BBB Advice

Hey guys, I want to start BBB in a couple weeks and I was hoping to get some feedback about exercise selection from guys who have done this program. Most of the people in the original BBB thread were doing the 6x a week option but due to school and other obligations I’ll only have time for the 4x a week option. Here’s a link to the diet plan I’m also looking for advice about:

Ramp 1

Day 1 - Mon
Lat Pulldowns - Wide Grip
BB Bench Press
EZ Bar Curls
Seated Calf Raises

Day 2 - Tues
Seated Military Press
Close-Grip Bench Press
Leg Press
Hanging Leg Raises or possibly some Ab crunch machine

Day 3 - Thurs
T-Bar Row
BB Incline Press
Squats
DB Shrugs
Seated Calf Raises
DB Hammer Curls
Skull Crushers

Day 4 - Fri
Leg Press
BB Bench Press
Seated Military Press
Donkey Calf Raises
Dips
EZ Bar Curls

I put in DB Shrugs for day 3 delts because I couldn’t think of an isolation exercise that I could progress in poundage. My primary goal on this bulk is size. Should I add different planes of movement rather than the 2x per week scheme of exercises? I’m open to suggestions thanks.

Thread has already been started on this subject, just this week.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
Thread has already been started on this subject, just this week.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/bbb_first_post[/quote]

I read that thread. He’s asking whether or not he should stick with the program. That is not my question. And he is doing the 6x per week option. I am doing the 4x per week option.

[quote]Scott aka Rice wrote:
Ramp 1

Day 1 - Mon
BB Bench Press
EZ Bar Curls
Seated Calf Raises

Day 2 - Tues
Seated Military Press
Close-Grip Bench Press <–put something else here, C_C does not recommend pushing to extreme failure with three-five sets of a heavy barbell lift and then trying to do the same with another barbell lift…your stabilizers will be shot to shit…try a machine/smith move
Leg Press
Hanging Leg Raises or possibly some Ab crunch machine

Day 3 - Thurs
T-Bar Row
BB Incline Press
Squats <----Squats after two BBB lifts will probably not go so well, and you have no hamstring exercises in your program. Switch this out for Goodmornings or a hamstring-focused deadlift movement
DB Shrugs
Seated Calf Raises
DB Hammer Curls
Skull Crushers

Day 4 - Fri
Leg Press
BB Bench Press <— I would not repeat the same lift twice in a week, switch this for DB bench or Hammer Strength
Lat Pulldowns - Wide Grip <—same with this. V-bar pulldowns, low rope rows, dumbbell rows, Hammer Strength…whatever.
Seated Military Press
Donkey Calf Raises
Dips
EZ Bar Curls <—switch this for seated barbell curls, drag curls, pinwheels, standing dumbbell curls…

I put in DB Shrugs for day 3 delts because I couldn’t think of an isolation exercise that I could progress in poundage. My primary goal on this bulk is size. Should I add different planes of movement rather than the 2x per week scheme of exercises? I’m open to suggestions thanks.[/quote]

I’m on week 5 of BBB. 4 day template. Here is my exercise selection.

It allows me to cover the major muscle groups with frequency and it hits across varying rep ranges. I try to alternate between two or three exercises at most across the week to approach the muscle in a different way.

Tried to pick exercises that allowed to cover the muscle being worked at from different angles and not deliberately miss a muscle head.

For example:
For chest I do : BB Bench Press or DB Incline Press. Every 6 weeks I plan to flip this around - DB flat press and BB Incline Press.

For back I do : Chin-Ups (for width) and 1 Arm DB Row (for thickness). I’d like to move into Pendlay Rows eventually for thickness.

For shoulders I do : BB Military Press/DB Shoulder Press or DB Lateral Raises. On days when they call for 1 to 2 sets for Delts I’ve been supersetting Shoulder Press and Lateral Raises, back to back.

For Legs I do : Back Squat and Leg Press.

The BBB book refers to it as “Thighs”. And doesn’t reference “Hamstrings” specifically. Modok has suggested to superset with hamstring exercises (leg curl, Stiff Leg DL, floor DL) and that’s something I’ve tried but back to back not supersets. I’ve only really done leg curl after back squats.

I am working out how to add DLs in there.

One option would be on alternate days which call for Thighs I do Leg Press and then full DLs with the same number of sets but half the number of reps so I can focus on going heavy. I need to experiment with this and see how it works. So Supergrowth Phase 1 says Day 3 - Thighs (3) x 8-10, I’d do 3 x 8-10 Leg Press then 3 x 4-6 DLs.

Biceps : BB Curl and Hammer Curl.

Triceps : CGBP and Tricep Pressdown with Rope.

Calves : Standing and Seated Calf Raise.

Abs : Hanging Leg Raise, Weighted Crunch.

I would do DB upright rows instead of the shrugs. That way you get delt + trap work. I haven’t personally had a problem progressing with this lift.

There are two GIANT threads on BBB, including exercise selection. You could try reading them.

Thanks for the input Ty and Xander. I’ve decided to go with this setup for ramp 1

Day 1

BB Bench Press
EZ Bar Curls
Seated Calf Raises

Day 2

Seated Military Press
Skull Crushers
Leg Press
Ab Machine

Day 3

T-Bar Row
BB Incline Press
SLDL
DB Shrugs
Seated Calf Raises
DB Hammer Curls
Close-Grip Bench

Day 4

Squats
DB Bench Press
DB Row
Seated Military Press
Donkey Calf Raises
Dips
EZ Bar Preacher Curls - Narrow Grip

[quote]bcingu wrote:
I would do DB upright rows instead of the shrugs. That way you get delt + trap work. I haven’t personally had a problem progressing with this lift.[/quote]

I would do upright rows but if I get below the 15 rep range it just puts too much stress on my joints. Thanks though.

Hey man, good luck to you on your BBB journey! I’ve gone through the program once before and am almost done for the second time. Right now, i’m starting up ramp 3 tomorrow. Check out my log (haven’t updated it in a few weeks) and if you have any questions, let me know.