BBB: 5x10 Good Mornings Instead of Squat

I’m doing BBB and wanted to get some opinions of doing Good Mornings (or something similar) instead of the 5x10 squat. Everything else would stay the same.

Thanks.

Why?

[quote]nucknfutz wrote:
I’m doing BBB and wanted to get some opinions of doing Good Mornings (or something similar) instead of the 5x10 squat. Everything else would stay the same.

Thanks.[/quote]

Try 5x10 of GM on your squat days and 5x10 squat on your deadlift days.

Why? Good question. Right now I’m doing 531 deadlift, 5x10 bbb squat, and then good mornings. Wondering if 5x10 good mornings instead of squat might carryover better to my 531 squat and deadlift.

Thats actually the opposite of what i wss thinking, that would replace the 5x10 deadlift instead of the 5x10 squat. Whats the thinking there?

[quote]nucknfutz wrote:
Thats actually the opposite of what i wss thinking, that would replace the 5x10 deadlift instead of the 5x10 squat. Whats the thinking there? [/quote]

Deadlfits and GMs are both hip hinging movements. If you don’t groove the squat pattern with any assistance work your form might get sloppy

Good point.

I wouldn’t expect much carryover from the good morning to the squat.

You need something more specific. An actual squat is a good start but If you really don’t want to do it, I’d choose a front squat - unless you’re that one guy in the world whose quads are strong enough.

The reason I like these for the squat is because they are a direct assault on my biggest fear - getting pancaked when I am in the hole. With the good morning - we put ourselves in that vulnerable - doubled over - position on purpose and then force ourselves to get out of it (with lighter weight to begin with of course). This strengthens those muscles, lower back, erectors, abs - all of it in an invaluable way…not to mention the mid and upper back work. I personally always include them in some way in any training program for the squat/dl. Even if I only do them with my blue bands, etc…

Of course all of the suggestions here are valid, especially the ones regarding greasing - but to say that they don’t provide “carryover” is short-sighted. Ab work and glute-ham raises don’t either - but they strengthen the muscles necessary for the lift - that’s the whole point of accessory and supplemental work -which for some reason gets a bad rap here.

Replacing the 5x10 of the Deads with GM’s is fine - not a problem at all. Just make sure you are doing the movement correctly.

Thanks Jim and everyone.

Jim, So replacing the deadlift is fine, but would replacing squats with GM’s be ok?