher Curl(3)
Calves: Standing Calf(3)

Wednesday: 10-12 reps, 180 seconds rest

Delts: Seated Dumbbell Press(3)
Triceps: Dead Stop Extensions(3)
Thighs: Squat(3)
Abs: Roman Chair(3)

Friday: 8-10 reps, 180 seconds rest

Back: Barbell Row(3)
Chest: Incline DB Press(3)
Thighs: Front Squat(3)
Delts: Lateral Raise(1)
Calves: Seated Calf(2)
Biceps: Pinwheel Curls(1)
Triceps: Tate Press(1)

Saturday: 5-7 reps, 180 seconds rest

Thighs: Sumo Deadlift(3)
Chest: Bench Press(3)
Back: Neutral Grip Pullups(3)
Delts: Push Press(1)
Triceps: Dips(1)
Biceps: Barbell Curl(1)

Sorry about your health issues bud, hope it gets sorted out.

The last half of the 3rd week of any ramp, I struggle to maintain reps and feel ‘weaker’, and usually feel that way the first week of SG, though that’s the ‘point’ I guess.

So I’m confused, at you using a 4 day SG phase but you were doing the 6 day Ramp? The workouts look good, the only thing I would change (and I assume this is personal preference), I like to only pick 2 lifts per body part, and just rotate them through. So I have 4 days, and literally just rotate them through the rep ranges (on the 6 day ramp at least). So like I’ll Bench 3x in about a 1.5 week. I like the ‘frequency’ of doing the same lift multiple times in a small time frame, just in different rep ranges. So for me, like I’d do push presses on both Wed and Sat. Same for Squats. But some people progress better doing more variation, so I don’t think my way is ‘right’ or anything, though it is how MODOK kind of did it I believe.

Yes I was using the 6way for my ramp, but ramp week 3 is a wash due to the health issues. Learning how to handle it now, but I have to reduce calories. That’s why I’m thinking of going to the 4 way… I take it you’ve tried the 4 way then? I think I’ll take your advice in part, and do flat bench on both wed and sat… I’d like to keep my db presses for shoulders though :slight_smile:

So you’d like this setup better? I’ve been thinking about trying some partial range overload stuff for my squat, and I hate front squatting anyway. This setup has mostly the same exercises for all the days…

Tuesday: 10-12 reps, 180 seconds rest

Biceps: Barbell Curl(3)
Calves: Standing Calf(3)

Wednesday: 10-12 reps, 180 seconds rest

Delts: Seated Dumbbell Press(3)
Triceps: Dips(3)
Thighs: Squat(3)
Abs: Roman Chair(3)

Friday: 8-10 reps, 180 seconds rest

Back: Neutral Grip Pulldown(3)
Chest: Incline DB Press(3)
Thighs: Quarter Squat(3)
Delts: Lateral Raise(1)
Calves: Seated Calf(2)
Biceps: Pinwheel Curls(1)
Triceps: Dead Stop Extensions(1)

Saturday: 5-7 reps, 180 seconds rest

Thighs: Sumo Deadlift(3)
Delts: Push Press(1)
Triceps: Dips(1)
Biceps: Barbell Curl(1)

Yeah I like that a bit better, just personally for me. Kind of keeps any one lift from ‘stagnating’ in a particular rep range. My exercise selection is based on:

1. Can I do this movement frequently without injury
  2. Do I feel the muscle ‘working’ even with heavier weights (so like heavy Squats I ALWAYS feel in my Quads)
  3. Can I can progress on this for some time (obviously relative to the movement).

So my next ramp, I’ll be using these exercises:

Chest: Flat Bench and DB Decline
Back: Weighted Neutral Chins and Cable Rows
Delts: Upright Rows and Glass Laterals (or maybe Meadows Swings, not sure)
Quads: Back Squats and Front Squats
Hamstrings: RDLs and GM’s/Incline GHR’s/Leg Curls (seriously not sure for these yet)
Triceps: CG Incline and OH Extensions
Biceps: EZ Curls and Rope Curls

That’s really all I do, and just alternate them day to day. I will admit this is much more ‘boring’ without more exercise variation. I personally would be wary of the ‘Quarter Squats’, and I would do them from Pins so you don’t mistake accidental less ROM with progress. Just know partial Squats the day BEFORE DL’ing could get a bit ugly, because I would think you’ll be partial Squatting a LOT more than you’d full Squat.