BB vs. DB Bench

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
this is just a wild idea, but mabye the reason its easier for you to dumbell bench is because your benching 55 less pounds…? i think that has something to do with it, i bet if you tried 125 pound dumbells in each hand you would fail too just like on the barbell[/quote]

This proves either newbie status or armchair bodybuilder status. You either don’t lift weights at all or just started. Anyone else would know that these are two completely different exercises and most people can not dumbbell press the exact same weight they can barbell press.

I went exclusively to dumbell bench press for about 1/2 year because I had shoulder pain. I did them on a slight decline. It was a goog break. I don’t think dumbells help my barbell bench press by themselves though. The other good break was to do exclusively close-grip benches for about 3 months.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I think I’ve given up on BB bench press. Can’t do it, never have been. My max bench is 255. Been working on it, and all attempt to go heavier result in very sore shoulders and failed lifts.

Today I was working up to 260 (man, I was going for it). Got to my warm-up set of 225 and the first rep kicked my ass. Disgusted and pissed, I left the BP and went over to the DB’s grabbed the 80’s and did 3 easy, then 90’s for 2 easy…said “what the hell”, picked up the 100’s and knocked out 1 1/2 reps (a very light spot would have gotten me the second rep). I had never even picked up the 100’s before. What’s more, no shoulder pain.

Anyone else feel stronger on DB bench than BB? [/quote]

but hes saying its so much easier to db lift, of course its going to be EASIER becuase hes using so much less weight. i dont see how the exersize being HARDER would make him be able to lift easier. hes claiming that his DB bench is much easier than his BB and the reason for that is the fact hes using much less weight

Shoulder Savers: Part I
by Eric Cressey
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531
Look at Shoulder Saver #3: Learn to Bench Press Correctly.

Bench Press 600 Pounds
A 12 Step Program
by Dave Tate
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808

Yo, How Much Ya Bench?
Set-up for a Big Bench
by Mike Robertson
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=570881

but hes saying its so much easier to db lift, of course its going to be EASIER becuase hes using so much less weight. i dont see how the exersize being HARDER would make him be able to lift easier. hes claiming that his DB bench is much easier than his BB and the reason for that is the fact hes using much less weight[/quote]

No offense, John, but you are clueless. I advise you stop now before someone really embarasses you.

but hes saying its so much easier to db lift, of course its going to be EASIER becuase hes using so much less weight. i dont see how the exersize being HARDER would make him be able to lift easier. hes claiming that his DB bench is much easier than his BB and the reason for that is the fact hes using much less weight[/quote]

I haven’t done a traditional “barbell bench” in over 5 years or more. My chest measures about 53". I personally think dumbbells are a great exercise and the next step once any gains begin to stagnate on the barbell (assuming you actually reached a level most would even see as “strong”). The movement on dumbbells to me seems more natural. You seem to be caught up on the amount of weight. I have seen many guys who think they are badass because they can bench over 300lbs on a barbell suddenly get quieter because they aren’t using near the same weight with dumbbells.

What is really sad, is many will continue using the barbell simply because they can brag about the weight used when they would possibly see better development if they switched to dumbbells.

DB’s are better. For me and my development of strength and muscle. It’s not common to see anyone using db’s for any benching. I’ve used them exclusively for all benches - incline, flat and decline for more than a year now.

Do whatever that get the best results for you.

I claim novice status, but doesn’t the DB bench specifically work the serratus anterior whereas the BB doesn’t? (at least not to anywhere close to the extent)

[quote]Professor X wrote:
john-lennon wrote:
but hes saying its so much easier to db lift, of course its going to be EASIER becuase hes using so much less weight. i dont see how the exersize being HARDER would make him be able to lift easier. hes claiming that his DB bench is much easier than his BB and the reason for that is the fact hes using much less weight

I haven’t done a traditional “barbell bench” in over 5 years or more. My chest measures about 53". I personally think dumbbells are a great exercise and the next step once any gains begin to stagnate on the barbell (assuming you actually reached a level most would even see as “strong”). The movement on dumbbells to me seems more natural. You seem to be caught up on the amount of weight. I have seen many guys who think they are badass because they can bench over 300lbs on a barbell suddenly get quieter because they aren’t using near the same weight with dumbbells.

What is really sad, is many will continue using the barbell simply because they can brag about the weight used when they would possibly see better development if they switched to dumbbells.[/quote]

man i don’t think i could have said that any better…in my experience i got better chest development with dumbells than i did with BB

[quote]Carbon-12 wrote:
I claim novice status, but doesn’t the DB bench specifically work the serratus anterior whereas the BB doesn’t? (at least not to anywhere close to the extent)[/quote]

No.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Carbon-12 wrote:
I claim novice status, but doesn’t the DB bench specifically work the serratus anterior whereas the BB doesn’t? (at least not to anywhere close to the extent)

No.

[/quote]

My mistake then, I got that out of a training guide I read.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:

However, if I was to focus on Dbells only for a similar time frame my bar bench would definitely suffer and go down. You get much more torque from the two hand hold then you can generate with one hand and will always be stronger and if you neglect the bar you won’t be as strong and bar numbers will drop.
[/quote]

I have actually experienced the opposite. I trained chest with dips and dumbells exclusively for about 2 months, then came back to the barbell stronger. I think it may be a good way to break a plateau.

I prefer the dumbells to the barbell. It allows for more variation.

okay then im sorry i understand now after everyone explained it to me :stuck_out_tongue: my bad!

i started off just doing db work and then got snagged at 80 pounders, and then moved to bb to try to bust thru that weight plateau and ive been stuck at 160… doesnt help that the past few weeks have sucked as i got my wisdom teeth out and a bunch of other problems but when i can start lifting again monday im going to blast thru it hopefully

The traditional barbell bench always left me with aching shoulders the next day and I have had trouble getting in a groove with the exercise, but the weighted push-up and its variations are very similar in nature (bi-lateral horizontal push) and feel great on the shoulders. In addition, they are a closed-chain movement. You can do them with both the Blast Straps from EliteFTS for increasing range of motion (more pec activation as well) and stability or just plain for pure strength.

I suggest everyone gives them a try if they want an alternative to traditional BB pressing. As I generally do them using the Blast Straps with my feet on a chair, a normal dip/chin belt works fine. It really develops the pecs if you go deep and the triceps.

I think there is a fairly big difference in DB vs BB and mainly because you can put the dumbells just about anywhere to get it to full extension. When BB pressing, even cheating the weight up, there is much less flexibility in joint angles you can manipulate to get the weight up. I think alot of people are so set on benching alot of weight that it hurts their progress because the act of not benching near their max consistently hurts their ego, so they are always testing that point. I know i do it, and with other exercises i have much more patience.

I have one more week left with my current training set and then I am giving standard BB bench the flick for 6 months at least. My bench numbers are still pretty low, but my shoulders are telling me that they need a break.

Maybe I should do DB press on a swis ball! :slight_smile:

[quote]helga wrote:
I have one more week left with my current training set and then I am giving standard BB bench the flick for 6 months at least. My bench numbers are still pretty low, but my shoulders are telling me that they need a break.

Maybe I should do DB press on a swis ball! :)[/quote]

Make sure you attach some pictures of you doing 120lb DB presses on the ball. But it won’t really count unless you have one foot in the air while balancing a protein shake on your nose.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Carbon-12 wrote:

No.

[/quote]

The scapula have to be free to move to work the serratus and most people are not going to want to move the scapula with a barbell bench.

With dumbells you might have more freedom to move the scapula. Weighted pushups and or dips would allow the most freedom.

Still, you’ve got to be pretty “lean” to see your serratus, and if you are that lean, and still big enough that “finishing off the serratus” is the last step to the Mr. Olympia, then ask someone more qualified.

I like both. They each have their place. BB Bench lets you load up the weight and is great for max-effort work. I think DB’s are the only way to go for RE work, though. They are much easier on the shoulders and I get a lot better “pump” in the chest. I only feel BB bench in my tri’s and shoulders (which is where you should feel it if you’re doing it correctly). I seem to come off the bottom better in BB Bench when I’m doing a lot of DB work, as well.

As I have stated numerous times on this very forum. Barbell Bench Pressing WILL eventually wreck your shoulders unless you have the proper build for it. That build is short arms and a barrel chest.

If you have long arms and more of a shallow chest your shoulders WILL be damaged if you keep Barbell Benching…it’s just a matter of time.

Dumbbell Benching is far superior for shoulder health and you can build a great chest with them as well.

The reason is two fold, the Dumbbell plates if used properly in the Bench Press, will touch your shoulders (or chest) which means you are not placing your shoulders low enough to put them in an unhealthy position.

Also, you can move your wrists as they are not locked into a bar. This helps you place your hands in a more superior postion to avoid injury.

I have not done Barbell Bench Presses in probably 10 years. But I can handle 110lb. dumbbells for a few reps.