BB 3 Day Split Criique With Hip Injury

For the past 14 weeks I’ve been doing Starting Strength and 531 for the OHP when I stalled a second time. Have gained about 20#s, been seeing all kinds of strength gains (now doing worksets of 270 on the squat), but for at least the next six weeks I will need to change it up. Monday I’m going to have my first of two PRP injections in my hip to help fix a torn labrum. While the labrum is mending, the Dr doesn’t want me to do any weighted exercise that requires more than 20 degrees of flexion.

Given this limitation, I thought it would be best to change to a BB split (my goals are actually more aesthetic than performance anyway) so I can work my upper body with more frequency. As tempting as it is to just do bench and bicep curls all day every day, I’ve spent the past five or six days researching this site learning about rep scheme and splits, so here we go:

Day 1
Quads: Leg extentions, Modified Squats?, Step-Ups off a small step
Chest: Bench, Flys, Dips
Calves: Seated raise, Standing Raises

Day 2
Back: Pull ups, DB Rows, Lat Pull downs, Close grip row
Hamstring: Leg Curls, Modified deadlifts?
Traps: Shrugs, Farmers walk
Abs: Planks, russian twists, curls, and ab roller

Day 3
Triceps: Rope extention, cable extention, push ups
Biceps: BB curls, Hammer curls
Shoulders: OHP, lateral raise, rear delt raise
Calves: Seated and standing raises.

Rep scheme:
Thinking I should still follow the SS for bench and 531 for the press, but I’m willing to give that up if you think that messes everything else up.

For pretty much everything else:
Week 1: 2 sets 12 reps, 1-2 min rest
Week 2: 3 sets 8 resp, 1-3 min rest
Week 3: 4 sets 5 reps, 1-4 min rest

So my questions are:

1. Do I have enough exercises per bodypart? I’m not very familiar with exercises besides the three big PL, so I took these from the “best exercise for X” series

2. Is the rep scheme ok? Is trying to maintain the SS and 531 program going to mess everything else up? Honestly I’m fine giving it up since I’m more concerned with looks than strength, I just figured I’m such a noob going for either one can satisfy both goals.

3. Should I do this routine on a MWF schedule, or do it three days on, one day off?

4. Should I try to go to failure on the last set of the exercises? I read in some places you should always go to failure, but others say it’s good for training to leave something in the tank, so I’m a bit confused.

I kind of hate that I’m asking this question, I know there are so many noobs on here that ask for this kind of help, but I really did try my best to come up with it on my own. I thank you for all and any help.

I too have a torn labrum, it sometimes scrapes or pops out and scares me alot, but I’ve noticed a large improvement in my confidence with it when I started doing shoulder dislocations with a broomstick.

Sorry mine is shoulder

this i just my opinion but if your only gonna train 3 days a week you may aswell stick with full body.

but if you wanna do it like that then atleast either pair muscle like chest/back legs/abs delts/arms or push pull legs.

[quote]CacheMnyMustang wrote:

So my questions are:

1. Do I have enough exercises per bodypart? I’m not very familiar with exercises besides the three big PL, so I took these from the “best exercise for X” series

2. Is the rep scheme ok? Is trying to maintain the SS and 531 program going to mess everything else up? Honestly I’m fine giving it up since I’m more concerned with looks than strength, I just figured I’m such a noob going for either one can satisfy both goals.

3. Should I do this routine on a MWF schedule, or do it three days on, one day off?

4. Should I try to go to failure on the last set of the exercises? I read in some places you should always go to failure, but others say it’s good for training to leave something in the tank, so I’m a bit confused.

I kind of hate that I’m asking this question, I know there are so many noobs on here that ask for this kind of help, but I really did try my best to come up with it on my own. I thank you for all and any help.[/quote]

Ultimately, it’s all about making adjustments based on how things work for you, but in terms of a starting point, that split you’ve outlined could work.

1. Sure, that’s enough exercises per body part.

2. As far as that rep scheme goes, I don’t think you are giving each range a long enough run to reap any serious benefits. In fact, you might do better by simplifying and just sticking to that middle rep range for 4-6 weeks for the majority of your work, and maybe throw in just a few lower-rep sets and a few higher-rep sets in each session.

3. I like 3 on 1 off better

4. Going to failure on just the last set isn’t going to kill you and possibly could help.

Keep in mind that there are big debates on almost every question you’ve raised, so you’re not gonna find the ultimate answer here. At best, you’ll get a few different views to pick from. My advice would be to pick your path, lock into it, and then stop seeking input during your trial run. Give it a month and don’t analyze it or question it. That’s the best way to really learn from what you’re doing.

Good luck.

[quote]Serge A. Storms wrote:
Ultimately, it’s all about making adjustments based on how things work for you, but in terms of a starting point, that split you’ve outlined could work.

1. Sure, that’s enough exercises per body part.

2. As far as that rep scheme goes, I don’t think you are giving each range a long enough run to reap any serious benefits. In fact, you might do better by simplifying and just sticking to that middle rep range for 4-6 weeks for the majority of your work, and maybe throw in just a few lower-rep sets and a few higher-rep sets in each session.

3. I like 3 on 1 off better

4. Going to failure on just the last set isn’t going to kill you and possibly could help.

Keep in mind that there are big debates on almost every question you’ve raised, so you’re not gonna find the ultimate answer here. At best, you’ll get a few different views to pick from. My advice would be to pick your path, lock into it, and then stop seeking input during your trial run. Give it a month and don’t analyze it or question it. That’s the best way to really learn from what you’re doing.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Thanks man appreciate the advice. Concerning the rep scheme, I’m not really a fan of what I put up but there was an article that said to do this for size, and I want to be hyooge. …I really like 531 + BBB with the accessory work, so I’m thinking of trying to apply that idea (Big compound movement done with heavy weight, 5 reps, followed by lighter, smaller exercises done for higher reps to get volume work in). So I might try something like that. But like you said, whatever I am going to try I will stick with it. So far I’m not an intuitive lifter, I need rigid structure, else the wheels come off and I end up doing nothing. That’s why I want to set up the structure beforehand so that I will be happy and won’t want to change on the fly. For goodness sake, I’ve been doing SS for 14 weeks, and I’ve been loving it. Makes me feel boring, lol.

i do a 3 day and it looks somthing like this.
push,
flat or decline bench
ohp
incline bench
shoulder press
flys
lateral raise
3 x tris

legs
squat variation
press
extension/step up/lunge
calves
leg curl
rdl’s
glute bridge

pull
pull up
row variation
deadlift
pull up/row variation
rear delts
2 x bis

takes about 1.15-1.30h
bench,squat,dead usually up to 3/4 rep max
try and get a clean and press,snatch in aswell if i have time
wouldnt call it a bb style more mix of bb/pl/very amiture oli lifts
hope it helps good luck

[quote]davyboy wrote:
i do a 3 day and it looks somthing like this.
push,
flat or decline bench
ohp
incline bench
shoulder press
flys
lateral raise
3 x tris

legs
squat variation
press
extension/step up/lunge
calves
leg curl
rdl’s
glute bridge

pull
pull up
row variation
deadlift
pull up/row variation
rear delts
2 x bis

takes about 1.15-1.30h
bench,squat,dead usually up to 3/4 rep max
try and get a clean and press,snatch in aswell if i have time
wouldnt call it a bb style more mix of bb/pl/very amiture oli lifts
hope it helps good luck

[/quote]

Thanks man, appreciate it. Forgot about RDLs, that’s something that I might be able to do with real limited ROM. One reason why I didn’t do a push/pull/leg scheme is that I won’t be able to really squat, leg press, deadlift, lunge, or any oly lift (esp oly lift) while I’m recovering, and rather than really lifting only two days a week this will allow me to push myself each time I lift.