BBB Assistance Weight?

Hi guys, about BBB and assistance works.

So the main core lifts (1 each day) have their weights set according to the 5/3/1 plan. For example there’s the assistance bench press on Monday, first month it should be 5x10 with 50% of the rm, right? 2nd month it’s 60%, 3rd month 70%. On Thursday the bench press is the maib lift, so it should be done with the 5/3/1 weights, is that correct?

2nd question - assistance work following assistance work. What weight should I use with those? Enough to do 10 reps of, for example, biceps curls? And then progress with the weight next month?

Welcome to the forums.

The answer to (what I think is) your question depends on whether you’re doing “traditional” BBB or the 3 month BBB challenge. The first stays at 50%, the second increases every cycle.

In either case, the week is structured like this:

Squat day:
Squat 531 %
Squat 5 x 10
Accessories

Bench day:
Bench 531%
Bench 5 x 10
Accessories

Deadlift day:
Deadlift 531%
Deadlift 5 x 10
Accessories

Press day:
Press 531%
Press 5 x 10
Accessories

How strong are you currently?
Do you have the appropriate books for the program?

Edit: apologies, missed the second question. Accessories do not need to have a progression model, just do some and move on with your life.

I’m going to start the 3-month challenge. Ok, so it’s going to be 50% of the assistant work first month, 60% 2nd and 70% in the 3rd month.

By how strong you mean my max weight for the core lifts?

I’m going to order books, but it might take a while till I receive them.

Just a rough number to indicate strength levels and experience levels is fine. And an indication of the TM you intend to use.

Ok, so my max is:
OHP: 50kg (standing, barbell)
Deadlift: 110kg
Bench press: 80kg
Squad: 110kg

TM’s going to be 90% of those maxes above.

Hey guys, I’m during the 4th week of the 5-3-1 Boring Bug Big program. It’s deload week now and I’m thinking about the new cycle that’s coming up and increasing the weights. According to the book, I should increase the training max of the lower body lifts by 10 pound and the upper body lifts by 5 pounds, right? It’s the training max, not RM? When I put these numbers in the excel table (I use kgs instead of punds) I get very small weight progress, almost 1-2 kgs. Is it ok?

Yes.

Remember your TM is a tool to increase strength, not a sign of how much strength you’ve gained.

Unrelated but: Depending on your recovery, you may be able to string two 531 cycles together in future without a deload in between.

3 Likes

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Ok, guys, one last thing. Do you take some breaks while doing the 5/3/1 program? I’m about to finish my 3rd month and I’m thinking about taking a week off.

Buy the books. Deloads are explained thoroughly in there.

Yes. I will do other routines as a break. I am doing Waterbury method know for my second 4-week block. I also mix in Dan john programs too. I probably spend 60-70% of my year on 531 programs and the rest doing something different.

I don’t care for most workout setups that involve body part splits or lots of isolation so the ones I pick tend to have similar philosophies as 531. But I think it is mentally good to switch things up now and then.

Ok, I will take a look at Dan’s programs, thanks! By “breaks” I mean also a training-free week, to regenerate, recover.

Doing no training at all is a perfectly acceptable way to deload. I would probably keep some level of conditioning and mobility training in place though

1 Like

Any particular favourites?

Why yes. Here are my favorites:

1. Minimalist Training plan. It’s a 2-day a week plan based on DL, BP (first day) and Squat, BP (second day). The rest of workouts use a 10 - 5 - 10+ approach for “assistance” or supplemental work. I have made great strength gains on this.

2. His Ladder workout. Do one 1-arm DB clean and press left arm, then right arm, then 1 pull up. Then, do 2 of each. Then, do 3 of each. That’s one set. Do 5 sets. Then do 3x8 1 arm DB BP (on each arm) supersetted with 3x8 ab roll outs. Then do KB snatches as a finisher. (I like to do this as a third workout with the above).

3. His “even easier strength”. You can google this one. High frequency, yet pretty low volume and waving intensity.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply

1 Like