gunter

flex wheeler

flex wheeler part 2

lee priest

kevin levrone

kevin levrone part 2

jean pierre fux

ronnie coleman

What amazes me the most about a lot of these guys is how many of them you don’t realize have wives and children and other things they do outside of bodybuilding… yet they still have the drive to push themselves to an elite level.

These guys on average I think are busier than any of the people that come here and say “hey T-Nation i’m in school and work part time, I don’t have all the time in the world to work out like these pro bodybuilders! Can I just do some pushups at home and get hyuge?”

Another observation is that here we are over a DECADE later, and the basics have not changed at all.

Big chests are still built with barbell and dumbbell benching.

Big backs are still built with lat pulldowns and rows.

Big arms are still built with curls, pushdowns, and bar extensions.

Wide delts are still built with lateral raises.

etc.etc.etc…

I wish the direction of this website wasn’t so obsessed with re-inventing the wheel all of the time… paying guru authors thousands of dollars just to mislead people and talk out of their ass, meanwhile you couldn’t pick that same author out of a crowd of people based on their physique.

“Always stick to the basics, A B and C. Never try to rewrite the book.” ~Lee Haney

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Another observation is that here we are over a DECADE later, and the basics have not changed at all.

Big chests are still built with barbell and dumbbell benching.

Big backs are still built with lat pulldowns and rows.

Big arms are still built with curls, pushdowns, and bar extensions.

Wide delts are still built with lateral raises.

etc.etc.etc…

I wish the direction of this website wasn’t so obsessed with re-inventing the wheel all of the time… paying guru authors thousands of dollars just to mislead people and talk out of their ass, meanwhile you couldn’t pick that same author out of a crowd of people based on their physique.

“Always stick to the basics, A B and C. Never try to rewrite the book.” ~Lee Haney[/quote]

agreed but lately it seems like theres a better atmosphere yano

Absolutely, and when there is an overwhelming demand for a return to traditional bodybuilding and our love for it, things will change.

But right now what is catered to is the lowest common denominator (not just speaking of this website).

I don’t know why, but I always liked Paul Dilett and Flex Wheeler. I get the feeling that people view both of those guys as lazy though. Why’s that the case?

On a seperate note, Lee Priest is plain obscene. I never realised how big his traps were, always focused on the bis.

Good series of videos. Thanks for throwing them up.

Edit: tris, not traps

You’re amazed that the basics haven’t changed a DECADE later ?

People have used the basics to get bigger for a lot longer then 11 years.

And i doubt any of these guys got a majority of their arm size from pushdowns, or a majority of their back size from lat pulldowns.

Those are useful moves, but I wouldnt put either of them in the top 5 for developing either part.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
You’re amazed that the basics haven’t changed a DECADE later ?

People have used the basics to get bigger for a lot longer then 11 years.

And i doubt any of these guys got a majority of their arm size from pushdowns, or a majority of their back size from lat pulldowns.

Those are useful moves, but I wouldnt put either of them in the top 5 for developing either part.

[/quote]

I didn’t say I was amazed, I said it was an observation… one that I wish more beginners would take notice of.

Nor did I say a decade was the limit on the basics… that just happened to be how old this video was.

As far as lat pulldowns and tricep pushdowns go, I mentioned rows, and curls and extensions, if you somehow missed that.

People can say oh close-grip bench is better for building the triceps, or chins are better for the back, blah blah blah. Those are perfectly fine exercises, but things like tricep pushdowns and lat pulldowns are exercises that every decent bodybuilder uses, and has always used.