T Nation

Battles BC

Did anyone watch that on the History Channel today. Nice to see that they got a “Good” new show. Can’t wait to see it next week, I was expecting them to do The 300 again but was glad that it wasn’t. I really like the ppl the got to do they show too.

Ill have to down load the show, is it called battles bc?

Just got done watching it myself. Very cool. But, I’ve always been a bit of a history buff, military history especially, so I’m predisposed to like a show like this.

Plus, no matter what anyone says about it being gay, I liked 300.

If you are a history buff you would have hated 300 it was so far from what actually happened it made me sick :slight_smile:

[quote]jzzz wrote:
Ill have to down load the show, is it called battles bc?[/quote]

Yep

[quote]grappler_123 wrote:
Just got done watching it myself. Very cool. But, I’ve always been a bit of a history buff, military history especially, so I’m predisposed to like a show like this.

Plus, no matter what anyone says about it being gay, I liked 300.[/quote]

I like the movie too, I was talking about show History did on the battle right b4 the movie came out. I know I have seen it 7 or 8 times, they even said thats what inspired this show.

Next week is David: The Giant Killer.

[quote]jzzz wrote:
If you are a history buff you would have hated 300 it was so far from what actually happened it made me sick :)[/quote]

I minored in classical civilizations, and I hated 300 the first time I saw it. Every subsequent time I watched it I would forget a little more about the historical faults and just enjoy it as a movie.

I have the Battles BC waiting on the DVR for my next free hour.

[quote]jzzz wrote:
If you are a history buff you would have hated 300 it was so far from what actually happened it made me sick :)[/quote]

… Wasn’t supposed to be about what really happened, it was about the Miller graphic novel and it was great for what it was. Also there were a lot of small things that were historically accurate like most of the weapons and armor. Even some of the lines in the movie came straight from accounts of what was said like, “Our arrows will blot out the sun.” “Then we will fight in the shade” and “…throw down your spears.” “…if you want them come and get them”.

But like I said it was what it was intended to be and it was great for what it was.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
jzzz wrote:
If you are a history buff you would have hated 300 it was so far from what actually happened it made me sick :slight_smile:

… Wasn’t supposed to be about what really happened, it was about the Miller graphic novel and it was great for what it was. Also there were a lot of small things that were historically accurate like most of the weapons and armor. Even some of the lines in the movie came straight from accounts of what was said like, “Our arrows will blot out the sun.” “Then we will fight in the shade” and “…throw down your spears.” “…if you want them come and get them”.

But like I said it was what it was intended to be and it was great for what it was.
[/quote]

Summed it up right there. Anybody who went in to see 300 and was expected a historically accurate movie was a fool. It was an action movie, and for that it delivered.

But it did factually show what happened. That’s the way it was. The story was embellished but the basics were there.

Wanted to see it, just didn’t have the time … but it’s on the history channel so I’m sure I’ll be able to catch re-runs of the show every 3 weeks or so … either that or the secret history of nazi’s in america

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Wanted to see it, just didn’t have the time … but it’s on the history channel so I’m sure I’ll be able to catch re-runs of the show every 3 weeks or so … either that or the secret history of nazi’s in america[/quote]

I heard a joke one time that the History channel should just change their name to the Hitler channel because they are always showing something about Hitler, the Nazis, or WW2.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
polo77j wrote:
Wanted to see it, just didn’t have the time … but it’s on the history channel so I’m sure I’ll be able to catch re-runs of the show every 3 weeks or so … either that or the secret history of nazi’s in america

I heard a joke one time that the History channel should just change their name to the Hitler channel because they are always showing something about Hitler, the Nazis, or WW2.[/quote]

I just spat juice out of my mouth lol

I enjoyed it as well. I can’t wait to see the “Warriors” series. That looks like it might be pretty good.
And as far as 300 goes, it’s a movie, not a documentary.

Caught the first episode on DVR last night when I got home from the gym. Loved it. Good basic outline of the history, detailed explanation of the battlefield and the tactics with a good summary - but really liked the reenactment scenes of the battles - no fake sword thrusts to the left armpit - lol!!

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
But like I said it was what it was intended to be
[/quote]

So in other words, they are who we thought they were?

I thought Battles BC was great.

Hannibal was a bad muthafucker.

Did anyone on here check out “Warriors” on the History Channel?

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
polo77j wrote:

I heard a joke one time that the History channel should just change their name to the Hitler channel because they are always showing something about Hitler, the Nazis, or WW2.[/quote]

Agreed. Or it should be renamed ‘Male Juvenile Entertainment Channel’. The whole trend of ‘cartoonize’ action movies is just plain retarded. After a while, it robs the action sequences their ability to induce suspense of disbelief. It becomes cliche.

There are few cinematographic techniques that remain “novel” and give you that “woa” feeling no matter what: muting, washing out the colors, quick camera panning, tactful slow down - all of these are shown in one way or another in Gladiator, Black Hack Down and Apocalypto. These are timeless with a good director and screen play.

The cartoon feeling in “300” was nice, but it quickly eroded and became cliche in subsequent films.

With “Battles BC”, it feels like a 3-week old slice of pizza sitting in the fridge.

I strongly liked the narrative of events in the “Hannibal” episode, and it would have been a lot more fucking great had History Channel had abstained from using the ‘lets-target-the-males-in-need-of-war-cartoons-to-feel-they-have-balls’ factor.

Put that with the ‘yet-another-Nazi-docutaiment’ and ‘MonsterQuest: Hunting for the Giant Chicken With Penises for Legs, friend of Elvis Who Still Lives’ and ‘Jurassic Fight Club: Let’s Stretch a Fucking Fact Already Established That Can Be Described in 5 Minutes Into a Hour-Long Mystery Docudrama’.

History Channel is a retarded joke.

[quote]elnyka wrote:

Agreed. Or it should be renamed ‘Male Juvenile Entertainment Channel’. The whole trend of ‘cartoonize’ action movies is just plain retarded. After a while, it robs the action sequences their ability to induce suspense of disbelief. It becomes cliche.

There are few cinematographic techniques that remain “novel” and give you that “woa” feeling no matter what: muting, washing out the colors, quick camera panning, tactful slow down - all of these are shown in one way or another in Gladiator, Black Hack Down and Apocalypto. These are timeless with a good director and screen play.

The cartoon feeling in “300” was nice, but it quickly eroded and became cliche in subsequent films.

With “Battles BC”, it feels like a 3-week old slice of pizza sitting in the fridge.

I strongly liked the narrative of events in the “Hannibal” episode, and it would have been a lot more fucking great had History Channel had abstained from using the ‘lets-target-the-males-in-need-of-war-cartoons-to-feel-they-have-balls’ factor.

Put that with the ‘yet-another-Nazi-docutaiment’ and ‘MonsterQuest: Hunting for the Giant Chicken With Penises for Legs, friend of Elvis Who Still Lives’ and ‘Jurassic Fight Club: Let’s Stretch a Fucking Fact Already Established That Can Be Described in 5 Minutes Into a Hour-Long Mystery Docudrama’.

History Channel is a retarded joke.[/quote]

Who’s there?