T Nation

BB/Fitness Magazines

These magazines are totally full of ads of supplements and equipment.
Don’t you think that the sponsors/advertisers have a strong influence on the articles (in a negative way) ?
If a magazine is sponsored by XY supplement,there’s no way the writers are gonna write bad things about that XY brand…

So, do you guys trust these magazines ?!

not at all. They are all trash. So little is new

No.
You have to pay the bills.
Have you not read the articles on this site?
They all even include giant photos of Biotest products.

I read Muscle and Fitness, but my one bone to pick is the fact that EVERY issue they tout Nitric Oxide as the absolute end all, be all of supplementation. N.O. is crap, look it up here on T Nation for proof.

Im my opinion, most fitness magazines, especially Mens Fitness and Men’s Health are aimed at guys in their 30’s who drive Jaguars and go to the gym once a week, not knowing what they’re doing. they print shitty advice, they don’t focus on actual muscle building, that’s why they’ll print an article about the benefits of a balance ball, or some other pointless exercise.

(you know the kind I’m talking about, they curl in the squat rack, talk on their fucking cell phones and mess with their IPODS for an hour rather than try and get some work done!)

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
In my opinion, most fitness magazines, especially Mens Fitness and Men’s Health are aimed at guys in their 30’s who drive Jaguars and go to the gym once a week, not knowing what they’re doing. they print shitty advice, they don’t focus on actual muscle building, that’s why they’ll print an article about the benefits of a balance ball, or some other pointless exercise.

(you know the kind I’m talking about, they curl in the squat rack, talk on their fucking cell phones and mess with their IPODS for an hour rather than try and get some work done!)[/quote]

You’re entitled to your own opinion and in some instances your opinions may be correct, but I’ll respectfully disagree with you.

Men’s Health has some pretty sound exercise advice. Respected guys like Dan John and Alwyn Cosgrove have written some great training articles for the magazine. I’m also a fan of their nutritional advice (the recipes are good). Yes they do tend to scale more to a businessman who makes a decent salary, but there’s nothing wrong with that. I simply skip over the office politics stuff since it doesn’t apply to my job situation.

Men’s Fitness has hired a new EIC and I think he’s taking the magazine in a good direction. They had a pretty interesting feature on Reggie Bush’s off-season training in the past issue, and there’s usually some good training tips in there.

I don’t think any magazine can be considered the Holy Grail, but I think to discount all of them as rubbish isn’t necessarily fair either.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
I read Muscle and Fitness, but my one bone to pick is the fact that EVERY issue they tout Nitric Oxide as the absolute end all, be all of supplementation. N.O. is crap, look it up here on T Nation for proof.

Im my opinion, most fitness magazines, especially Mens Fitness and Men’s Health are aimed at guys in their 30’s who drive Jaguars and go to the gym once a week, not knowing what they’re doing. they print shitty advice, they don’t focus on actual muscle building, that’s why they’ll print an article about the benefits of a balance ball, or some other pointless exercise.

(you know the kind I’m talking about, they curl in the squat rack, talk on their fucking cell phones and mess with their IPODS for an hour rather than try and get some work done!)[/quote]

LOL! Fuck those idgits whose agendas differ from our own!

I think Mens Fitness and Mens Health are only mags worth reading. Mens Fitness actually has sound advice for people who want to do whatever…stronger,leaner,etc. All the others are just marketing tools for the billion…thats right…billion dollar supplement industry.

I agree with many of the points. Things that also irritate me are only photos of steroid assisted trainees (which this site is doing much more of as well) which promotes a totally unrealistic view of muscular development and programs that are also designed for those on steroids.

As a young fella I would read these magazines and realise 2 things. 1) that my body was puny and pathetic and 2) that I needed to do a body part split with 30+ work sets every workout.

How good do you think my progress was?

When I found T-Nation, I was angry that I had been lied to by the mainstream mags. Not once had I read a program designed for a natural trainee.

Yeah, Men’s Health does assume you’re a Goldman Sachs wheeler/dealer or some such most of the time, but I find it does have great articles. Sure, it’s not a pumping iron mag - it doesn’t pretend to be - but I’ve found their exercise and diet advice article to be pretty A-rate.

Agreed, I don’t need to know the suave ways to kiss the boss’s ass in the office either, but they do balance out the white collar drama BS with a lot of sound advice.

My only real gripe with MH is the occasional nonsense by-line they throw on the cover, like the lose fat in 3 weeks thing or do this exercise and score hot chicks spiel.

Good all round mag IMHO.