T Nation

Batteground Walmart

I think this an ideal format to start a battle to unionize Walmart. Walmart epitomizes the mistreatment and exploitation of cheap labor . IMO the rest of American labor that feels America should choose Walmart as the battleground . Let the demagoguery beging

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Walmart epitomizes the mistreatment and exploitation of cheap labor . [/quote]

I’m not (at least at this point) saying you are wrong, but answer this please:

How so?

Yes, exploitation of people with no education, no skills, and a crappy work ethic by giving them jobs.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Let the demagoguery beging [/quote]

Lol. I like how almost all your posting involves using the word “demagoguery”. Serious.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

How so? [/quote]

Best place to start a movement , from the bottom up

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

How so? [/quote]

Best place to start a movement , from the bottom up[/quote]

No, no, that isn’t what I’m asking. I’m asking how Wal-Mat “epitomizes the mistreatment and exploitation of cheap labor”?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Yes, exploitation of people with no education, no skills, and a crappy work ethic by giving them jobs.[/quote]

Exactly lets Walmart function with out uneducated or unskilled people

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

How so? [/quote]

No, no, that isn’t what I’m asking. I’m asking how Wal-Mat “epitomizes the mistreatment and exploitation of cheap labor”?[/quote]

It is the bottom of the food chain in America , by the account of the Right wing of America think they should in fact be glad they are not welfare recipients making more money and getting free health care

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

How so? [/quote]

No, no, that isn’t what I’m asking. I’m asking how Wal-Mat “epitomizes the mistreatment and exploitation of cheap labor”?[/quote]

It is the bottom of the food chain in America , by the account of the Right wing of America think they should in fact be glad they are not welfare recipients making more money and getting free health care [/quote]

You aren’t answering the question.

What does Wal-Mart do that is “the mistreatment and exploitation of cheap labor”.

If you can’t define this very statement how can we have a conversation about your idea?

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Let the demagoguery beging [/quote]

Lol. I like how almost all your posting involves using the word “demagoguery”. Serious.[/quote]

Good point , IMO I use the word demagogued more :slight_smile:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

How so? [/quote]

It is the bottom of the food chain in America , by the account of the Right wing of America think they should in fact be glad they are not welfare recipients making more money and getting free health care [/quote]

You aren’t answering the question.

What does Wal-Mart do that is “the mistreatment and exploitation of cheap labor”.

If you can’t define this very statement how can we have a conversation about your idea?[/quote]

IMO exploiting cheap labor is the mistreatment

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[/quote]

How do they exploit them?

That is the question. What is it that happens that makes you think of “wage slavery”?

What actual events bring you to this conclusion?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[/quote]

How do they exploit them?

That is the question. What is it that happens that makes you think of “wage slavery”?

What actual events bring you to this conclusion?[/quote]

I am curious why or what you do not understand ? IMO exploiting cheap labor is mistreatment

So that Wal-Mart can be the next Hostess? I think that we need good governess, treat our workers well, but union rolls have been dropping due to workers finding fewer needs for them. Additionally Wal-Mart has problems as do many big box retailers - the internet. Fewer people are shopping at stores. Instead people are bargain hunting online. Thought economist Thomas Sowell had a nice write up about Hostess and past union efforts that led to the companies bankruptcy.

“Unions Kill The Goose That Made Hostess Brands Gold”

The Washington Post had a good write up about the sales troubles many of the big box retailers are now having due to online stores.

“A Black Friday for Wal-Mart”

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/11/20/a-black-friday-for-wal-mart/

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Yes, exploitation of people with no education, no skills, and a crappy work ethic by giving them jobs.[/quote]

[/quote]

Sure thing. It’s called quitting your job.

Don’t you understand Beans? If it wasn’t for Walmarts exploitation of its workers, they would all be CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies making millions a year. Jeez, haven’t you been keeping up on all the stories of Walmart’s press gangs kidnapping and forcing these poor people to work for wages far less than their experience and education should command in a fair market economy?

ya… my Mom works for Walmart, and not any sort of management position…

She receives benefits.

She has a schedule that is flexible and works around her other activities.

She receives bi-annual raises.

She receives a substantial discount on already cheap goods.

On the other hand,

She has no post-secondary education, even though she had ample opportunity to attend.

English is her second language.

She has no basic computer skills.

She really has no marketable skills ( housewife for 20 years)

She’s over 50.

Walmart gave my mom a job after she struggled to find one for about 2 months.

She enjoys it, has had other opportunities open up, but has chosen to stay.

This is exploitation how ?

[quote]Menthol wrote:
So that Wal-Mart can be the next Hostess? I think that we need good governess, treat our workers well, but union rolls have been dropping due to workers finding fewer needs for them. Additionally Wal-Mart has problems as do many big box retailers - the internet. Fewer people are shopping at stores. Instead people are bargain hunting online. Thought economist Thomas Sowell had a nice write up about Hostess and past union efforts that led to the companies bankruptcy.

“Unions Kill The Goose That Made Hostess Brands Gold”

The Washington Post had a good write up about the sales troubles many of the big box retailers are now having due to online stores.

“A Black Friday for Wal-Mart”

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/11/20/a-black-friday-for-wal-mart/[/quote]

There are many many things that led to the final bankruptcy of Hostess, that lay at both the feet of the union and management.

/end hijack

The point I’m trying to make is that Walmart largely provides jobs for people that would otherwise be unemployable.

Is it a great job? No.

Can you live on the wage? Yes, but it’s difficult.

I would guess that roughly half of the people working at my local Walmart are either very old, or very young. They have no skills, and are paid what they’re worth.

You could even make the argument that Walmart is charitable in it’s hiring in some respects. They hire 70+ y/o door greeters…They pay people to stand in place and say “Hi”…

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

Sure thing. It’s called quitting your job. [/quote]

Then we could support them with welfare