BB work with Powerlifting Training Routine?

I just started training with a powerlifting team every MWF, I will be squatting Monday, pulling Wednesday and benching on Friday. They use the Conjugate Method (rotating ME, DE upper/ lower days). Since they only train 3 days a week I was planning on training on my own as well. I was thinking to do some BB work at that time since I probably have more physique minded goals then powerlifting.

I will be getting plenty of lower body work in MW squatting, pulling, GHR, reverse hypers etc. I was thinking Tuesday I would do a Chest (heavy if Friday is DE, and light if ME) and Shoulder Press. Was thinking to use the BBB 531 format and then do some accessory type work. Saturday I would do arms, pullups, rows etc. What do you guys think of this plan?

Are the guys on the team big and strong? If so I’d just talk to them about it. They’ll have a better idea of what you’re doing M/W/F and what you can add (if anything). I personally wouldn’t go adding anything if I had the luxury of training with a team of big, strong dudes who know what they’re doing.

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
Are the guys on the team big and strong? If so I’d just talk to them about it. They’ll have a better idea of what you’re doing M/W/F and what you can add (if anything). I personally wouldn’t go adding anything if I had the luxury of training with a team of big, strong dudes who know what they’re doing. [/quote]

To be honest the simple answer is no. There is one member who is very strong but None of them have a physique I would want. The coach is very knowledgeable and experienced and I will absolutely ask her for her advice.

You mention BB work in the title, but I’m curious, is your goal to actually have a bodybuilder type physique or do you have specific parts that you simply want to have bigger than others?

Matt Kroc has talked a bit about the difference between training for bodybuilding vs powerlifting, and it would be a great resource if you’re actually vectoring in that direction. However, if you are just wanting to make some parts of your physique bigger, I would say it’s a job of experimenting and seeing what’s working.

On the bodybuilding topic, Kroc talked primarily about how powerlifting did a good job building his torso (specifically his back) but left the extremities lacking. Powerlifting is all about using every muscle possible to move the weight, so even if you got a guy that squats 1000lbs, his legs might not actually be a strong point because he was using his hips, back, hamstrings, glutes, etc etc to move the weight. Said he had issues bringing up his shoulders and arms too, while his pecs were doing fine. Things to consider.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
You mention BB work in the title, but I’m curious, is your goal to actually have a bodybuilder type physique or do you have specific parts that you simply want to have bigger than others?

Matt Kroc has talked a bit about the difference between training for bodybuilding vs powerlifting, and it would be a great resource if you’re actually vectoring in that direction. However, if you are just wanting to make some parts of your physique bigger, I would say it’s a job of experimenting and seeing what’s working.

On the bodybuilding topic, Kroc talked primarily about how powerlifting did a good job building his torso (specifically his back) but left the extremities lacking. Powerlifting is all about using every muscle possible to move the weight, so even if you got a guy that squats 1000lbs, his legs might not actually be a strong point because he was using his hips, back, hamstrings, glutes, etc etc to move the weight. Said he had issues bringing up his shoulders and arms too, while his pecs were doing fine. Things to consider.[/quote]

I dont see myself competing in BB anytime soon, so yes I want the physique but not training at all costs for the look. My plan has been build a base in strength, learn how to do the main lifts properly before worrying too much about my abs and biceps. I want to look a certain way but I dont want to be all show and no go. Since I am tall, IMO my arms are a weak point and I dont see powerlifting helping them out to much. I guess I want it all. Come summer Ill be wanting to see abs again.

Ill search for some Matt Kroc articles.

[quote]Sheed3K wrote:
I dont see myself competing in BB anytime soon, so yes I want the physique but not training at all costs for the look. My plan has been build a base in strength, learn how to do the main lifts properly before worrying too much about my abs and biceps. I want to look a certain way but I dont want to be all show and no go. Since I am tall, IMO my arms are a weak point and I dont see powerlifting helping them out to much. I guess I want it all. Come summer Ill be wanting to see abs again.

[/quote]

I don’t think I quite made the point I intended. What I am getting at is that bodybuilders have a certain physique that is judged in bodybuilding. It meets certain criteria and requires certain training for it. If that’s the exact physique you’re going for, it’s going to require some exact deviations, but otherwise, if you just want to be a bigger and stronger version of yourself, there aren’t a lot of wrong decisions.

The articles are good, but also look for his video/audio interviews. That’s where I remember hearing this from him.

[quote]Sheed3K wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t think I quite made the point I intended. What I am getting at is that bodybuilders have a certain physique that is judged in bodybuilding. It meets certain criteria and requires certain training for it. If that’s the exact physique you’re going for, it’s going to require some exact deviations, but otherwise, if you just want to be a bigger and stronger version of yourself, there aren’t a lot of wrong decisions.

The articles are good, but also look for his video/audio interviews. That’s where I remember hearing this from him.[/quote]

Im not training for BB and perhaps the subject was misleading. I feel that training 3 days a week with the main focus on strength leaves a lot of room for other work and more training. I want to look a certain way but not concerned if that fits a Judges criteria. I want to be big and strong and show abs but not looking to get down to 6%

With that, I don’t really see you having any issues. Monitor recovery and know that, if you start regressing, the extra stuff is the first to get cut.

With that, I don’t really see you having any issues. Monitor recovery and know that, if you start regressing, the extra stuff is the first to get cut.[/quote]

I don’t think it will be an issue now while I’m on a calorie surplus. When I look to lean out it may.

Do the assistance work from westside for skinny bastards after the main lifts and/or add one day for very light/high rep arm pump work and shoulder prehab,abs etc

So your proposed schedule would be:
Monday - squatting
Tuesday - Chest (heavy if Friday is DE, and light if ME) and Shoulder Press
Wednesday - pulling
Friday - benching
Saturday - arms, pullups, rows etc.

I’d consider a few changes like: First and most importantly, make sure you’re actually doing enough leg work. Heavy squat/deads and whatever accessory stuff you do on those days may or may not be enough, and as a taller dude you might need more direct and/or unilateral stuff to grow quads, hams, and calves.

I’d keep Tuesday’s chest work in a moderate rep range (traditional “bodybuilding” stuff) instead of alternating heavy/light, which could interfere in recovery from Friday. I’d also monitor any triceps work on Saturday. Between chest/shoulders on Tuesday and bench/accessory work on Friday, your tris are getting a lot of work, so if you’re including much tri work on Saturday, consider mostly higher rep stuff to further aid recovery. Pressdowns or even basic close-grip push-ups above 15 reps can be killer on the muscles and easy on the joints.

Another thing to consider is to possibly have Tuesday as a general upper body day (rows, pulldowns, chest, side delts, arms) and Saturday as a general lower body day (bodybuilding stuff for quads, hams, calves). That way, the week would [i]basically[/] be: lower, upper, lower, rest, upper, lower, rest. But again, that depends a lot on what you’re doing in the Mon/Wed sessions.

I think you’re overthinking it man, just do your powerlifter workouts but make sure your accessory work is hammering the “problem” areas like rear/lateral delts, long head of the triceps, upper chest, calves etc.

Chris’s example he laid out is pretty solid, I basically have 3 days a week where I do the main powerlifts (squat, bench, DL in that order) and at the end of the week I have basically an accessory day. Which is high rep rows, shoulders, direct arm work and whatever else you feel necessary. Its easy to recover from, gives me an extra day in the gym (which at the end of the day I just like to lift).