BB Row Form for Back Width?

[quote]youngblood52 wrote:
what is the best type of BB Row form to concentrate on the lats/back width?

• what angle should your back be at (relative to the floor)
  • how wide should the grip be
  • overhand or underhand grip
  • where should you pull the bar to…belly? chest? etc…?
  • any other tips you can think of

thanks guys[/quote]

-at least 45degrees
-shoulder width grip
-overhand, underhand recruits biceps more removing back from the equation
-pull to abs
-make sure you get the pinch of the upper back muscles

For back thickness I think Kroc’s, Pendlay’s, and the like are great (and will build some width as well).

But honestly, if width is your primary objective, IMO you’re better off going with low lat rows. Here is Dave Tate doing some using a rope attachment (you could use just about any attachment though):

This is the exercise that Justin Harris primarily accredits his huge improvements in terms of back width to.

My personal preference:

1. Shoulder width, overhand thumbless grip
  2. I don’t bend over too far, I guess my upper body goes to about 3 o’clock and I stick my ass out like on the way down for a RDL
  3. Begin each rep with scapular retraction (fancy wordz!) and by pulling through the elbows
  4. Pull to the belly button, full bottom stretch

Justin’s back before

Justin’s back after

her calves are more impressive

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:
DJS wrote:
I watched the video… still not sure what a kroc row is.

Like… is it the angle he holds the dumbells at or is that just because the dumbells are so long? Same with his stance, range of motion, etc.

Just want to make sure i understand what the goal of a kroc db row is compared to the standard one handed db row.

Kind of a slightly cheated, heavy weight, high rep dumbell row set. Think of it as to the “20 rep squat” for rows.[/quote]

Yup. It’s not the DB row, it’s the rep range and intensity used. Very much like a 20 rep squat. And boy do they work!

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
For back thickness I think Kroc’s, Pendlay’s, and the like are great (and will build some width as well).

But honestly, if width is your primary objective, IMO you’re better off going with low lat rows. Here is Dave Tate doing some using a rope attachment (you could use just about any attachment though):

This is the exercise that Justin Harris primarily accredits his huge improvements in terms of back width to.[/quote]

very interesting… is the head meant to be kept down like that, or is he purposely leaning forward in the video? should you be pulling the rope slightly upward (this is how it appears in the video)?

thanks. any more info on this exercise would be appreciated

as for others:

quick update…tried underhand grip BB rows (dorian yates style) and I think I noticed my back contracting a little bit more. the difference wasn’t very dramatic though. i’ll keep experimenting.

[quote]youngblood52 wrote:
what is the best type of BB Row form to concentrate on the lats/back width?

• what angle should your back be at (relative to the floor)
  • how wide should the grip be
  • overhand or underhand grip
  • where should you pull the bar to…belly? chest? etc…?
  • any other tips you can think of

thanks guys[/quote]

1. 45 to 70 degrees, depending on how you want to do them. Dorian Yates did them at am especially high angle when he switched to the underhand grip.

2. You can use both grips.

3. Belly or lower chest.

4. You will need to use a TINY amount of leg drive to progress in this exercise.

Personally I think of BB Rows as more of a thickness movement, but no doubt you can use them to improve width. OP, I assume you’re already doing chin-ups/pulldowns?