T Nation

BB Row Form

There is not ‘one’ BB Row. BB Rows are not like Highlanders. There should be more than one.

I Train both ‘high’ ( row to lower chest or higher ) and ‘low’ ( row to waist or abdomen ) Rows.

‘High’ and ‘Low’ does not mean the angle of the body, it means ( roughly ) where on the Trainees body the bar and or db’s are aimed at.

I look at it like Flat Bench, and Incline Bench.

Who Trains only Flat or Incline? Practice both.

That being said, looks better than most, but I think after you get up a bit more in weight, you should try to tighten your form, OP.

It’s okay, the way you are doing them OP, but I think you are on the border of letting form get away from you.

Less than perfect form is cool FOR A WHILE, but form should eventually be reigned in after some time just trying to get the weight and volume up.

I don’t like any of those videos
execution must be proper, and should be with the torso approaching the parallel to the ground, chin tucked, so neutral position of the neck , then the only things to move should be your arms, making the barbell slide to your legs and come in contact with your abs. Legs are slightly bent. Ass is coming out a bit like you were in the bottom position of a romanian deadlift.

So assuming the correct position you just pull the barbell sliding to your legs towars your abs, focusing on bringing the shoulder blades together and also retracting your shoulders the most u can. Also keep gently the belly button inside to activate your TVA and protect your spine!

This is a correct Barbell Row.

REDUCE THE LOAD!

[quote]stefanogym wrote:
I don’t like any of those videos
execution must be proper, and should be with the torso approaching the parallel to the ground, chin tucked, so neutral position of the neck , then the only things to move should be your arms, making the barbell slide to your legs and come in contact with your abs. Legs are slightly bent. Ass is coming out a bit like you were in the bottom position of a romanian deadlift.

So assuming the correct position you just pull the barbell sliding to your legs towars your abs, focusing on bringing the shoulder blades together and also retracting your shoulders the most u can. Also keep gently the belly button inside to activate your TVA and protect your spine!

[/quote]

Yeah but the guys in the example videos can’t get in this position you describe. Such an act would require hamstring flexibility.

then work first on flexibility

body must be functional or we can t use it properly :))))

he needs that flexibility also to keep his spine safe

meanwhile he can stimulate upper back properly with inverted rows. And if already strong, things that I doubt, to do them properly only with body weight, he can wear a backpack with weights inside on the front of his body.
It would be more effective to train the horizontal pull than the row he is actually doing.
Well it would be better either cases if properly done (the inverted row)

I dont like that sort of ego lifting. but whatever works for you

Bent over rows are for your LATS, not your UPPER BACK. The lats row, the retractors retract and stabilize load over head. If you want to train your traps, perform shrugs, face pulls, overhead press, back flye, etc, If you want lat thickness, do pull ups, BB rows, single arm rows, straight arm pull down etc.

Please understand that you need to focus on one or the other when doing a move. ITS EITHER YOUR LAT OR TRAPS…and of course there are the assisting muscles for each of those two. Lats=terres major, rear delt. Traps = rhomboids, rear delts. Dont worry too much about squeezing your shoulder blades together on a row, just think about pulling with your lats.>> TRY IT!! Train your mid/upper back with other moves!! GOOD LUCK

Ah… Threads like this should be closed after the first three to five responses…

Why? because only the first posters’ comments are valid? I have to admit that the videos look like “ego-booster” exercises. Tiny ROM + Swinging the weight most of the way up = not much benefit

[quote]TDub301 wrote:
Why? because only the first posters’ comments are valid? I have to admit that the videos look like “ego-booster” exercises. Tiny ROM + Swinging the weight most of the way up = not much benefit[/quote]

Did you just migrate over here from the comments-section of youtube.com ?

Take a look at Bug’s back and tell me what he does has not much benefit… For fuck’s sake…

I watched these videos and my bb row increased by 50 pounds… but my lats shrank

I’ve heard a lot of people say ronnie colemans BB Rows are very good and he’s at a shallow angle.

I agree with the guy that said do both. Then you cant lose out right?

[quote]stefanogym wrote:

[/quote]

Kindof negated any reasoning by the whole suck in the belly button, activate TVA thing. Don’t you realize that by shortening the lever arm of the musculature (sucking in your gut), you are REDUCING the capability of the abdominals to influence spinal stability, and in fact, you are actually inducing more instability in the spine?

Plus the fact TVA has negligible absolute influence on spinal stability.

(and now I wait for the typical defensive reaction from someone blinded by bullshit training jargon and pseudoscience)

[quote]Antares wrote:
There is not ‘one’ BB Row. BB Rows are not like Highlanders. There should be more than one.

I Train both ‘high’ ( row to lower chest or higher ) and ‘low’ ( row to waist or abdomen ) Rows.

‘High’ and ‘Low’ does not mean the angle of the body, it means ( roughly ) where on the Trainees body the bar and or db’s are aimed at.

I look at it like Flat Bench, and Incline Bench.

Who Trains only Flat or Incline? Practice both.

That being said, looks better than most, but I think after you get up a bit more in weight, you should try to tighten your form, OP.

It’s okay, the way you are doing them OP, but I think you are on the border of letting form get away from you.

Less than perfect form is cool FOR A WHILE, but form should eventually be reigned in after some time just trying to get the weight and volume up.[/quote]

But what did your mentor have to say on this?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Take a look at Bug’s back and tell me what he does has not much benefit… For fuck’s sake…
[/quote]

??? You cursed!!! U having another one of those days :wink:

[quote]TDub301 wrote:
Why? because only the first posters’ comments are valid? I have to admit that the videos look like “ego-booster” exercises. Tiny ROM Swinging the weight most of the way up = not much benefit[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you think that’s the only exercise he does? If you have to cheat from the beginning of the set, you’re using too much weight. Maybe doing that every once in a while is one thing. I seriously doubt that his back looks like that exclusively from cheat BB rows. In fact, didn’t he say he was focusing more on form, now?

[quote]TDub301 wrote:

[quote]TDub301 wrote:
Why? because only the first posters’ comments are valid? I have to admit that the videos look like “ego-booster” exercises. Tiny ROM Swinging the weight most of the way up = not much benefit[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you think that’s the only exercise he does? If you have to cheat from the beginning of the set, you’re using too much weight. Maybe doing that every once in a while is one thing. I seriously doubt that his back looks like that exclusively from cheat BB rows. In fact, didn’t he say he was focusing more on form, now?[/quote]

I KNOW what exercises he does, what weights he uses, how many reps he gets every session, what kind of form he used when… I even commented on that video when he first posted it in another thread, which is, if I remember correctly, one of the reasons for his change in rowing technique.
He had a great back even before he altered his technique, both width and thickness wise.

The thing is, you have NO CLUE what is important in rowing. You can’t possibly say how much someone is hitting his back by simply looking at whether his upper body is moving up or down… That part isn’t even all that important.
You are like every other beginner who just got done reading a bunch of articles or textbooks and are now criticizing just about every single person bigger and stronger than you for not doing exercises with the exact motion YOU read or heard they should be done with.

Funny as it is, I just ran across one of your SAMA posts on swingers. Indeed, you know nothing about the subject (at least you admit that much), yet feel somehow compelled to make comments as if you did.
A few more of those and we have us a pattern.

[quote]TDub301 wrote:

[quote]TDub301 wrote:

[/quote]

Do you think that’s the only exercise he does? If you have to cheat from the beginning of the set, you’re using too much weight. Maybe doing that every once in a while is one thing. I seriously doubt that his back looks like that exclusively from cheat BB rows. In fact, didn’t he say he was focusing more on form, now?[/quote]

I KNOW what exercises he does, what weights he uses, how many reps he gets every session, what kind of form he used when… I even commented on that video when he first posted it in another thread, which is, if I remember correctly, one of the reasons for his change in rowing technique.
He had a great back even before he altered his technique, both width and thickness wise.

The thing is, you have NO CLUE what is important in rowing. You can’t possibly say how much someone is hitting his back by simply looking at whether his upper body is moving up or down… That part isn’t even all that important.
You are like every other beginner who just got done reading a bunch of articles or textbooks and are now criticizing just about every single person bigger and stronger than you for not doing exercises with the exact motion YOU read or heard they should be done with.

Funny as it is, I just ran across one of your SAMA posts on swingers. Indeed, you know nothing about the subject (at least you admit that much), yet feel somehow compelled to make comments as if you did.
A few more of those and we have us a pattern.
[/quote]

C_C chill man. We all know slow and controlled perfect reps with the pink dumbbells are what stimulate growth! Right?

Fuck that. Get his ass CC, I like this side of you.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Fuck that. Get his ass CC, I like this side of you.[/quote]

Been nice for far too long now. I can’t argue worth shit anymore… And I still have a bunch of questions waiting for me in my Q&A thread, damnit :slight_smile:
I thought ignoring them for a week or two would make them go away, but I guess the server won’t have it.