T Nation

BB Row Form for Back Width?

what is the best type of BB Row form to concentrate on the lats/back width?

  • what angle should your back be at (relative to the floor)
  • how wide should the grip be
  • overhand or underhand grip
  • where should you pull the bar to…belly? chest? etc…?
  • any other tips you can think of

thanks guys

Pendlay Rows work for me.

Kroc DB Rows are becoming more and more popular, and for good reason.

They are my prefered way to do rows.

[quote]RossDB wrote:
Kroc DB Rows are becoming more and more popular, and for good reason.

They are my prefered way to do rows.[/quote]

Mine, too

[quote]RossDB wrote:
Kroc DB Rows are becoming more and more popular, and for good reason.

They are my prefered way to do rows.[/quote]

I love these. You can move up on weight fast. I am sad my gym only has dumbells up to 150.

thx for the tips guys but I don’t currently have access to dumbells…so…any advice specific for the BB row?

I like to use a grip slightly inside from my bench grip and pull with my back parallel to the floor. Also if you pull with an arc so the bar hits your abs you will feel it a lot more in your lats. I believe good form is everything on these, meaning no back or leg momentum for help.

When you pick the bar up stand all the way up with it then bendover. Seems to be alot more comfortable for me. Start light do what feels right and start piling on the weight. Happy rowing!

another question: how much can you guys bb row compared to your bench?

what proportion is generally considered to be “balanced” (ie there are no major imbalances between back strength and chest/shoulder/tri strength)?

Not sure about my max bb row, but I can do 245x5 nice and controlled and 365x5 on bench. This seems fairly balanced to me

Various Famous Trainers have said the row should equal the bench, but their statements have generally not specified the method of rowing. I recently read one of them saying either that, or providing example figures for strength he considered balanced where the weights were about equal, specifying an angle of 45 degrees.

Also, form is so variable.

I would tend to agree with the principle of approximately equal weights where the row is at 45 degrees and where there is no leg drive.

If you go to a 20 degree (Yates) row and especially if using leg drive such as Coleman uses, I would think the row should be considerably more than the bench for same reps.

What is a “Kroc DB Row?”

[quote]Beerguy wrote:

His videos are so badass.

Really, I guess I’ve been doing Kroc rows since day one with the 30lbers.

I have been doing the “Krock DB Row” for about 15 years and never knew it by anything other then a DB row?

I currently do 90lb on rows, striving for balance, I can do 120’s with right arm but my left shoulder will not take over 90lb.

I watched the video… still not sure what a kroc row is.

Like… is it the angle he holds the dumbells at or is that just because the dumbells are so long? Same with his stance, range of motion, etc.

Just want to make sure i understand what the goal of a kroc db row is compared to the standard one handed db row.

It’s just a question of being within a range that is close to this in terms of start and end positions, speeds/momentum, and degree/nature of body movement.

In other words, a “DB Row” can be an enormously varied thing. Torso angle can vary, start point can vary, where you pull it to can vary, whether straight or arced, concentric and eccentric speed, degree of twisting of the torso, any motion of the hips, probably more than this.

Whereas when someone says a Kroc Row they don’t mean something radically different than how Kroczaleski is known to do this row. When he DB rows that way. (It is not the only method he ever uses.)

As to what his goal is, better lockout in the deadlift.

As to what my goal is, better midback/upper back.

Your goal might be better lats.

Or having an exercise in there that is productive at quite high reps, or having something that’s very good as an explosive movement. Maybe some other reason.

[quote]DJS wrote:
I watched the video… still not sure what a kroc row is.

Like… is it the angle he holds the dumbells at or is that just because the dumbells are so long? Same with his stance, range of motion, etc.

Just want to make sure i understand what the goal of a kroc db row is compared to the standard one handed db row.[/quote]

Kind of a slightly cheated, heavy weight, high rep dumbell row set. Think of it as to the “20 rep squat” for rows.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:
DJS wrote:
I watched the video… still not sure what a kroc row is.

Like… is it the angle he holds the dumbells at or is that just because the dumbells are so long? Same with his stance, range of motion, etc.

Just want to make sure i understand what the goal of a kroc db row is compared to the standard one handed db row.

Kind of a slightly cheated, heavy weight, high rep dumbell row set. Think of it as to the “20 rep squat” for rows.[/quote]

Thanks! Makes sense now.