BB Technique on Bench Press Q's

Ok, I am very familiar with strength training technique, thumb distance from smooth, elbows in, wrists straight, shoulder blades pulled together, shoulders sheathed. However I have an under developed chest in my opinion when it comes to size. I obviously cant put up as much weight when i get out wider and use BB form when it comes to bench press. Any tips or advice you could give me? I want to get stronger AND bigger but i feel like it’s going to be one or the other… im frustrated.

Do the bench press more strength oriented style, and then do assistance exercises like Dumbbell bench and flies for size.

welcome on flat chest group LOL

1/ forget all PL tecniques (elbows tucked in,leg drive,arched back etc etc).
if you want to develop chest you have to force the chest to do all the work not lifting 110% of your load…

2/lower the load (even of 30%); 3 seconds eccentrics,longer TUL,squeeze the pecs

3/very IMO,forget about bb flat bench and throw in slighly decline/incline (20°ish inclination) bb bench,if you wanna do flat use dbs

said this,if you switch to an hypertrophy routine like that you gain size,
after a while you can do a more PL oriented routine to use the new muscle to lift bigger weights (and viceversa).

PS; its not a lowering weights tout court,it just using the right load with good form,that will reduce the loads you are using with PL tecnique but you wanna do bbing (bigger chest)…

ah,forgot one thing; on FB i read a post by dusty hanshaw who was asked the infamous question:
“how much do you bench press”…he replied that he didn’t bench press since high school…

Ok, makes sense, yeah i don’t use PL form ever though. I use strength training form, i don’t arch my back or pull my legs under me, i just protect my shoulders and keep my wrists straight. But i will definitely try the slight incline and decline and concentrating on the eccentric portion of the movement.

What are your thoughts on doing a 4 or maybe an 8 week progression strength training form and then a 4 week progression with bb form, (slight decline, slight incline, eccentric)

I noticed my chest doing more of the work when I focused on gripping the bar as tight as I could and doing the whole “spread the bar” technique as I lowered the weight by trying to pull the bar in opposite directions with each hand. I’m a natural shoulder presser otherwise when I try to flat bench.

Wtf is “strength training form” supposed to mean, if not PL form?

[quote]BroMontana wrote:
Ok, makes sense, yeah i don’t use PL form ever though. I use strength training form, i don’t arch my back or pull my legs under me, i just protect my shoulders and keep my wrists straight. But i will definitely try the slight incline and decline and concentrating on the eccentric portion of the movement.

What are your thoughts on doing a 4 or maybe an 8 week progression strength training form and then a 4 week progression with bb form, (slight decline, slight incline, eccentric) [/quote]

I played D1 Football for 3 years until i tore my acl for the 2nd time, i may try out next year in the nfl combine.

I like my training to be similar to this NX Level Intro - YouTube i wouldn’t call that power lifting, or bb…

So what exactly is your goal?

you want to try out for the combine but youre asking about how to build a big chest not get a shit load of reps with 225? Whats the deal here.

[quote]BroMontana wrote:

What are your thoughts on doing a 4 or maybe an 8 week progression strength training form and then a 4 week progression with bb form, (slight decline, slight incline, eccentric) [/quote]

broM,

i have been a center for many years so I maybe understand your needs but VERY IMO you can’t serve two masters,I mean your needs are performances oriented not really mass-gaining,who cares on the field if you have a very developed chest but can’t punch away the opponent??
or if you have a 19inch gun but your back (deadlift or trapbar) isn’t able to stop dead the enemy?
if I was in your shoes I follow more a WESTSIDE method (in this field Lou Simmons is THE MAN) and eat like a wild-boar…
really don’t think that bbing protocols (size oriented) will help you on the field…things like explosive strenght,starting strenght,maximal strenght are far more important than size in AF…
very IMO.

[quote]BroMontana wrote:
I played D1 Football for 3 years until i tore my acl for the 2nd time, i may try out next year in the nfl combine.

I like my training to be similar to this NX Level Intro - YouTube i wouldn’t call that power lifting, or bb… [/quote]

I’d call it football training…

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]BroMontana wrote:

I like my training to be similar to this NX Level Intro - YouTube i wouldn’t call that power lifting, or bb… [/quote]

I’d call it football training…[/quote]

that is a mix of PL,OL,intense cardio but NO BBING…

[quote]BroMontana wrote:
Ok, I am very familiar with strength training technique, thumb distance from smooth, elbows in, wrists straight, shoulder blades pulled together, shoulders sheathed. However I have an under developed chest in my opinion when it comes to size. I obviously cant put up as much weight when i get out wider and use BB form when it comes to bench press. Any tips or advice you could give me? I want to get stronger AND bigger but i feel like it’s going to be one or the other… im frustrated.[/quote]

I am very confused as to how ‘strength training technique’ involves holding the bar ‘thumb distance from smooth’ and how you ‘obviously cant put up as much weight when I get out wider’.

This is so insanely innacurate I am puzzled… For ‘strength technique’ or powerlifting, the optimal position is as wide as is legal!!! Pointers on the 81cm rings. Almost every single person benching at worlds benches holding the bar like this. As far as putting up the most weight, when you have your hands out wider you should be able to bench more. And as far a BB technique, IMO if you can bench double bodyweight one day (through powerlifting) your chest is going to be larger than most bodybuilders of the same bodyweight.

As far as stronger or bigger… Not true. Train hard with decent volume and you will gain size and strength. I have gained 45lb in the past 2 years training nothing but powerlifting style. And my bodyfat has probably gone up MAYBE 1-2%.

[quote]arramzy wrote:

[quote]BroMontana wrote:
Ok, I am very familiar with strength training technique, thumb distance from smooth, elbows in, wrists straight, shoulder blades pulled together, shoulders sheathed. However I have an under developed chest in my opinion when it comes to size. I obviously cant put up as much weight when i get out wider and use BB form when it comes to bench press. Any tips or advice you could give me? I want to get stronger AND bigger but i feel like it’s going to be one or the other… im frustrated.[/quote]

I am very confused as to how ‘strength training technique’ involves holding the bar ‘thumb distance from smooth’ and how you ‘obviously cant put up as much weight when I get out wider’.

This is so insanely innacurate I am puzzled… For ‘strength technique’ or powerlifting, the optimal position is as wide as is legal!!! Pointers on the 81cm rings. Almost every single person benching at worlds benches holding the bar like this. As far as putting up the most weight, when you have your hands out wider you should be able to bench more. And as far a BB technique, IMO if you can bench double bodyweight one day (through powerlifting) your chest is going to be larger than most bodybuilders of the same bodyweight.

As far as stronger or bigger… Not true. Train hard with decent volume and you will gain size and strength. I have gained 45lb in the past 2 years training nothing but powerlifting style. And my bodyfat has probably gone up MAYBE 1-2%.[/quote]

I am trying to build FUNCTIONAL strength, I don’t consider powerlifting very functional. Bodybuilding is more functional than PL and Football training is more functional than BB and so on. I am just trying to build a large chest while training for functional strength at the same time. Thats as simple as i can put it.

[quote]BroMontana wrote:

[quote]arramzy wrote:

[quote]BroMontana wrote:

As far as stronger or bigger… Not true. Train hard with decent volume and you will gain size and strength. I have gained 45lb in the past 2 years training nothing but powerlifting style. And my bodyfat has probably gone up MAYBE 1-2%.[/quote]

I am trying to build FUNCTIONAL strength, I don’t consider powerlifting very functional. Bodybuilding is more functional than PL and Football training is more functional than BB and so on. I am just trying to build a large chest while training for functional strength at the same time. Thats as simple as i can put it.
[/quote]
Then why confuse the question with the video? Stick to your op and lets see the advice provided.

[quote]BroMontana wrote:

[quote]arramzy wrote:

[quote]BroMontana wrote:

[/quote]

LOL. Considering you played, I would hope you recognize that speed training (a powerlifting technique) is far more relevant to athletics than training for hypertrophy.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
IMO if you can bench double bodyweight one day (through powerlifting) your chest is going to be larger than most bodybuilders of the same bodyweight.

dont think so,if you are right so a 200lb bber chest is smaller than a 200lb pler?
do you count also the % of fat in 200lb pler??

yeah,training hard bbing style makes you stronger as make you bigger…but
IF you train PL style (triple repsx90%,doublex95%,board press etc etc) you become stronger than using a BBing approach,I remember Simmons said that his method makes atlethes stronger not larger,he used also an example that a world class sprinter weights 200lb not 300 like a Mr Olympia…too much size is unfunctional at sport top level (not if you are a sumo wrestler)…don’t see many NFL players bigger than bbers,don’t see any MMA/UFC fighters carrying a huge amopunt of muscle,never see a game pitbull heavy and big…

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]BroMontana wrote:

I’d call it football training…[/quote]

that is a mix of PL,OL,intense cardio but NO BBING…[/quote]

Ohmygod you are not getting this. It isn’t PL training, because they’re not training for a powerlifting meet. It’s not Olympic training, because they aren’t competing in Olympic lifting. It’s not BBing, because they’re not competing in BBing shows. It’s not crossfit, because they aren’t doing crossfit competitions. IT’S FOOTBALL TRAINING BECAUSE THEY’RE TRAINING FOR FOOTBALL!

Would you tell an Olympic sprinter who just did a widowmaker set of squats that he’s training like a bodybuilder? No, because that’s not what he’s using it for! It’s a tool for his sprinting training, so it’s sprint training.